Food delivery services

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Do you people regularly use any food delivery services? Is it expected to be a shitshow or did I just get unlucky? I tried to use Uber Eats last night for the 3rd time ever. The first two were at the shop for lunch and it worked.

Ordered at 6pm and it said 40 minutes or 7pm at the latest. Then 35 minutes later it started recalculating, over and over. At 7:15 the driver was first at the restaurant to pick up. He finally arrived at my house 2 miles away at 7:40 complaining that the restaurant gave him someone else's order so we got to cancel the order after an hour and forty minutes. And ate leftovers....

Not something I'll ever try again.

I use DoorDash probably 4-5 times a week. It's usually pretty fast and on time, but sometimes it's kinda slow. They also once in a while drop off the wrong order. You can just file a complaint in the app, keep the wrong food, and get a full refund. I'm personally a fan of those free meals.

I use DoorDash probably 4-5 times a week. It's usually pretty fast and on time, but sometimes it's kinda slow. They also once in a while drop off the wrong order. You can just file a complaint in the app, keep the wrong food, and get a full refund. I'm personally a fan of those free meals.
He brought us someone's order of rice. He kept it. Not quite the dinner we had ordered.

I use Doordash almost every day. Mostly because ordering food outside of Summit and having it delivered is cheaper than eating in town 🤣

They screw up probably 10% of the time and will refund immediately so it's usually not a big deal. Like JimN says, free stuff.

As someone who does UE and DD as a side gig, please make sure to tip your drivers. UE/DD only pays out $2 to the driver, so we rely heavily on the tips to make any trip worth taking.

As someone who does UE and DD as a side gig, please make sure to tip your drivers. UE/DD only pays out $2 to the driver, so we rely heavily on the tips to make any trip worth taking.
I have used door dash once because someone gave us a gift card....I was so mind blown how expensive it was (I could cook for myself for more than a week for what 1 meal of this shitty food cost) we never used it again.....I guess on top of the fact that I enjoy the experience of a restaurant and cooking my own food.....With that said, you being at the tail end of this very expensive chain...I can see why tips would be hard to come by.

my oldest son does DD and UE as his side gig too, the amount of BS that he has to deal with from the ordering to the apps not working. he spends half the time on the phone fighting for his payout on orders that get canceled or he gets removed. This does result in a lot of good food coming home for free, but ironically we never use any of these services ourselves I prefer to go direct to the place i order from to pick up.

I have used door dash once because someone gave us a gift card....I was so mind blown how expensive it was (I could cook for myself for more than a week for what 1 meal of this shitty food cost) we never used it again.....I guess on top of the fact that I enjoy the experience of a restaurant and cooking my own food.....With that said, you being at the tail end of this very expensive chain...I can see why tips would be hard to come by.
Yeah the fees are ridiculously high for customers. I spend a lot of time declining trips because I'm not traveling 10 miles for 2 dollars lol.

So this reminds me. Do the drivers see how much they were tipped before the delivery?
My my understanding is that the drivers can decide what deliveries to take (or make) based on the tip. The tips are known to drivers before the delivery occurs.

Not sure why the hell a customer (food recipient) would add a tip on before receiving their food delivery - to ensure it is reasonably on time, correct and complete.

However, I have never used one of those food delivery services, so perhaps I am uninformed.

Not sure why the hell a customer (food recipient) would add a tip on before receiving their food delivery

This also goes for counter service. It really makes no sense to tip at counters.

I rented a bike while out in Vegas last week. They asked me if I wanted to tip them. Fucking thing was $145 and they wanted a tip? FFS. Anyway, yeah I tipped them because I didn't want to die in the desert and I figured that was a good way to appease the bike gods.

So this reminds me. Do the drivers see how much they were tipped before the delivery?
It'll tell me the total for the trip, which includes expected tip. Even if there is no tip. So when I see a $2 offer, I know they didn't tip.
No tip, no trip. I have dollar/milage/time minimums that I'm willing to accept
UE and DD is convenience and that's what you're paying for. Someone else is using their gas, resources and energy to bring your food to you. If you can afford to order through UE or DD, you can afford to tip. Otherwise cook at home or get the food yourself.

It'll tell me the total for the trip, which includes expected tip. Even if there is no tip. So when I see a $2 offer, I know they didn't tip.
UE and DD is convenience and that's what you're paying for. Someone else is using their gas, resources and energy to bring your food to you. If you can afford to order through UE or DD, you can afford to tip. Otherwise cook at home or get the food yourself.
I wonder how many people just don't know this, assuming the drivers are paid hourly or something. I never used a meal service and while I know I need to tip, a % seems idiotic, yeah a flat rate tip based on distance/time/etc makes more sense to me than one based on a % of the food cost.

I'd be curious to know how much $$ I spend every year on tips that I'm pressured into at counter service places.

I have zero problem tipping. I typically over tip. But, choosing how much to tip before the service has even started is wrong. Should be a button the customer presses on delivery.

Don't people just tip cash upon delivery?

I've always given my door dash gift cards to other people who use the services. (Work gave a few out as thank yous or something stupid)

I'd be curious to know how much $$ I spend every year on tips that I'm pressured into at counter service places.

idk why you tip at counter service, i sure as hell dont (and constantly being asked is getting more than mildly annoying). I am also of the belief that tips should be for exceptional service, not the expected norm, waiters and service staff should not be dependent on tips.

idk why you tip at counter service, i sure as hell dont (and constantly being asked is getting more than mildly annoying). I am also of the belief that tips should be for exceptional service, not the expected norm, waiters and service staff should not be dependent on tips.
I live in a small town, so I awkwardly see service people everywhere, including the trails. Plus I used to be poor as shit so now that I'm less poor I don't mind my $$ going to a struggling service worker. Better that for bombs to blow people up overseas like my tax dollars I don't have a choice in.

You remind me of Mr. Pink.

Back
Top Bottom