Bike computer

SpartaBard

Well my 10+ year old Garmin 800 is finally dying. I am getting a low battery alert after 40 min of riding. (Fortunately I don’t ride very long these days) 😂

I am trying to decide between the Garmin 530/830 and the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt/Roam.

Deciding factors:

all my bikes have Garmin mounts already
i already use Garmin Connect… 🤣
I have a wahoo smart trainer, but I don’t actually use my computer on trainer, just Zwift

Any big differences in functionality I should be aware of?

I need someone to tell me which model to get. I am mired in over-analyzing them at this point.

Garmin fenix6 plus speed sensor and you are all set.
I've been using my Fenix 3 since my 800 got destroyed years ago. Sometimes I think about getting an 830, but I'll probably just upgrade to the Fenix 6, or whatever the next model will be, eventually. I can use it for anything (bike, run, swim, hike, basically any physical activity). I'm pretty sure it does everything an edge does. And I'm too cheap to buy another device just to get a bigger screen that's easier to look at.

Garmin fenix6 plus speed sensor and you are all set.
@SpartaBard , I smashed my Roam a few times on the trails, and I considered going the route @Robson suggested, but at the last minute I realized I could stay in the wonderful Wahoo ecosystem for half the price and just get a smaller form factor in the Bolt. Couldn't be happier.

sounds like you are invested in the garmin ecosystem (for good reason). the biggest thing for you with the 530 vs 830 is going to be the touchscreen, if you like to use the garmin for navigation and maps i would recommend the 830 as scrolling the map around is 1000x better than anything with buttons will be.

also of note i have had 0 glitches with my 1030 in over 3 years, so anyone calling garmin glitchy is probably the source of the glitches 🤣

I bought a 830 in June upgraded from my 800, so far so good, I haven't had any glitches, it finds the satellites so much faster then the 800 did and the battery life is great.

Thanks for the comments so far.

I definitely do not want the fenix, if I am doing workouts on my cx or road bike I want it mounted in front of me.

I’ve had my Garmin 510 for at least 10 years? Since brand new and my battery still can last for an 8 hour ride. I also have an 810 I got second hand as a backup a few years ago for a killer deal and it’s also the same.

I find the key thing is to dim the backlight setting and also have it turn off after 15 seconds there’s a setting for both of these. I also don’t keep the Bluetooth connected while I ride either.

The only thing with my 510 right now is I can’t load any routes from ridewithgps but I probably have only had it fail on my less than 1-2 times a year. I’m invested in the Garmin ecosystem too and heard the 830
Is very good.

Some of us ride in the woods.

GEvDymLh.jpg

Garmin 530 because my ego demands that you choose what I do, and I shall add some pithy comment that if you don't choose this, you are wrong.

XOXO
That's pretty much any discussion where someone asks an opinion. "I bought X, so therefore you should too."

@SpartaBard The glitch issues with the Garmin head units don't seem to exist on the current units. They had issues earlier with the touchscreens sucking, that seems to be resolved. And even there, if not trying to use the maps the buttons of the 530 seem more than OK. Also a lot of issues people have is with early firmwares, Garmin definitely released stuff too early.

While there may be pluses to the Wahoo head units, it is a different ecosystem. I'm all-in on Garmin so I'll pay a little premium. Plus Wahoo doesn't have watches to compete.

And I could be wrong, but I think the Wahoo mount is basically the Garmin mount, mounted 90 degrees off.

Check with your insurance company, you may get 20% off Garmin or Wahoo products.

Back
Top Bottom