Which pedals are you using on your road/gravel bike?

its not a hack when favero sells the assioma spindles bare for this purpose (ok they intend it to be for spd-sl pedals, but still)

Yeahhhh, I'd be surprised if I didn't void my warranty by doing it. Especially riding them off road....I just broke down and bought a dedicated crank based power meter though, I was always terrified of using them on trails any rockier than LewMo.

Yeahhhh, I'd be surprised if I didn't void my warranty by doing it. Especially riding them off road....I just broke down and bought a dedicated crank based power meter though, I was always terrified of using them on trails any rockier than LewMo.

I dont find any need to have power data off road. Power trace is too peaky and inconsistent to do training rides with anyways.

I dont find any need to have power data off road. Power trace is too peaky and inconsistent to do training rides with anyways.

More of a nice to have for the post ride data than anything since I'm using TrainerRoad. It's obviously super hard to do any workouts on anything but flat rail trails. Having more data at your finger tips is never a bad thing.

More of a nice to have for the post ride data than anything since I'm using TrainerRoad. It's obviously super hard to do any workouts on anything but flat rail trails. Having more data at your finger tips is never a bad thing.

full disclosure, the cost of that data is the real reason i dont have power on the mtbs.

I’ve debated back and forth switching my gravel bike to something not SPD-SL but I am so used to roadie shoes and pedals I don’t know any better.

I’ve debated to switch to something else on the gravel bike but I don’t really take it to single track or anything that warrants it.

Been nearly 2 years riding road pedals and shoes with no issues. I use my old beat up road shoes for the gravel bike.

Reminds me I have to finally change the cleats for the Marty’s gravel ride this weekend.

I've run pure road pedals in the past, but for the past decade or so I've been running Crank Bros Candy pedals. Pretty much the same ones I run when riding XC. This is mainly because my regular road route has me walking across a couple of foot bridges over the Delaware River. And when I need to walk into shops for food/water refills, the easier walking mtn bike shoes are nice. When I do eventually buy a new road bike and possibly get a power meter (because I'm a data nerd), then I'll probably go back to Speedplays, although I may try another type. I seem to be the only one who never really got along with the Speedplay cleat engagement.

For a gravel bike. Mtn bike pedals every day and twice on Sunday.

Have you found a source for cleats? A friend of mine is still running Frogs as well. Cleats seem to be getting hard to find.
I bought two sets and they both came with cleats, luckily I only have a set of feet … and don’t ride much, I should be fine for a while!

I’ve debated back and forth switching my gravel bike to something not SPD-SL but I am so used to roadie shoes and pedals I don’t know any better.
If it works for you, all good. They work for many people. My gripe against the SPD-SL is that the "float" isn't nearly as free as that of the SPD or Speedplay. Eventually bothers my knees.

I've run pure road pedals in the past, but for the past decade or so I've been running Crank Bros Candy pedals. Pretty much the same ones I run when riding XC. This is mainly because my regular road route has me walking across a couple of foot bridges over the Delaware River. And when I need to walk into shops for food/water refills, the easier walking mtn bike shoes are nice. When I do eventually buy a new road bike and possibly get a power meter (because I'm a data nerd), then I'll probably go back to Speedplays, although I may try another type. I seem to be the only one who never really got along with the Speedplay cleat engagement.

For a gravel bike. Mtn bike pedals every day and twice on Sunday.
I was the same with Speedplay, really liked the float at first but then the engagement felt awkward. Sort of like skating on ice till it would finally release

If it works for you, all good. They work for many people. My gripe against the SPD-SL is that the "float" isn't nearly as free as that of the SPD or Speedplay. Eventually bothers my knees.
yeah i have run the "yellow" cleats from day 1 of road riding always been OK for me. I think the blue ones and red ones ? have less float but i have never had a reason to try them

yeah i have run the "yellow" cleats from day 1 of road riding always been OK for me. I think the blue ones and red ones ? have less float but i have never had a reason to try them
Same here, yellows have enough float for me even though I'm pretty sensitive to it.

I did 1 ride over the weekend with new shoes on the MTB and I didn't have the SPD cleats lined up to give me enough float (in the proper direction). My knee is still hurting. But, my SPD-SLs have been set up the same for years now and 0 trouble.

And since I've returned to more riding, I'm realizing I've reached that age where shit hurts a lot longer now :thumbsdown:

Time on mtb and gravel bikes. Speedplay on road bike. I’m surprised how not popular time pedals are, but I LOVE them!

ATACs, or what? Time has made something like 3 different pedals (cleats) in the last decade for 2-bolt mounting.

As @Patrick , I use single-sided SPDs if I care about weight, but since I'm usually going out to explore paths that may not actually be rideable, I usually just go with XT/XTR lollipops.

The pure roady gets SPD-SL, but only if I'm not expecting to stop anywhere. I usually won't ride it unless it's an 'event'.

Back
Top Bottom