What have you done to your bike today?

Cool, thanks for all the insights. I went ahead with the zip tie method just to get a sense of how bad this might be and then I was going to make the decision based on that. Turns out it's a bad spoke, so off the LBS tomorrow.

So I'm very far from an expert in this area but I feel like the ts-2 or newer versions would be nice to have over the home mechanic stand for a few reasons.

More precise adjustment of the calipers. The home stand reference is more of a "bump over, overshoot, bump back" kind of thing. The vertical positioning and general mounting is held in place with a spring, so it can shift around unintentionally. Having the caliper/reference on only one side of the rim means that I flip the wheel back and forth a lot (which admittedly you might do anyway for dishing). You can get into those situations where there's a large "high" spot and it makes more sense to true out the "low" spot on the other side of the rim, if that makes sense, which would be easier to address with a reference on both sides.

These are all fairly minor and easy enough to work around but I can see why the nicer stands are worth the money if you're doing a lot of wheels or just want the nicer tool.

^^after many years of living with the TS-2 generation, don't trust the dishing. It's Accurate (with a capital 'A') only in one orientation, with one hub width. The self-centering thing never really works right unless you keep the stand obsessively clean/never over-tighten it. [incidentally: if you want to brag, look for a TS-3, or the Pedro's version of it. The self-centering mechanism actually works]. PK Lie's [think Snap-On, but extra] stand neither self-centers, nor has two indicators.

In (wheelbuilding) work, a dish-stick lives next to it, to verify the adjustment while-you-work. If you want to dunk on someone, buy EVT's dishing stick.

I won't pretend that I never use the indicator arms and say, "eh, close enough", but when people are paying...you make sure you deliver actually dished, not just "close enough"

(btw, because dishing tools double errors, a 1mm gap is what's known as "pretty damn good" for anything not for a narrow tire road bike)

So I'm very far from an expert in this area but I feel like the ts-2 or newer versions would be nice to have over the home mechanic stand for a few reasons.
I used the TS2.x for years, along with a separate dishing tool. Once I shifted to Fat bike wheels I got the TS4.2, which, as a tool-head's primary hobby, was easy to justify . I pretty much build 20" BMX and 26" Fat wheels these days and it's fantastic.

IMG_8775.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom