2023 garden thread

SAM

Okay. Spent a lot of time cleaning up the mess from last year caused by not keeping up with it. Boxes and paths were full of weeds. Still got a lot of clean up to do but got started on plants as best I could. Had to go out early each morning to get a couple hours work done over the last few weeks. That's so it doesn't take away from riding time!

Got the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant started indoors on Mar 19.

Bought broccoli (Packman), cauliflower (Snow Crown), and Brussel sprout (Jade Cross E) plants in four pacs from a nursery and planted in garden on Apr 3.

Seeded in garden Sugar Daddy snap peas today. Also, seeded beets, carrots, radish, and spinach today.

Peppers, tomatoes, eggplant
IMG_7628.jpg

Cauliflower and broccoli
IMG_7630.jpg

Brussel sprouts
IMG_7632.jpg

Snap peas vines will grow up fence.
IMG_7633.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Pulled the figs out of their 41F hibernation room last weekend.
Last year was a crummy fig year - looks like they want to make up for it.
A ton of confused buds decided to become fruit.
More on the other trees too.

camera was totally confused about what i wanted a picture of.

IMG_4159.JPG

obviously i haven't participated in the lawn thread yet....

Cole

Okay. Spent a lot of time cleaning up the mess from last year caused by not keeping up with it. Boxes and paths were full of weeds. Still got a lot of clean up to do but got started on plants as best I could. Had to go out early each morning to get a couple hours work done over the last few weeks. That's so it doesn't take away from riding time!

Got the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant started indoors on Mar 19.

Bought broccoli (Packman), cauliflower (Snow Crown), and Brussel sprout (Jade Cross E) plants in four pacs from a nursery and planted in garden on Apr 3.

Seeded in garden Sugar Daddy snap peas today. Also, seeded beets, carrots, radish, and spinach today.

Peppers, tomatoes, eggplant
View attachment 211667

Cauliflower and broccoli
View attachment 211668

Brussel sprouts
View attachment 211669

Snap peas vines will grow up fence.
View attachment 211670
Which nursery do you use? I think you are localish to me ...

SAM

Which nursery do you use? I think you are localish to me ...
Sweet Valley Farms on Rt 202.

Nice new box, btw. I put in my boxes (cedar) in Feb 2017. There was significant rot over the last two years that I repaired as best I could. This year, some of the boxes are literally falling apart and just putting a bandage on isn't gonna work. They were treated with a oil based protectant when installed, but it seems that didn't do much. Most of the rot is on the inside from soli contact, so not a lot to do about it.

This is the beginning of 7th year for them. I was hoping they'd last at least 10 years but it's only been 6 years and I've been repairing them for the last 2 years. Way too short a life and too much work. Maybe I can make them last through next year but I started looking for alternatives to wood.

Cole

Nice new box, btw. I put in my boxes (cedar) in Feb 2017. There was significant rot over the last two years that I repaired as best I could. This year, some of the boxes are literally falling apart and just putting a bandage on isn't gonna work. They were treated with a oil based protectant when installed, but it seems that didn't do much. Most of the rot is on the inside from soli contact, so not a lot to do about it.

This is the beginning of 7th year for them. I was hoping they'd last at least 10 years but it's only been 6 years and I've been repairing them for the last 2 years. Way too short a life and too much work. Maybe I can make them last through next year but I started looking for alternatives to wood.
Yeah, I don't expect to get many years out of these in pine, but doing treated didnt seem like good idea... Did you do 2by cedar? That must have cost a fortune

Reactions: SAM

Robin

@SAM good to know about Sweet Valley Farms! I'm local to that - I usually go to the Chile place up in Kingwood but will try SVF too!

Reactions: SAM

SAM

@SAM good to know about Sweet Valley Farms! I'm local to that - I usually go to the Chile place up in Kingwood but will try SVF too!
Is that Cross Country Nurseries? I've never been but have heard about them. I need to check them out too.

When I go to Sweet Valley, I usually stop by Rutgers just on the other side of 202, in case they might have anything I want.

SAM

Yeah, I don't expect to get many years out of these in pine, but doing treated didnt seem like good idea... Did you do 2by cedar? That must have cost a fortune
Yeah, forgot to mention the expense. Cedar is supposed to last longer, but at only 6 years or so it's not worth the extra $$ IMO.

Cole

Just wondering, for late summer cooler weather plantings does every one go from seed or can you still find plants at nurseries?

qclabrat

Mine are also at end of life after ten years. Used pressure treated landscaping timber. Bought over 100 of them when it was only $3 in the off season. Can't afford to update this year so will need to just hobble along. At least I have some fresh chix poop compost this year to save money on manure.

qclabrat

Did you put weed block in the raised boxes? They seemed to help with holding in the dirt. What are the dimensions of your boxes? Did you use 2x6s?

Cole

Did you put weed block in the raised boxes? They seemed to help with holding in the dirt. What are the dimensions of your boxes? Did you use 2x6s?
Nah, I hate weed block. I just threw some old logs and crap from around my wood pile. I'll put soil over it this weekend. It will settle a lot but I'll top it back off next year.
The first box is 8x4, the new one is 10x4. I used 2x8's

qclabrat

Just wondering, for late summer cooler weather plantings does every one go from seed or can you still find plants at nurseries?
I've seen plants at places like Bartels by me. But to be honest I'm usually so wiped out from the season that in just looking to wind down. That being said. I just drop some seeds like kale and chards when the bush beans are done.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Pulled the figs out of their 41F hibernation room last weekend.
Last year was a crummy fig year - looks like they want to make up for it.
A ton of confused buds decided to become fruit.
More on the other trees too.

camera was totally confused about what i wanted a picture of.

View attachment 211680

obviously i haven't participated in the lawn thread yet....
Do you plan to put that in the ground this year? Two yrs ago we cloned several trees from M's childhood home (ask me in person sometime to tell the story of how she "acquired" them). Two of them grew to around 6' in pots last year and produced a ton of fruit. Similar sized pots to yours. We also took them out of hibernation this past weekend but I feel like the pots are going to stifle growth this year.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Do you plan to put that in the ground this year? Two yrs ago we cloned several trees from M's childhood home (ask me in person sometime to tell the story of how she "acquired" them). Two of them grew to around 6' in pots last year and produced a ton of fruit. Similar sized pots to yours. We also took them out of hibernation this past weekend but I feel like the pots are going to stifle growth this year.

Figs grow on new and 1 year old wood. We trim back at least 1/3 of the tree every year, and crossing branches. These are10 years old. Every 6-7 years, they need to be pulled from the pot and 2" of roots trimmed all the way around (sawzall works). Add some new dirt and away you go. They take a lot of water, so we use a system developed by Bill's Figs whick leaves room for a reservoir on the bottom with burlap to wick it to the soil.

We have one in the ground against the house on the south side. We wrap it in the winter and it does well. Doesnt produce as many. It is a hearty green variety.

Top Bottom