Jshort’s bike thread

Anyone that listens to geek warning will have heard about this.

But this site apparently somehow calculates the $ which your chain lube will cost you.

Per this site, if you use dumonde tech and ride your MTB in the woods, in the wet... you are screwed.
Total cost of over $8,000 to ride 10000 miles. WTF?

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 4.37.00 PM.png

Last edited:
Ai training plans??? 🤔 Sorta joking, but also I feel like this is something GPT could be taught. Given the amount of historical training data you (presumably) still have access to, I'm sure something can be scripted.

Wouldn't know the first thing about where to begin.

Weird-Science-4.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone that listens to geek warning will have heard about this.

But this site apparently somehow calculates the $ which your chain lube will cost you.

Per this site, if you use dumonde tech and ride your MTB in the woods, in the wet... you are screwed.
Total cost of over $8,000 ago to ride 10000 miles. WTF?

View attachment 228341

Is this real? I haven’t used a full bottle of yellow Dumonde so far this year across all of my bikes. Will maybe get me a couple months into next year 😂

Is this real? I haven’t used a full bottle of yellow Dumonde so far this year across all of my bikes. Will maybe get me a couple months into next year 😂
I don’t know. It may be big wax trying to get everyone to dump their oil lube.

19 chains in 10k miles seems suspect to me. As does 9 cassettes. Unless the highline stuff wears that much faster....

19 chains in 10k miles seems suspect to me. As does 9 cassettes. Unless the highline stuff wears that much faster....
The high end chains are supposed to last much longer than the low tier ones. It’s pretty well documented. I don’t think I’ve seen wear tests on cassettes though.

I’ve considered Trainerroad again. Apparently Ii’m not the only one who didn’t adapt to the work loads, so they added a “Masters” plan option which makes it 2 days of intensity instead of 3. It ’s appealing and may be what I need. But I’m kind of pissed about trusting their plan last year and having it not work out.

Were you on the sweet spot or the polarized plan?

I enjoyed the accountability of having a coach, especially when he was an asshole and called me names @Norm
The accountability was huge for me too. But after years of following a plan and training consistently, the accountability is still there but it’s not from having a coach, it’s more to myself. Not to sound cheesy.

I just need some structure to stay on top of my fitness.

Off season is in full effect. I’ve been sick all week with a little cold. It’s not bad but it’s been enough to keep me off the bike or fear just making it worse. I can probably use a week with no pedaling anyway. It’s always good to take some time off and make sure that fire is still burning. Here I am 4 days since my last pedal and I’m kind of jonesing to ride. Even to just get on the trainer. That probably makes me sound odd, but I am what I am. Safe to say the fire is still burning.
While I’ve been riding for fun the last 4 months, I still have that racer mentality and think of years in seasons. I’ve been thinking about last season and the upcoming season and what goals I want to create.
Last season was a total bust. Probably the worst race season I’ve had in a long long time. And ironically enough, I think It was the year where I was most complaint to my training plans, including sleep and nutrition. I really felt like I nailed all 3 consistently. So it makes me wonder if the poor race performances were due to me being tired and flat.
I used Trainerroad mid volume and did the Plan Builder with Nationals as the A race. I was not at my best and that’s the whole point of a training plan with an A race, isn’t it? To be at your best when that A race comes along.
Now that it’s time to start thinking about next season, I’m trying to pick a plan or tool to use to train with. I’d like to just hire a coach that’ll look at my files and data, be able to prescribe workouts that keep it fun. One thing I miss when I had a coach was seeing a day on the calendar and it was to find a 30 minute trail loop and do a sweet spot effort for 90-100 minutes. That’s way better than the monotony of intervals. The problem is I can’t stomach paying $200 a month for a reputable coach.

I’ve considered Trainerroad again. Apparently Ii’m not the only one who didn’t adapt to the work loads, so they added a “Masters” plan option which makes it 2 days of intensity instead of 3. It ’s appealing and may be what I need. But I’m kind of pissed about trusting their plan last year and having it not work out. There are a few more apps like Wahoo’s System thing. I don’t know much about that nor anyone who has used it for an extended period of time. There’s the new Fascat app which is interesting, it takes your sleep data (if you wear a wearable device) and takes your recovery into consideration. The app does not seem too fine tuned yet though, so I’m leaning towards not renewing when the free trial is up.
Another option is buying a training peaks training plan from @Pearl 's buddy Dylan Johnson. He has a bunch to pick from for Base, build, and speciality phases. That’s appealing because it would be a new way for me to train and let me pick how I want to do the workouts.

I’m leaning towards just doing it myself. I can take what I’ve learned the last few years of interval training, and just make my own plan. I’ve looked at and followed enough plans to be able to put one together myself. It’s an unfamiliar feeling because I’ve always followed someone else’s plan. But maybe being uncomfortable would be a good thing though.
Just curious: what about last season was a total bust? Was failure based on training numbers, how you felt or where you placed in races. Rest and mental burn out can also be tricky to comprehend on your own.

The high end chains are supposed to last much longer than the low tier ones. It’s pretty well documented. I don’t think I’ve seen wear tests on cassettes though.

thats what i thought too, and i get over 1k miles out of an x01 chain soooo 19 chains in 10k seems impossible, thats 500 miles per chain

Just curious: what about last season was a total bust? Was failure based on training numbers, how you felt or where you placed in races

I’m basing that on my race results. I never felt “good” on race day. I had good days training and my power numbers were where they’ve usually been but on race days I was always flat.

I think there was too much intensity in my training early on.

I’ll need to make some adjustments this upcoming year.

I loathed that plan. Drove me into the damn ground. Seeing good progress on the polarized so far.
I liked it because I was able to do the work and hit the numbers each workout. I saw progression and I thought I was getting stronger. I like training in the sweet spot zone.

I don’t put much into “what my FTP is”, other than it’s the number which all intervals are based off of. Who TF knows what my “REAL” FTP is. I’d love to see someone actually give a 100% effort for an hour. Watch someone go for the hour record and how wrecked they are afterwards. Anyway, I digress….

So when I was able to consistently raise my FTP and still complete intervals with the higher FTP, I considered that progress and assumed I was getting faster. The results just didn’t happen.

Back
Top Bottom