23-24 Ski and Snowboard thread

Skied again today, stayed on the sunnegga side today.... Snowed about 8in or so overnight and kept snowing most of the day... conditions were excellent. We did some laps on one of the lower lifts then took the tram up to Rothorn..... This was really cool... Just so different than anything I have skied in the US.....the runs are so long... The different ways they move you around here... For example today:
Started with elevator down to the street to catch the electric bus
Sunegga funicular... Which is more like an underground subway that FLIES up the mountain... From there a gondola, then the Rothorn tram, 3 different lifts, elevator to get you from the end of the trail back to street level... Bus, elevator, walk home. It's wild

We also got reservations and had lunch at chez Vrony... Which has to be the best food I have ever eaten on a ski hill.

This place is really quite an experience. I am here skiing with my wife and friends, so I'm not venturing off and exploring a lot of the off piste stuff.... But it's also hard to know where you can go and also get out. In the US we have ropes and gates to enter avalanche controlled areas.... Here there are generally no ropes, just poles on either side of the piste.... Sometimes I see a field of powder and there are no tracks or ropes, so I'm assuming you can't get out of wherever it goes. But not sure... It's just crazy how massive this place is. Skiing down... Oh, we're like in a neighborhood now.. Wtf? Lol

Definitely worth experiencing this

This place is really quite an experience. I am here skiing with my wife and friends, so I'm not venturing off and exploring a lot of the off piste stuff.... But it's also hard to know where you can go and also get out. In the US we have ropes and gates to enter avalanche controlled areas.... Here there are generally no ropes, just poles on either side of the piste.... Sometimes I see a field of powder and there are no tracks or ropes, so I'm assuming you can't get out of wherever it goes. But not sure... It's just crazy how massive this place is. Skiing down... Oh, we're like in a neighborhood now.. Wtf? Lol
Just like you say, it's hard to know, where you shouldn't go. I skied down one of the best runs of my life, only to realize I missed a crevasse by 10 feet, when I came up a different lift, and looked at my tracks. Stomach dropping!

Make sure to get some Rosti, if you haven't already. YUMMMMMMMY

I was in Aspen / Snowmass last week with a buddy from town (who also has a family condo at Snowmass :cool:). First day we skied Ajax which was firm but sunny and neat to see the mtn setting up for the World Cup event.

The 2nd day was one for the books. We went to Snowmass as he knows it very well and it ended up dropping 17" of new during the day. Lots of cold smoke and knee deep fluff. We ended up hiking a couple of the runs to get to some steeper areas and it was well worth it.

IMG_1461.JPEG
IMG_1462.PNG
IMG_1463.PNG
IMG_1468.JPEG

Last Wednesday was another great day. We went over to Highlands to explore for remnants of the storm. Word was Snowmass got the most at 17" and the other ares were closer to a foot.

After a couple of steeper but torn up and chunky lift served runs (but some nice sections found in the woods) we decided to do the hike up the bowl. The weather was perfect and the gate to that area had just been opened an hour before so it was a must do. But we were pretty spent from the day before. We ended up cheating a little and waited for the snowcat to bring us some of the way.

IMG_1470.JPEG

But we still had a while to hike especially with tired legs and flatlander lungs
IMG_1472.JPEG

But the top was amazing and had a ultra fun vibe with the other skiers that did the trek and there were views for days
IMG_1367.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG

We then dropped into skier's right and rode towards the trees to look for good snow. I don't have any proof but some of the turns/short shoots I rode were the most epic I've ever done.
IMG_1464.JPEG
IMG_1398.JPG
IMG_1473.jpeg

I wish we had the legs and time for another lap but we were exhausted. We took some more runs on the packed powder lift served blues, grabbed a shadowy view of our climb route and made fun of the Cloud 9 scene from the lift lol

IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1460.JPEG

Thursday and Friday we skied Snowmass but just rode groomers and enjoyed the sun.

@roc had rosti a couple of times, goddam that is good stuff!

Thursday we skied from zermatt to Cervinia and back.... I have to say that was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced on skis.

From zermatt it was the Matterhorn paradise gondola to the trocker steg, then the tram to the top of the Matterhorn paradise..... So from roughly 5000ft to 12,700..... I'm terrified of heights so being hundreds of feet up dangling from a few wires... Even Swiss ones, didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy, but the ride was smooth.. And goddam these views... In a week I never got used to it

VideoCapture_20240309-084559.jpg

From the top we skied into Italy... Which I don't know... Being from an Italian family, hearing about Italy my whole life, felt pretty cool to say that I have been... And that I skied to it. Pretty cool seeing the Matterhorn from the other side...
20240307_105441.jpg

The views in this area... Don't know how to describe it.... Makes you feel like a little fly speck... So we skied all the way down to Cervinia, which was this beautiful groomed path that snaked thru the valley....
Once we got down we got some tickets and started making our way back... The lifts on the Italian side are old and janky compared to the Swiss side.... Two gondolas up and we found a place to get some food and a cappuccino.... I have to say... Sitting in Italy, drinking cappuccino while looking at the Matterhorn... That was pretty cool

20240307_115302.jpg

Two more trams got us back to Matterhorn paradise glacier at 12,700 ft... Then we headed back to zermatt..... Made our way past the other side of the Matterhorn

20240307_132914.jpg

From the trockner steg area, Zermatt looks so far away... I said to @Norm ...it feels like skiing from the top of snowbird all the way back to salt Lake city.... Probably pretty similar in terms of mileage and elevation change
VideoCapture_20240309-091358.jpg
Down thru the riflealp and eventually back to town... So essentially 2 runs, 16,000 ft of vertical, 35 miles and we skied 930 til 430... Granted my wife has only been skiing a few years and she's not exactly Lindsey vonn yes in terms of speed... It was so crazy to be out all day on this little adventure. I was actually very proud of my wife as some of the intermediate trails here are steeper than most black diamonds on the east coast. So she did awesome...

