Help Me Pick a Bike (North Jersey)

I hate the word "Downcountry" almost as much as "Acoustic Bike".

Perspective; a Ripmo doesn't even have a full 150mm of rear travel. It’s a trail bike. Also, most of the gnarlier descents in North Jersey aren't exactly what I'd call easy, go ride Wildcat on any type of bike, it will have your full attention. Last of all, going faster will also make you pay more attention on a descent.

I should be more clear on the fact that I’m trying to refrain from longer travel bikes that enable the most speed on descent because I don’t want to go down the path of favoring that type of riding.

This will never be my primary athletic endeavor. I push the limits of my speed, skill, and comfort elsewhere and don’t want to get into that type of riding here.

Maybe I should just get an XC bike.. yeah, that should fit what I’m after. With that said, what’s everyone’s favorite XC bike!?!!? 3..2..1..Go forum guys!!

All kidding aside, I have some close buddies who are great enduro/DH racers but also know what I’m after best. Some good opinions on this thread as well, thanks.

He was probably riding it more slowly than everyone else though :p
Wildcat for me is a place where you survive some of the descents, doing them quickly is icing on the cake. If I finish a ride at Wildcat in one piece, I do the happy dance.

I should be more clear on the fact that I’m trying to refrain from longer travel bikes that enable the most speed on descent because I don’t want to go down the path of favoring that type of riding.

This will never be my primary athletic endeavor. I push the limits of my speed, skill, and comfort elsewhere and don’t want to get into that type of riding here.

Maybe I should just get an XC bike.. yeah, that should fit what I’m after. With that said, what’s everyone’s favorite XC bike!?!!? 3..2..1..Go forum guys!!

All kidding aside, I have some close buddies who are great enduro/DH racers but also know what I’m after best. Some good opinions on this thread as well, thanks.
Your thinking is fundamentally flawed. I ride and track a moto (street) and got into MTB to ride on some easy trails to “get in shape”. I ride a moto because I have a need for speed. That need carries over into my skiing, riding, and driving. You will find yourself pushing the descents whether you intend to or not because that’s how you’re wired.

I still have my cannondale scalpel. Its a little under 24 lbs with a 150mm dropper, tire inserts and not so light ardent tires. Its great for going fast, especially uphill...for an XC bike, I think it downhills pretty well. I have never used anything better than a lefty on an XC bike....as in 100mm, VERY lightweight fork. Compared to my other 3 full suspension bikes....its doesnt do tech, downhills, or rollers as well....and to me, it isnt as fun to ride.....but pure speed, can't beat it.

That said, this is just the bike I own....if I was go buy a new XC bike, there are several good options out there. The mach 4 would be pretty sweet for around here, I think anyway.

dog-chasing-your-tail.gif

Did you get closer to finding a bike you're looking for? Besides the suggestion to find a local shop (which is what I finally did because I ride when I can), I found these on a few resale sites. The search and options are a good avenue for finding something that might work for you ... you can also use what's on the sites to compare to your local shop's inventory.
Seem like they're in your range. Nice price drops recently too...

Back
Top Bottom