Who likes to smoke their meat?

Yeah, I’m mad I didn’t make notes last year, because it was the best I’ve ever made, and I’ve made some good ones.
Should be well within the ballpark though…

Did you braise, or straight smoke?

Dude. Corned beef is still on sale, not too late!
I cooked it a little hotter than you, like 275. But just like you, I wrapped at 160, and pulled at 195. I followed this recipe, last year it turned at awesome.

In the Adirondacks this weekend and cooked up some ribs for a hungry group. Not a big fan of the wood chip propane smoker, cause the temp is hard to keep, but everyone loved them and they came out pretty good.

(1) Rack - Honey Hog by Meat Church
(1) Rack - Hot BBQ by Killer Hogs
(1) Rack - Yellow Mustard Binder (first time) with SPG on top

IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_3544.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3560.JPG
    IMG_3560.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 3
It’s that time of year….
Smoked corned beefs

View attachment 234351

View attachment 234352

View attachment 234353

View attachment 234354

View attachment 234355

View attachment 234356

Didn’t record my notes from last year, but will this year.
Basic plan is naked smoke until 160* internal (3-4hrs at 225*)
Then into aluminum roasting pans with beef broth, covered until 210* or so (3-4hrs at 250*)
Well how did it turn out? My brother said mine was the best he's ever had.

Well how did it turn out? My brother said mine was the best he's ever had.
Came out pretty good, I do like this prep!
IMG_7819.jpeg
Could have done a bit better- that fatcap needs to be more rendered.
I think next year I’ll do just points, the flats I did were a pain and took forever.
Reubens on the menu tonight..

Last edited:
Neighbor asked me to do 3 racks of baby back ribs for her birthday which is next Friday. I have to do the bulk work Thursday and finish Friday because I need to go onto office for meeting. Any recommendations on how to break up the cooking process?

I was thinking 3-2-1 on Traeger:
  • Thursday: 3-2 (cook) and pull off/wrap
  • Friday: 1 (sauce)

Any other recommendations?

Neighbor asked me to do 3 racks of baby back ribs for her birthday which is next Friday. I have to do the bulk work Thursday and finish Friday because I need to go onto office for meeting. Any recommendations on how to break up the cooking process?

seems kinda long for baby backs, I use the 321 on spares. What time are the rib needed? I've done babies in 3-31/2 hrs

In theory, this works on paper, but I have had issues with splitting the cook on things-
Sometimes it just doesn’t work.

How about doing the whole cook on Thursday, then reheat in a moist oven for an hour on Friday?

321 is a bit too much for just baby's or memphis. They will literally crumble apart with that much cooking in the wrap and you will have a difficult time slicing without making a mess of them. But you you like your ribs cooked to where you can literally slide the bones out from the rack, 321 will do that. I use a modified version of it (4-1-1) where its 4 hours smoke (you can even reduce to 3 hours here for thinner ribs), 1 hr braise in foil, 1 unwrapped to set bark and sauce. Very nearly comes off the bone but still has some texture.

If you do cook fully the whole process the day before, then leave the rack WHOLE and rewrap and reheat to retain as much moisture as possible. Warm in oven wrapped in foil again on a very low temp to avoid drying. Should be fine like that.

321 is a bit too much for just baby's or memphis. They will literally crumble apart with that much cooking in the wrap and you will have a difficult time slicing without making a mess of them. But you you like your ribs cooked to where you can literally slide the bones out from the rack, 321 will do that. I use a modified version of it (4-1-1) where its 4 hours smoke (you can even reduce to 3 hours here for thinner ribs), 1 hr braise in foil, 1 unwrapped to set bark and sauce. Very nearly comes off the bone but still has some texture.

If you do cook fully the whole process the day before, then leave the rack WHOLE and rewrap and reheat to retain as much moisture as possible. Warm in oven wrapped in foil again on a very low temp to avoid drying. Should be fine like that.
There's a lot of debate out there on how long meat will absorb smoke. Some say only 30 mins, others 2 hours or more. From a scientific perspective once meat gets cooked, around 170F its not going to take on much more. On my smoker at 225F, it takes between 90 mins to 2 hours.

There's a lot of debate out there on how long meat will absorb smoke. Some say only 30 mins, others 2 hours or more. From a scientific perspective once meat gets cooked, around 170F its not going to take on much more. On my smoker at 225F, it takes between 90 mins to 2 hours.
That's a fair point about temps and smoke ring formation but long smoke times are about more than just that. Bark formation continues well past the 2-3 hour mark. There's also a minimum amount of time needed to not just cook, but rather render all the connective tissue into a juicy piece of meat but not to much to further dry it out again.

So not meat, but cheese. Still allowed? Did another batch of mixed types of cheeses. For some reason never did mozzarella or eggs, but tried them out this time. The mozzarella was great on the flat bread pizza with fresh basil and garlic powder. The eggs were ok, but probably really good with some deviled egg recipe.

Attachments

• 20240520_110134.jpg
    20240520_110134.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240520_110138.jpg
    20240520_110138.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240522_221450.jpg
    20240522_221450.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240606_193702.jpg
    20240606_193702.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 8

What temps are you running for the smoke session and wrap sessions? Assume pull foil off after warm to tack up sauce?

Catching up on the overnight smoke for Pops
8.4 lb flat (pre-trim)
Mustard, dry rub then salt and pepper
IMG_9063.jpeg

IMG_9062.jpeg

IMG_9067.jpeg

IMG_9069.jpeg

IMG_9076.jpeg

IMG_9079.jpeg

IMG_9093.jpeg

IMG_9094.jpeg

IMG_9099.jpeg

Did overnight slow and low at 185, wrap at 160 internal (with tallow) slowly bringing temp up to finish the cook.
Then 3 hour cooler hold.

Came out pretty good, except I may have overshot “probe tender”.
Will keep an eye on this next time.
The rest was all per plan.

Special shout out to my man @Shaggz
Aside from being my personal Costco shopper, he supplied tallow, a fantastic wine pairing and emotional support.
Thanks yo!

Catching up on the overnight smoke for Pops
8.4 lb flat (pre-trim)
Mustard, dry rub then salt and pepper
View attachment 240937

View attachment 240936

View attachment 240939

View attachment 240938

View attachment 240940

View attachment 240941

View attachment 240942

View attachment 240943

View attachment 240944

Did overnight slow and low at 185, wrap at 160 internal (with tallow) slowly bringing temp up to finish the cook.
Then 3 hour cooler hold.

Came out pretty good, except I may have overshot “probe tender”.
Will keep an eye on this next time.
The rest was all per plan.

Special shout out to my man @Shaggz
Aside from being my personal Costco shopper, he supplied tallow, a fantastic wine pairing and emotional support.
Thanks yo!

Nice! I got a 16lb full packer wet aging, I'm waiting for an 20hr block of time to turn it into a meteorite. Then I eat brisket for 1.5 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom