Post your BooBoo's

Soooo here's the scoop from my adventures in MTB riding today:

Lap 1 about 2 miles in pedal strike on a rock kicked me off the trail and into some bushes for a soft landing but the bike and something else nailed me in the shins Doesnt seem to be the pedals as I didnt have the well known Pin Shin burger marks. Left leg looked worse than it was. right leg is small cut but a small knot. After a shower it looked much better but for the rest of the race it had some good knar factor to it when everyone saw me. Thanks to our race medic Sean for checking on me each lap.

2nd lap about halfway down white i clipped an off camber log and went straight down on my left knee OTB. Bike did the scorpion thing and flopped right onto a rock on the rear der and smashed it into the spokes. broke my RoadID off my wrist (silicon band snapped) dusted myself off and while the knee hurt, it wasnt more than any other time thanks mostly to my Goretex knee pads.

Spent 10 minutes yanking and twisting the rear der and remembered I had a multitool in my pack. then I spent 5 minutes looking for my clear glasses and lucky for me one of the volunteers came by and checked on my and he stopped his bike next to a tree and the glasses were right by his foot. Somehow i was able to make it work and it shifted fine the remaining 1.5 laps even tho it looked all wonky.

Post ride down to the shop, walking, standing, sitting, food, awards all felt fine. walked to go get my car and the knee felt like it was swelling. By the time I drove home i could barely put weight on it. Figure I would shower and ice it. got dressed and realized its something more. Drove myself to urgent care (mistake) after i called to make sure they had xray. they took me in within 5 minutes except now I am in a wheelchair because I cant even walk. Xray was torture trying to position my knee on the table. 3 motrin kicked in within 30 minutes took the edge off.

Diagnosis - fractured left Patella. Radiologists notes state its "subtle.." and I can see its not smashed or all the way through. Dr. google says if no surgery needed and its minor then the recovery should be a few weeks and not 6-8 weeks if I need surgery. will be up first thing tmw to go to orthopedist hoping they can get me in. Wife had to come get me but lucky my 16 year old is about to get his license in 2 weeks so he was able to drive my car home with me in it.

So thats the end of my riding season but I am not sorry I went for it, I wanted the challenge and got a little more than I bargained for. I see its going to be an annual event so I will plan for it again, just maybe not in the rain.

View attachment 226146View attachment 226147View attachment 226148View attachment 226149View attachment 226150View attachment 226151View attachment 226152
Bummer man, but thankfully its not displaced...it should heal up fine. That sucks tho.

Knee injury updates:

TL;DR Version:
  • MRI yesterday; confirmed today with Doc no surgery needed.
  • 2 more weeks in immobilizer brace; But I am now allowed to put full weight and don't need the crutches anymore
  • not cleared for any other sports activity beyond easy bending of my knee a few times a day until I see him again Nov. 14th - which will likely be cycling anyway (indoors!) depending on healing progress.
The slightly longer summary :

I can walk around 100% pain free since probably Tuesday, and today I did some moving around the house without the brace on (sssh) and I was 100% fine. MRI shows what he suspected, the Minor fracture top of Tibia, back of Patella and impact to ligament plus there is still some fluid from swelling which he said should continue to just get absorbed and he doesn't think he needs to drain it. All the ligaments intact, meniscus etc.... nothing out of line or torn. The swelling is way down and he told me based on MRI and the minor damage he sees, he's 100% sure I would have shattered my knee way beyond just the knee cap and we would be scheduling surgery if I wasn't wearing the knee pads.

Once he explained it then the images make sense what I am looking at (the whitish parts are the fractures and where fluid is hanging out - should be dark)

So as you can imagine totally bummed out to miss my favorite time of the year riding and seeing the leaves change and getting to ride my new to me Gravel bike for the first time (details on that coming soon) now that the MTB event is over. But considering other life stuff I have going on at home with the Holidays coming and 2 weddings to attend in December, the last thing I need to is to be recovering from surgery.

See you on the road trails maybe December If the weather cooperates then.

4B858346-ADFF-4BEC-A74B-EE0B2773A61C.jpeg
95D70E75-E26B-409D-A15C-0AE75AF5047E.jpeg

Knee injury updates:

TL;DR Version:
  • 2 more weeks in immobilizer brace; But I am now allowed to put full weight and don't need the crutches anymore
  • not cleared for any other sports activity beyond easy bending of my knee a few times a day until I see him again Nov. 14th - which will likely be cycling anyway (indoors!) depending on healing progress.

I can walk around 100% pain free since probably Tuesday, and today I did some moving around the house without the brace on (sssh) and I was 100% fine. MRI shows what he suspected, the Minor fracture top of Tibia, back of Patella and impact to ligament plus there is still some fluid from swelling which he said should continue to just get absorbed and he doesn't think he needs to drain it. All the ligaments intact, meniscus etc.... nothing out of line or torn. The swelling is way down and he told me based on MRI and the minor damage he sees, he's 100% sure I would have shattered my knee way beyond just the knee cap and we would be scheduling surgery if I wasn't wearing the knee pads.

Once he explained it then the images make sense what I am looking at (the whitish parts are the fractures and where fluid is hanging out - should be dark)

So as you can imagine totally bummed out to miss my favorite time of the year riding and seeing the leaves change and getting to ride my new to me Gravel bike for the first time (details on that coming soon) now that the MTB event is over. But considering other life stuff I have going on at home with the Holidays coming and 2 weddings to attend in December, the last thing I need to is to be recovering from surgery.

View attachment 226367View attachment 226368
hope the healing goes well. riding bmx, i landed directly on my kneecap that resulted in my knee having fluid in front and behind the knee cap. made my knee look like a boob. when i would stand up for long periods, it would drain in leg and collect above the top of my sock and waking up in would be back in my knee. my mom, who is a nurse, said it would absorb. it did, 8-12 months later.

hope the healing goes well. riding bmx, i landed directly on my kneecap that resulted in my knee having fluid in front and behind the knee cap. made my knee look like a boob. when i would stand up for long periods, it would drain in leg and collect above the top of my sock and waking up in would be back in my knee. my mom, who is a nurse, said it would absorb. it did, 8-12 months later.
Hmm Knee Boob?

Is that where the term Knoob comes from ?

Sorry couldn’t resist 🤪

And luckily my knee isn’t that swollen to have excess fluid.

Knee injury updates:

TL;DR Version:

Happy to hear it's a positive prognosis!!! Heal up quickly sir!

Knee injury updates:

TL;DR Version:

That was WITH knee pads? Yikes. Speedy recovery man!

Knee injury updates:

TL;DR Version:

Ouch. Glad it wasn't more serious. I find these (unscheduled) breaks can be good motivators. Rest up and heal quickly.

No pics and not my boo boo but related.

So to round out the week from hell yesterday at 2:15 pm my wife gets a call from the HS that my 16 year old was in the nurses office because his nose collided with Someone’s forehead during gym basketball time.

Took about an hour to convince him we need to get it checked since he had tickets to go to a concert in Brooklyn and meet up with my other son who is on a tour running the lights for the performer and is only in town for one night. Plus VIP passes for backstage etc…

Got to ER at 3:30pm. Left at 5:05 pm.
Including triage X-rays and discharge it was a miracle.

Broke his nose in two places. across the bridge and across the middle. Lucky nothing out of line or needed to be set.

He stuffed some tissues in his nose took 3 Tylenol and was out the door at 5:40.

He declined any pics. Black eyes incoming.

Back
Top Bottom