That was just such an amazing day.... The views were truly mind blowing. I can't in any reasonable way compare this to skiing in the US, it's just such a different experience..... If you love to ski, really.. Make this happen before you die....

I was in Aspen / Snowmass last week with a buddy from town (who also has a family condo at Snowmass :cool:). First day we skied Ajax which was firm but sunny and neat to see the mtn setting up for the World Cup event.

The 2nd day was one for the books. We went to Snowmass as he knows it very well and it ended up dropping 17" of new during the day. Lots of cold smoke and knee deep fluff. We ended up hiking a couple of the runs to get to some steeper areas and it was well worth it.

View attachment 233888
View attachment 233889
View attachment 233890
View attachment 233892
Riding w a local on a powder day is a gift.

Reactions: don
@roc had rosti a couple of times, goddam that is good stuff!

Thursday we skied from zermatt to Cervinia and back.... I have to say that was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced on skis.

From zermatt it was the Matterhorn paradise gondola to the trocker steg, then the tram to the top of the Matterhorn paradise..... So from roughly 5000ft to 12,700..... I'm terrified of heights so being hundreds of feet up dangling from a few wires... Even Swiss ones, didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy, but the ride was smooth.. And goddam these views... In a week I never got used to it

View attachment 233965

From the top we skied into Italy... Which I don't know... Being from an Italian family, hearing about Italy my whole life, felt pretty cool to say that I have been... And that I skied to it. Pretty cool seeing the Matterhorn from the other side...
View attachment 233966

The views in this area... Don't know how to describe it.... Makes you feel like a little fly speck... So we skied all the way down to Cervinia, which was this beautiful groomed path that snaked thru the valley....
Once we got down we got some tickets and started making our way back... The lifts on the Italian side are old and janky compared to the Swiss side.... Two gondolas up and we found a place to get some food and a cappuccino.... I have to say... Sitting in Italy, drinking cappuccino while looking at the Matterhorn... That was pretty cool

View attachment 233967

Two more trams got us back to Matterhorn paradise glacier at 12,700 ft... Then we headed back to zermatt..... Made our way past the other side of the Matterhorn

View attachment 233968

From the trockner steg area, Zermatt looks so far away... I said to @Norm ...it feels like skiing from the top of snowbird all the way back to salt Lake city.... Probably pretty similar in terms of mileage and elevation change

Down thru the riflealp and eventually back to town... So essentially 2 runs, 16,000 ft of vertical, 35 miles and we skied 930 til 430... Granted my wife has only been skiing a few years and she's not exactly Lindsey vonn yes in terms of speed... It was so crazy to be out all day on this little adventure. I was actually very proud of my wife as some of the intermediate trails here are steeper than most black diamonds on the east coast. So she did awesome...
Looks amazing, very cool stuff. Did you need your passport to ski to Italy?

Riding w a local on a powder day is a gift.
My buddy Pete is local to me here in NJ lol - but he does have a lot of time in Snowmass and overall knows the mtn well but doesn't have my eternal search for "the goods".

We did get a little tip from a couple of local snowboarders earlier that day on the lift and followed thru with it (that's where the pics are from). Come to find out, when you talk about dirt bikes and mtn bikes the locals figure you are overall pretty rad and not just some basic tourist skier/snowboarder ;)

Was also at Killington today. A very rare huge powder day with very good visibility. Between yesterday at Sugarbush plus today here, this weekend has already been fantastic and there’s still 1 more day.

IMG_8987.jpeg

Today was real nice. I think the stuff by the South Ridge chair was the best for me. Ski season is not over yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0151.jpeg
    IMG_0151.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0150.jpeg
    IMG_0150.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 10
Anyone chasing snow this week? I think I may take friday and hit Gore or Killington now that sugarbush is 70% closed.

Reactions: roc
Anyone chasing snow this week? I think I may take friday and hit Gore or Killington now that sugarbush is 70% closed.
Look like 17" predicted for Weds/Thurs up in Ludlow. I wonder if the weekend will be more quiet or still super crowded?

Wow, what happened up there? We were there like 9 days ago and 110 of 111 trails were open.
Mt Ellen closed for season and Heavens Gate chair is being replaced, starting today. Closed a ton to build a construction safety zone.

Mt Ellen closed for season and Heavens Gate chair is being replaced, starting today. Closed a ton to build a construction safety zone.

Oh right, I did see the hoopla about that. Totally forgot.

I guess we nailed the last good weekend of the year there. I'll take it.

Look like 17" predicted for Weds/Thurs up in Ludlow. I wonder if the weekend will be more quiet or still super crowded?
Normally very quiet this time of year, but big snow forecasted this week and eclipse on Monday. Two weeks ago, local chatter and concern about gasoline shortage this weekend due to eclipse traffic. Not sure if it is hype or a real concern.

The weekend of March 22nd, Ludlow was very crowded for late march. There were no lift lines during the Saturday snowstorm, but Sunday saw longer lines on the two main chairs. I can't see crowds being greater than typical January / February weekend, but okemo's J1s are all done for the season, so they may have a staffing issue that results in lines and lodges feeling more crowded. If you haven't been to the area recently, the local Shaws still isn't open and restaurant tables are at a premium due to a several restaurants not reopening after flooding last summer.

Back
Top Bottom