Fishing Thread

BPaze

My son has started to ask to go fishing, I wanted to know if anyone has any tips for Split Rock. Best spots and what to use?

He is only 6 so not sure how long he will be interested, but he likes to canoe and kayak so he will be entertained either way.

JerseyPete

ignore article, click through pictures

Another version of this:
Just don't try stunts in it. Save that for the Extra 300.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
My son has started to ask to go fishing, I wanted to know if anyone has any tips for Split Rock. Best spots and what to use?

He is only 6 so not sure how long he will be interested, but he likes to canoe and kayak so he will be entertained either way.

@UtahJoe -

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Another version of this:
Just don't try stunts in it. Save that for the Extra 300.
Crazy, I was just talking to a friend yesterday who is getting his pilots license and he was talking about buying some plane that has a parachute for the fuselage…. Is that like a common thing for small planes now or I wonder if he was looking at this exact aircraft?

rick81721

Lothar

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have never fished there....really the only place I ever fish is my lake, im too lazy to go anywhere else lol

Crazy, I was just talking to a friend yesterday who is getting his pilots license and he was talking about buying some plane that has a parachute for the fuselage…. Is that like a common thing for small planes now or I wonder if he was looking at this exact aircraft?
"Fairly" common, certain countries require it in light aircraft. I think all Cirrus planes come with them. I know if I was going to fly, id love to have one and hope to never need it. But most small plane crashes happen due to pilot error while close to the ground....so they are only so useful.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have never fished there....really the only place I ever fish is my lake, im too lazy to go anywhere else lol

"Fairly" common, certain countries require it in light aircraft. I think all Cirrus planes come with them. I know if I was going to fly, id love to have one and hope to never need it. But most small plane crashes happen due to pilot error while close to the ground....so they are only so useful.
Yea, I asked. It’s a Cirrus

He also said the same about crashes….they train you to recover from pretty much anything that can go wrong at altitude. Not much you can do when something goes wrong at 100’. I think the parachute feature is just to make the wife feel better lol.

Back to fishing! My local “big” lake is down for the season due to dam repairs so I won’t get to put the ski boat in this year….but I got a little Jon boat and a nice trolling motor a while back and have yet to put it in. I’ll probably still get skunked but my thinking is that with the water way down the fish have nowhere to hide lol. I think I missed crappy season but the white bass should start schooling soon, if not already. Now that I work for a school my summer is going to be pretty dead…I see a lot of fishing happening.

JerseyPete

I have friends that fly and most seem to dislike the Cirrus. I asked my one friend about Diamond aircraft and he said their safety record is better than Cirrus and a nice plane. I asked the drawback and he said he can't fit bikes in a Diamond like he can his Piper.

JerseyPete

There's also this:
And this:

Icon and Cirrus aircraft.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's also this:
And this:

I thought this was a good read.....which is what I think about trying to say an "aircraft" is safe or unsafe.....you really need to break down the individual crashes since there are alot of bad pilots (Roy Halladay, Casey Lidel, Thurmon Munson, etc) and flying is really hard

The high percentage of Cirrus accidents that are fatal appears to reflect how the airplanes are used-as all-weather, cross-country machines-by pilots not necessarily trained or experienced enough for that kind of operation. All the safety gadgets Cirrus has added, including the parachute, havent proved capable of overcoming a lack of skill or basic errors in judgment by pilots, just as with all the airplanes flown before.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
These planes have auto pilot.
As long a a thunderstorm or building doesn't get in the way, they will fly the plane while the pilot has time to think.

Fly into a cloud without a good amount of training and you'll live a minute or so hand flying.

qclabrat

There's also this:
And this:

Odd that the ESPN story called Lidel an avid pilot. His got his license in February and the accident was in October...

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Came here to chat about fishing. Realized I mistakenly entered the "Flying Thread."

uncomfortable-wtf.gif

Captain Brainstorm

Came here to chat about fishing. Realized I mistakenly entered the "Flying Thread."

uncomfortable-wtf.gif
Well, on a positive not, if they let that plane sink it will provide some good habitat and structure.

Other than that, the trout fishing has been pretty amazing up north, my last trip I hooked about 15 and landed 9 all on dry flies, all fish were big, fat, football shaped browns, and it should only get better with the upcoming evening spinner falls. The pre-spawn bass bite should be pretty good by the weekend also with this warmup. Get out and get some.

rick81721

Lothar
My brother and I did a road trip to Ft. Lauderdale (our cousin moved to Hollywood). Went out on a 4 hr private charter - our group of 4. Started slow, only some Bonito trolling. A huge mahimahi checked out our surface baits but wouldn't bite. So we switched to wreck fishing with big bait. I got my biggest fish ever - 7ft bull shark, estimated at 300 lbs. Epic battle, in the chair like Quint:

20230522_103013.jpg

After 20 minutes could barely turn the reel - had to do half cranks. Finally got him up for measuring, tagged and released. Getting a replica made (pretty pricey!):

20230522_105000.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom