What have you done to your car today?

Trouble free miles minus general maintenance woohoo
View attachment 239626
What car ?! Inconceivable!

Sleeve Art

Yesterday changed the front / rear diff fluids and xfer case fluid on my 2019 Ram. today tried the 4wd......get a service light. won't shift into 4wd. have not used it since winter. you tube traced me to the front differential lock actuator. 90% confidence. Part on order. back underneath soon. the wild card is the plug for the actuator is right under the oil filter which.....thank you Stellantis engineers....is a total abortion when you pull the filter oil all over the plug every time. pulled the plug seems clean on the inside but we'll see. Hoping I don't have to replace that wire harness section.

Yesterday changed the front / rear diff fluids and xfer case fluid on my 2019 Ram. today tried the 4wd......get a service light. won't shift into 4wd. have not used it since winter. you tube traced me to the front differential lock actuator. 90% confidence. Part on order. back underneath soon. the wild card is the plug for the actuator is right under the oil filter which.....thank you Stellantis engineers....is a total abortion when you pull the filter oil all over the plug every time. pulled the plug seems clean on the inside but we'll see. Hoping I don't have to replace that wire harness section.

im assuming you dont have a hemi (since i do and it dumps the oil filter all over the power steering motor) but you need one of these for your DIY oil changes, looks and sound stupid but saves SOOO much mess.

also of note, either you drive even more than i do or your changing your fluid way early since im pretty sure its called out for 120k on my 2017

im assuming you dont have a hemi (since i do and it dumps the oil filter all over the power steering motor) but you need one of these for your DIY oil changes, looks and sound stupid but saves SOOO much mess.

also of note, either you drive even more than i do or your changing your fluid way early since im pretty sure its called out for 120k on my 2017
Its a hemi. first year 5th gen though. that udder looks nice but useless in my case. To get the filter out it has to be turned sideways and encouraged to take an annoying path that takes it over that actuator plug. Yes I do drive more than you and I tow. I also don't take the see how long I can take it approach or the one of the guys who are changing diff fluid at 30k. I find myself in the middle.

Its a hemi. first year 5th gen though. that udder looks nice but useless in my case. To get the filter out it has to be turned sideways and encouraged to take an annoying path that takes it over that actuator plug. Yes I do drive more than you and I tow. I also don't take the see how long I can take it approach or the one of the guys who are changing diff fluid at 30k. I find myself in the middle.

It doesnt sound too much different from the 4th gen, i have the one with a hose on it so it can be drained right into the pan, could always use one of these and puch a hole with a scredriver and a hammer to save yourself some mess. I havent spilled a drop of oil on this truck between the udder and the nospillsystems drain valve on the oil pan.

i should have noted, i drive ~30k/year so your in a small group there if you do more, but i find myself following the recommended intervals on these things, and the fluid that came out of mine at 120k still looked fine (i rarely tow, but do find the bed overloaded with a surprising frequency), i didnt send them off to blackstone or anything crazy to confirm, but without the limited slip the gears dont need a whole lot.

I have a 2023 ram 1500 4x4 with a hemi as well and I have had pretty good results with one of those "flex funnels" found on Amazon.......its basically a rubber coated flat piece a metal that you can bend and mold to fit a cover how you need to protect things when taking out the filter ...it was like $20 for 2 of them

It doesnt sound too much different from the 4th gen, i have the one with a hose on it so it can be drained right into the pan, could always use one of these and puch a hole with a scredriver and a hammer to save yourself some mess. I havent spilled a drop of oil on this truck between the udder and the nospillsystems drain valve on the oil pan.

i should have noted, i drive ~30k/year so your in a small group there if you do more, but i find myself following the recommended intervals on these things, and the fluid that came out of mine at 120k still looked fine (i rarely tow, but do find the bed overloaded with a surprising frequency), i didnt send them off to blackstone or anything crazy to confirm, but without the limited slip the gears dont need a whole lot.
My friend has a 2017 and has challenges but a bit different. although I haven't stuck my head under his during an oil change. You drive more. I've got 90K on this. 3.92 rear limited slip. Fluid didn't look terrible but was pretty dark...glad I changed it. Same on the transfer case it was OK and a little dark. The front diff was a waste of fluid, ran out gold. When I decided to do the rear I just decided to do a clean sweep of all. one and done for as long as I'll own this.

