House Addition

And we get a town appraisal oday, found out we need to pay 1% in the change in value post reno... So thats fun.

This blows me away, gotta make sure they get their tax money for the last 6 months of the year? I don't understand how that is justified...not like anything done to your home is increasing the "burden" of your residence on the town administration.

When you fill out the permit application it asks what your project cost is. My town automatically adds that number to your assessed value upon completion of the project. So now all of my projects cost $1000.

On a positive note, it looks great!

This blows me away, gotta make sure they get their tax money for the last 6 months of the year? I don't understand how that is justified...not like anything done to your home is increasing the "burden" of your residence on the town administration.

When you fill out the permit application it asks what your project cost is. My town automatically adds that number to your assessed value upon completion of the project. So now all of my projects cost $1000.

Just paid $400 yesterday to my town for a permit for a new furnace/ac. Total BS.

Yea, have to pay this and then they up my taxes by 100%

The idea is to put down the cost of the inspectable items, not the project.

ie - a bath renno may cost $15k, but the plumbing is only $1,500 and the electrical is $1,000.

Sure, cabinets are attached to the house - but what do they need know about $300/lnft vs $800.

Price of living in Metuchen...
Wouldn't be so bad if they did any work for the money spent. Last year we did the upstairs system. When the inspector came he stood on our attic stairs and stuck his head up looked over at the new unit 15 feet away and said "looks good." That was $400 too. He couldn't even be bothered to walk across the attic.

Wouldn't be so bad if they did any work for the money spent. Last year we did the upstairs system. When the inspector came he stood on our attic stairs and stuck his head up looked over at the new unit 15 feet away and said "looks good." That was $400 too. He couldn't even be bothered to walk across the attic.

Just had the inspection for the new unit. 3 minutes from ringing the doorbell to getting in his car to drive away. $400 more for Metuchen. And I just had a customer questioning a $25 labor fee. I'm obviously in the wrong business.

Just had the inspection for the new unit. 3 minutes from ringing the doorbell to getting in his car to drive away. $400 more for Metuchen. And I just had a customer questioning a $25 labor fee. I'm obviously in the wrong business.
Sounds like you didn't splurge for the "I want the inspector to do his job" fee

Back
Top Bottom