Jshort’s bike thread

i would definitely NOT be mounting my expensive phone on the handlebars, but you do you. the garmin is an expensive enough device to be mounting out there, and mine sits on the stem cap.

I’m not worried about the phone at all. This is just for navigating.

I was just trying to get some acceptance before I actually ride in public with a phone mounted on my bars. :)

You have to admit, it’s very convenient to have it there. Phone menus are sooo much better than a Garmin menu.

I should also add following structured workouts. That’s actually pretty good on a Garmin, but I’m sure a phone is better.

I’m not worried about the phone at all. This is just for navigating.

I was just trying to get some acceptance before I actually ride in public with a phone mounted on my bars. :)

You have to admit, it’s very convenient to have it there. Phone menus are sooo much better than a Garmin menu.
Phone in pocket with hotspot enabled. Old phone on handlebars using that WiFi

Better for navigation, no worries when broken in a crash.

Considering the Karoo bike computer screens and how good Garmin watch screens have gotten I would expect them to up their game on the bike front.

Phone in pocket with hotspot enabled. Old phone on handlebars using that WiFi
Did I mention I’m not worried about the phone. At all. All iPhones.

IMG_0191.jpeg

Garmin on stem looks way less ‘out of place’ but I can’t deny the functionality is way better. Regardless, I’ve alway had a hate hate relationship with the aesthetics of anything mounted on the stem (or worse back when you only had the bar mount options). Out front or bust.

Garmin on stem looks way less ‘out of place’ but I can’t deny the functionality is way better. Regardless, I’ve alway had a hate hate relationship with the aesthetics of anything mounted on the stem (or worse back when you only had the bar mount options). Out front or bust.
Road, out front is the only way. Not for mtb though, it looks silly without the road hoods to minimize it. The steam mount looks
Dumb too on mtb with the short stems. I just do on the bars with a 130…

Road, out front is the only way. Not for mtb though, it looks silly without the road hoods to minimize it. The steam mount looks
Dumb too on mtb with the short stems. I just do on the bars with a 130…

I agree... I was referring to the first set of pics... on the MTB it looks ok...

Christ, how can anyone be worried about where a bike computer goes while dressed in a kit with shoes with road cleats?

I did end up hiring a coach. I wont go into who or what company they are with but I am signed up. The first workout on the calendar was an FTP test. A good old school 20 minute FTP test. I’ve been doing ramp tests or letting trainer road detect my FTP for so long that I can’t remember when the last time was that I did a real 20 minute test.
I did the 20 minute test in Zwift. I also logged the workout on my power meter pedals just because I wanted to see if there was much difference between the two (My Kickr and my Assiomia pedals).
The test went ok I think. It being the first time doing a test on Zwift, I wasn’t sure what to expect. It seemed like it was in ERG mode for the test openers, and then when there 20 minute portion came up, it went to slope or resistance mode.
I made the mistake of going out too hard, dying a little, and then holding on the for the rest of the test. Zwift shows you the average watts of the test as you re doing it, so if I would have just tried to hold x watts the whole time and then turn it up a little halfway and then more again at the last 5 minutes, I think I would have been able toe to do a little better. But it’s done and I don’t plan on doing I another one for a while.
Ironically my ftp ended up being almost exactly what I thought it was and what I had it set to. I did hit a high in Hear Rate - 189! I haven’t hit that in quite a while…. I may have forgotten how to dig this deep.

As for the comparing between power meters pedals and trainer, they were surprisingly close. Close enough that I can do workouts on either one and not worry about the watts/zones being off:

Zwift - Trainer
long ass file name - Pedals

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 9.49.38 AM.png

Last edited:
What do you think of the 20 minute test vs the TrainerRoad ramp test?

The ramp test does seem to have the benefit of exactly what you had had during your 20 minute test, removing the variable of how hard to push.

I'm not completely sold on the ramp test however, it does seem like maybe each ramp should be longer, or at least maybe lengthen as you get up to the higher powers #s closer to expected FTP.

Back
Top Bottom