How the hell are we supposed to retire?

Looks like VFIAX (sp500) did better over the last 10,
VTSAX (total stock market US) did better over the last 20.
Damn close.

VWEAX is a bond fund investing in corporate paper. A similar fund would be MHCAX
These yield 4% or better - and pay monthly. Think "income"

comparison tools are available - which help create a picture of performance.
I happen to use vanguard, alternately finance.yahoo.com works too.

While VTSAX may not outperform VFIAX, I like it as it provides more diversity.

I found it good to have both. I switched from VFIAX to VTSAX and last year it was convenient to do some tax advantaged sales from the dormant VFIAX fund at the end of the year and put the cash in VTSAX where I can't sell due to wash rules and weekly investments.

@Bike N Gear when I used to rebalance I just used a spreadsheet of what my ideal allocation was and how off it was and then just rearrange accordingly. I was doing simple 3 Fund so it was easy.

While VTSAX may not outperform VFIAX, I like it as it provides more diversity.

agree - there is the tax and the behavior issues with sp500

stocks moving out of the market are at zero - stocks moving out of the sp500 are not.
Stocks moving into the sp500 get boosted -

@Rogers - i've found that the amount of money that needs to be risked to make money with options is never worth it.
If i had a huge position in an individual stock, i'd def hedge tho. ie, say i worked for a start-up that went public and i had a hold period.

@Rogers - i've found that the amount of money that needs to be risked to make money with options is never worth it.
If i had a huge position in an individual stock, i'd def hedge tho. ie, say i worked for a start-up that went public and i had a hold period.
I would say that options are actually less risky in terms of both monetary and directional risk than just being long stocks. It's all about managing the Greeks...delta, vega, theta and gamma. The key is to never buy options...except for maybe when volatility is really low and you want to take a long or short position with limited risk.

Warren Buffett once said, "If you don't find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die."

was in my feed today.

Interest, dividends, business royalties, appreciation of investments, etc.......
also - is Warren still working? or is he enjoying what he loves to do?
and is really good at doing.

Warren Buffett once said, "If you don't find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die."

was in my feed today.

Interest, dividends, business royalties, appreciation of investments, etc.......
also - is Warren still working? or is he enjoying what he loves to do?
and is really good at doing.
This why I own BRK/B

I would say that options are actually less risky in terms of both monetary and directional risk than just being long stocks. It's all about managing the Greeks...delta, vega, theta and gamma. The key is to never buy options...except for maybe when volatility is really low and you want to take a long or short position with limited risk.
Yea but all options hero or zero.

This why I own BRK/B

I got into .b when it debuted. Sold it and got into tsla on the way up. Sold that and got into sp500. Think I could have done just as well in .b

I sleep well with sp500. .b is one obit away from a crash.

I got into .b when it debuted. Sold it and got into tsla on the way up. Sold that and got into sp500. Think I could have done just as well in .b

I sleep well with sp500. .b is one obit away from a crash.
I'm hoping it's priced in. I mean everyone knows it's coming eventually. The underlying stocks will be the same. I hope.

2024 w_b update: still workin' like a dog. Chained to my desk most days. Sometimes it used to slow down a bit, but not last 18months or so. I'm very blessed.

Mostly everything equities I have, except HSY and O, is at or near all time highs. Not many bargains out there right now.
Morningstar says BUY, Merrill says HOLD on a lot of the same issues. They don't know either.

If you wanna invest in real estate without getting no heat calls from tenants at 3AM, go for O for commercial or INVH for residential; or DYODD. They help me sleep well at night while returning 90% of their profits back to me as dividends. And they make a lot of profits, and they go out and fix the heat for me.

Right now, extra cash is going into 6 and 9 month CDs at 5.3%. Reevaluating the situation as the ladder rungs mature.

Conventional logic says I should be increasing allocation of bonds compared to stox as I near that magic TTJASI date, but I took a bath on my meager amount of bonds the past few years. Still 98% equities for me. No need for options if you see the value of buy low and hold while reinvesting dividends.

cheatsheet for those of you with no Google-fu:
HSY- Hershey
O- Realty Income
INVH- Invitation Homes
DYODD- do your own due diligence
TTJASI- take this job and shove it

2024 w_b update: still workin' like a dog. Chained to my desk most days. Sometimes it used to slow down a bit, but not last 18months or so. I'm very blessed.

Mostly everything equities I have, except HSY and O, is at or near all time highs. Not many bargains out there right now.
Morningstar says BUY, Merrill says HOLD on a lot of the same issues. They don't know either.

If you wanna invest in real estate without getting no heat calls from tenants at 3AM, go for O for commercial or INVH for residential; or DYODD. They help me sleep well at night while returning 90% of their profits back to me as dividends. And they make a lot of profits, and they go out and fix the heat for me.

Right now, extra cash is going into 6 and 9 month CDs at 5.3%. Reevaluating the situation as the ladder rungs mature.

Conventional logic says I should be increasing allocation of bonds compared to stox as I near that magic TTJASI date, but I took a bath on my meager amount of bonds the past few years. Still 98% equities for me. No need for options if you see the value of buy low and hold while reinvesting dividends.

cheatsheet for those of you with no Google-fu:
HSY- Hershey
O- Realty Income
INVH- Invitation Homes
DYODD- do your own due diligence
TTJASI- take this job and shove it

You have at least one more down/up cycle before drawing money....let it ride.

I'll be getting out of tax free munis next year.

Reactions: w_b
Probably the best bang for your buck right now is to double up and invest in Ridge supply, right @Dave Taylor ?

We have gone thru this before. If you buy them for no other purpose than taking a shot in the dark with limited risk, sure it's hero or zero. Like I have said before don't buy options, sell them.
Have a foot in that put!

Back
Top Bottom