Something like you showed with a hose as you mentioned has me thinking though to at least get the bulk and what @skully as well. Enough comes out that you can't just capture it and then get it out. for my first change I read a post about a guy who suggested using a bread bag.....might as well have been a hot oil water balloon. I ended up wearing half of it lol. I tolerated the mess but now I'm about done with it. tks for the suggestions.

My friend has a 2017 and has challenges but a bit different. although I haven't stuck my head under his during an oil change. You drive more. I've got 90K on this. 3.92 rear limited slip. Fluid didn't look terrible but was pretty dark...glad I changed it. Same on the transfer case it was OK and a little dark. The front diff was a waste of fluid, ran out gold. When I decided to do the rear I just decided to do a clean sweep of all. one and done for as long as I'll own this.

Something like you showed with a hose as you mentioned has me thinking though to at least get the bulk and what @skully as well. Enough comes out that you can't just capture it and then get it out. for my first change I read a post about a guy who suggested using a bread bag.....might as well have been a hot oil water balloon. I ended up wearing half of it lol. I tolerated the mess but now I'm about done with it. tks for the suggestions.

as a side note, how has the 5th gen been? im contemplating an upgrade before the hemis are all gone, but i hear the 5th gens are thirstier than the 4ths (i regularly get 20 avg and have managed close 24 on the highway multiple times)

as a side note, how has the 5th gen been? im contemplating an upgrade before the hemis are all gone, but i hear the 5th gens are thirstier than the 4ths (i regularly get 20 avg and have managed close 24 on the highway multiple times)
I've heard of various annoying problems but I never really had any significant trouble. keep in mind if you get the hemi now its going to be an etorque. I don't think they have the straight hemi this current model year.

I get 18 - 20mpg depending on various factors. although I took the stock tires off and put on Nitto Ridge grapplers. Best I was doing before originally switching tires was 21-22. I have a big horn crew cab.
Overall it has been very good. I came from a 2007 GMC sierra which rusted to death and this has been far different. Only items of issue:
- Broken exhaust flange bolts at year 3.
- Evap purge solenoid 8 months ago
- 2 broken exhaust manifold bolts 6 months ago. one they couldn't get out an had to be drilled and tapped with a smaller bolt.
- I had a CEL come on 3 weeks ago. Could be the evap solenoid again based on code. don't know. Not rushing to deal with it.

Of note the factory brakes were ridiculously good in my opinion. I got 62K out of them and they weren't completely done when I replaced them and never warped or rusted badly.

I've heard of various annoying problems but I never really had any significant trouble. keep in mind if you get the hemi now its going to be an etorque. I don't think they have the straight hemi this current model year.

I get 18 - 20mpg depending on various factors. although I took the stock tires off and put on Nitto Ridge grapplers. Best I was doing before originally switching tires was 21-22. I have a big horn crew cab.
Overall it has been very good. I came from a 2007 GMC sierra which rusted to death and this has been far different. Only items of issue:
- Broken exhaust flange bolts at year 3.
- Evap purge solenoid 8 months ago
- 2 broken exhaust manifold bolts 6 months ago. one they couldn't get out an had to be drilled and tapped with a smaller bolt.
- I had a CEL come on 3 weeks ago. Could be the evap solenoid again based on code. don't know. Not rushing to deal with it.

Of note the factory brakes were ridiculously good in my opinion. I got 62K out of them and they weren't completely done when I replaced them and never warped or rusted badly.

Yea unfortunately it's etorque only at this point unless I get a classic (which is basically the same truck I have now so it's kinda like why bother) I will say that youv had more issues than I have but your also first model year of the refresh so.....

Thanks for the insight

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240604-145225_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240604-145225_Samsung Internet.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 19
Yea unfortunately it's etorque only at this point unless I get a classic (which is basically the same truck I have now so it's kinda like why bother) I will say that youv had more issues than I have but your also first model year of the refresh so.....

Thanks for the insight
I neglected to say the interior, ride and layout of the 5th gen is really nice. My buddy with the 2017 was jealous when I got it and still is. The crew cab has a LOT of space.

I neglected to say the interior, ride and layout of the 5th gen is really nice. My buddy with the 2017 was jealous when I got it and still is. The crew cab has a LOT of space.

Yea the crew cab is the biggest upgrade for me having the quad currently
The extra electronics in the cabin are just cake(but I do want them)

Back
Top Bottom