Born again...or aspiring for change.

Nope - no kids when I did it. I agree on the time though, with this route sacrifices are going to be made. My rule of thumb for this was you need an opportunity you cannot find locally, not a lateral move but vertical both in money and position. Hopefully when something similar (or better) comes up without the commute you are at the front of the line.

Definitely not for everyone. But this is also why when someone says “it must be nice” I cringe.
The irony behind this is that my previous supervisor was fired after 30 years with Carter Caterpillara week after I left. Probably due in part to my exit interview. He was the major reason for leaving the job and despite having a new supervisor the other clown was still in the picture and affected my job daily. I was not mental enough to sit in a dead quiet shop doing nothing and talking to no one all day. I tried. I'd probably go back now as I liked that line of work. But, I'm browsing and will probably take on something else. I spend every minute I can with my kids. This is not really what I want to be doing but truthfully, if any recession is coming in the next year or two this is my way to prepare. I am generally a pretty honest person. I've made and lost money, big at times. I'm doing well with what I do but if healthcare gets any more insane this country is going to be in a world of hurt. I'd take Germany's healthcare system in a heartbeat over the halfassed 80/20 I was previously paying $650/month for. That's insane. With the union I pay zero for premium coverage. Having a family covered when my kid wads his mtb or dirt bike is big. I mean, you can bankrupt your household. The way people max out car payments, mortgages, ccs etc. I'm just trying my best to provide and have no debt other than my Maryland house. The wife gets a little more time to be a SAH mom and then we'll get back to building the savings. @Steve Vai , I don't want to obsess over money but if my parents pushed me more to put $25-100/wk in a fund or savings account when I was 17/18 life would be a lot different now. Sounds like your kids are at that age...

The irony behind this is that my previous supervisor was fired after 30 years with Carter Caterpillara week after I left. Probably due in part to my exit interview. He was the major reason for leaving the job and despite having a new supervisor the other clown was still in the picture and affected my job daily. I was not mental enough to sit in a dead quiet shop doing nothing and talking to no one all day. I tried. I'd probably go back now as I liked that line of work. But, I'm browsing and will probably take on something else. I spend every minute I can with my kids. This is not really what I want to be doing but truthfully, if any recession is coming in the next year or two this is my way to prepare. I am generally a pretty honest person. I've made and lost money, big at times. I'm doing well with what I do but if healthcare gets any more insane this country is going to be in a world of hurt. I'd take Germany's healthcare system in a heartbeat over the halfassed 80/20 I was previously paying $650/month for. That's insane. With the union I pay zero for premium coverage. Having a family covered when my kid wads his mtb or dirt bike is big. I mean, you can bankrupt your household. The way people max out car payments, mortgages, ccs etc. I'm just trying my best to provide and have no debt other than my Maryland house. The wife gets a little more time to be a SAH mom and then we'll get back to building the savings. @Steve Vai , I don't want to obsess over money but if my parents pushed me more to put $25-100/wk in a fund or savings account when I was 17/18 life would be a lot different now. Sounds like your kids are at that age...

My older son has been working/saving/planning for a few years now. They definately have their ducks in a row, unlike us at the same age.

Let’s update this. I’m sober for about 40 days. I am staying with my uncle in mendham now. Still enjoying the job. Life away from the family isn’t easy but making it work. I’ve been riding CR a ton as well as bedminster area road and gravel. If anyone wants to ride tuesdays or wednesdays hit me up. 908-727-3447

Back
Top Bottom