Hitch-Bike Rack Suggestions for Toyota Highlander

roc

I need a good bike rack, it really only needs to hold 1 bike, but maybe 2 every once in a while. I have a 2024 Highlander and want to get a hitch and bike rack.

Cost is part of the equation, but i'm more interested in quality and ease of taking the rack off when not using it. I tend to leave the rack on for most of the summer, so something that can take a beating. I would also like to be able to get in the back of the car when the rack is on.

Any suggestions on hitch and rack?

Thanks!

My Kuat NV 2.0 has been very solid and is easy to use. I’ve had it for about 3 (maybe 4) years and it’s still going strong

1UP USA all the way. I've had mine for about 12 years now and is still going strong. I got the single since 90% of the time I'm only carrying 1 bike. I did get an add-on for when I need to carry another bike. When not in use it folds up and stored in my garage. I leave the rack on my car all year round. This year I plan to use it to transport 2 of my bikes to Bentonville, one of them an ebike. You really can't go wrong with it.

I have a Kuat Sherpa. If you have a modern geo bike 140+ might not work. My trek fuel ex in a M/L barely fits on mine physically and per mfg recommended wheelbase.

Also came here for a pun. "There can only be one......up...."

I put my 1UP on and take it off every ride (not leaving it on my car usually) and it’s easy peasy. Love the fact it doesn’t touch my frame etc, just the tires. Would buy again, no regrets.

1st

1up USA will check all of the boxes
1UP USA all the way. I've had mine for about 12 years now and is still going strong. I got the single since 90% of the time I'm only carrying 1 bike. I did get an add-on for when I need to carry another bike. When not in use it folds up and stored in my garage. I leave the rack on my car all year round. This year I plan to use it to transport 2 of my bikes to Bentonville, one of them an ebike. You really can't go wrong with it.
I put my 1UP on and take it off every ride (not leaving it on my car usually) and it’s easy peasy. Love the fact it doesn’t touch my frame etc, just the tires. Would buy again, no regrets.
Any reason to get a particular size? On the website, it looks like 1-1/4 or 2" . I have to get the hitch installed, just wondering if there is any benefit to either one?

2" gives you more weight capacity. It wont really matter for 1 bike, but if you start getting add-ons the 1.25 will limit you. You also won't be able to tow up to the capacity of the Highlander with the 1.25" if that's a future consideration. 2" would be my choice personally.

A lot of 1 or 2 bike capacity racks also include adapters to work with either 1.25 or 2" hitches, just another factor to consider.

2" gives you more weight capacity. It wont really matter for 1 bike, but if you start getting add-ons the 1.25 will limit you. You also won't be able to tow up to the capacity of the Highlander with the 1.25" if that's a future consideration. 2" would be my choice personally.

A lot of 1 or 2 bike capacity racks also include adapters to work with either 1.25 or 2" hitches, just another factor to consider.
Thanks, I doubt I'll ever tow anything, but it's possible there could be more than one bike on there at some point. Might as well go with the bigger size.

Your Highlander is rated for a specific hitch size, according to etrailer it needs a 2 inch hitch. Looks like the only variables are the tongue weight. The hitch itself is around $260

One thing to keep in mind if you keep it on the truck when not in use, no matter what rack you have, is whether it blocks the license plate when you have it stowed. Some here have reported getting ticketed. I’d check with @Carson or get a duplicate plate. Technically it also has to be lit, and some rack manufacturers sell a lighted license plate bracket for that purpose.

Thanks, I doubt I'll ever tow anything, but it's possible there could be more than one bike on there at some point. Might as well go with the bigger size.

Although I have a Thule T2 XT Pro2 (that’s a mouthful) that I got from someone here a few years back, I was glad it was 2” and that I got a 2” hitch for this very reason. I keep it in the garage when not in use and even tho I got it 2nd hand Thule sent me some small parts for free no questions asked that I needed.

1Up is probably better for what you need if you mostly need a single rack.

One thing to keep in mind if you keep it on the truck when not in use, no matter what rack you have, is whether it blocks the license plate when you have it stowed. Some here have reported getting ticketed. I’d check with @Carson or get a duplicate plate. Technically it also has to be lit, and some rack manufacturers sell a lighted license plate bracket for that purpose.
Agree this has been discussed quite a bit elsewhere on the forum including someone who got a ticket for obstructed plate.

Also somewhere there might be a thread about installing custom lights on a 1Up rack…. @Patrick

This is the way to go, I do the same thing thing, set up single for 90% of the tme and have a second add-on rack for when I need to carry a second bike. When the single is on the RAV4, it does not interfere with the back hatch door. As others have said the 1UP does not contact carbon frame. Ran a Thule T2 prior to this and it was much heavier and bulkier to deal with. And yes google for custom light threads for additional piece of mind.

Any reason to get a particular size? On the website, it looks like 1-1/4 or 2" . I have to get the hitch installed, just wondering if there is any benefit to either one?
The 1-1/4" will come with an adapter to 2" and limited to a total of 3 bike trays. So the single and 2 add-on trays. This is what I have. Gives me the option to use it on the Honda CRV with 1-1/4" or the truck/van with 2".

Back
Top Bottom