Just a normie riding walmart bikes..

cyclops

Finally checking in! I got my last bike when I was in in high school and now got another only after 20+ years. Had a lot of fun riding around and spent more time tinkering the bike, learning about the tuning and all. Guess I am more of a tinkerer, I enjoy researching, reading and tweak around than the actual rides. It was similar even when I was a lot into RC, spent more time tinkering rather than flying/bashing around. I registered here last fall but now that I have been to atleast some basic trail riding, I thought I qualify for an intro.

I have a fairly busy work day and taking care of kids also takes up most of my weekends. As the title says, I am just a normie on a tight budget so cant splurge on amazing bikes like most of you here. I live in a small apartment, so I dont have any of storage space.

Last fall I got a Decathlon ST100 and was really impressed with the build quality. Had a great time tinkering it to suit my preferences and just riding around the neighborhood and greenways, really love that bike. That's when I registered here and learnt so many things, hoping one day I will make it to some trails.
ST100.jpg

After being here for a while, I started itching to get a better bike, a bigger one to carry my heavy frame :) I started looking for options and recently found this Schwinn Taff Comp for a bargain. Now I know most of you here will frown on walmart bikes, but it works for my budget and my size.
Taff.jpg

After getting this bike I finally thought of getting on some basic trails and I headed to Rutgers Ecological Preserve which is pretty close to me. And man it was such an amazing experience, such a rush.. I went there every day over the 4th of July weekend! Now I have started researching on how I can upgrade this bike, lets see what my budget permits. So far I have only got raceface chester clone pedals which are amazing. Next I am looking forward to get a dropper post, lets see when I am able to get it.

Sorry for a longish post, I really appreciate you all sharing your experiences here and looking forward to catch with some of you!

Last edited:
Welcome back to riding / tinkering! I like to ride more than tinker, but tinker I must to keep riding.
Nice that you/re enjoying the trails, you might really enjoy some local group rides to learn some other parks.
Welcome back again. :thumbsup:

Awesome post, welcome back to riding! If you like to tinker you've definitely found the right hobby. Working on bikes is almost as much fun as riding them.

The wolftick youtube site has great reviews of "budget" components.
Tires and a dropper post make a big difference.
Rockbros stuff is pretty good.
Also get knee pads (and helmet if you don't have one).

Welcome. I think the bike will be great. My first bike was a Schwinn and I loved it. I need to get back to the Rutgers Ecological Preserve. Was only there once before I got my mtb.

Thanks everyone for your wishes and encouragement! And no, I am not a bot :) Here is the photo from Rutgers Ecological preserve today!

I think I will continue going here till I master all the trails here, which I doubt will happen anytime soon. Maybe I will have to upgrade the fork and some on my bike to achieve it?

PXL_20230702_161028638.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome back to riding / tinkering! I like to ride more than tinker, but tinker I must to keep riding.
Nice that you/re enjoying the trails, you might really enjoy some local group rides to learn some other parks.
Welcome back again. :thumbsup:
Thanks. I hope to get better and then explore more parks.
Awesome post, welcome back to riding! If you like to tinker you've definitely found the right hobby. Working on bikes is almost as much fun as riding them.
Thanks. Yes, I never thought that bikes can have so many things to tune as well. When I was a kid, all I did was fill up the air and go.
Welcome to the board...enjoy riding whatever bike you got!!! Thats the most important part!
Thanks. Thats what I thought too, I will start with what I have.
The wolftick youtube site has great reviews of "budget" components.
Tires and a dropper post make a big difference.
Rockbros stuff is pretty good.
Yes, they are pretty good. I also watched this guy and he did a lot of budget upgrades to this same bike -

Also get knee pads (and helmet if you don't have one).
Thanks, I got a helmet. Maybe knee pads is next.
Welcome. I think the bike will be great. My first bike was a Schwinn and I loved it. I need to get back to the Rutgers Ecological Preserve. Was only there once before I got my mtb.
Thanks I am liking it too, but then I have not ridden any of the high end bikes yet. Its an amazing trail, maybe too simple for you exports, but its pretty good for me. And I noticed that it dries off very fast even after the rains. The school does a good job of maintaining the trail as well.
Welcome!
Getting it done on your terms. 👍

Wait until you find six mile run!
Thanks! Yes, I have heard so much about Six Mile Run on this forum, I hope to be there someday.
Is this a bot? Why do I feel like this is AI generated advertising?

If you are real, don’t upgrade anything. Save your money and buy a higher end used bike over the winter or next year. Ride that Schwinn until the wheels fall off.
Well my kids call me DadGPT. Not sure if that makes me a bot. Thanks, but I do plan to make some basic upgrades to this bike. Not planning to get a high end bike anytime soon.
welcome aboard..... I always say ride it like you stole it..... Having fun is the main thing.
Allaire has some nice trails and I can give you a good tour.
Thanks, Yes I am having a lot of fun, its a great feeling being by yourself on the trails. I am such a newbie, maybe I will come there once I get little better.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Started off with a Schwinn AL Comp (still have it, and ride it). Like several people mentioned. Save your money and get something better. Some really nice used bikes up for grabs here, and on the NJ Bikes For Sale page on FB. You'll also see some used bikes pop up on the YDKSAMTB FB page as well. I went the used route and picked up a 2020 Polygon Siskiu D6 at a really good price, and made it to suit me. I ride at Allaire. BTW lose the kick stand.

I’m in Piscataway as well not far from the Preserve. Where you at?
I'm near Edison train station. Do you ride there anytime?
Welcome aboard! Started off with a Schwinn AL Comp (still have it, and ride it). Like several people mentioned. Save your money and get something better. Some really nice used bikes up for grabs here, and on the NJ Bikes For Sale page on FB. You'll also see some used bikes pop up on the YDKSAMTB FB page as well. I went the used route and picked up a 2020 Polygon Siskiu D6 at a really good price, and made it to suit me. I ride at Allaire. BTW lose the kick stand.
Thanks. Nice, AL comp is pretty similar to mine. One day I hope to get a better bike, need to build my skills till then. I don't know man, the kick stand comes in handy as I live in an apartment and it keep the bike standing in the balcony.:)

I went to the same trail today and had a duh moment. My bike had a lot of chain slap and and I just ignored it thinking that's what you get for getting a cheep bike. When taking a break I realized that the clutch on derailleur was off, I switch it on, chain slap reduced a lot and shifting was much smoother. I might've turned it off by mistake when loading my bike.

Good on you, and as others have said- run what ya brung.
Enjoy it- that’s all that matters.

As others have suggested, you can hold off on upgrades and put that cash towards your next whip.
However, if you do want to upgrade, get parts that you can port over to the next whip (and keep the old parts so you can put them back on when you get the next one)

Good on you, and as others have said- run what ya brung.
Enjoy it- that’s all that matters.

As others have suggested, you can hold off on upgrades and put that cash towards your next whip.
However, if you do want to upgrade, get parts that you can port over to the next whip (and keep the old parts so you can put them back on when you get the next one)
Thanks. Yes, I am having a good time, getting this kind of rush after a long time. This hobby is also getting me good exercise, hope to shed some pounds.

Well, even though I am no expert, I am already itching to make some upgrade this bike, maybe a better fork, shorter stem and handlebars which I can carry over. But since I am tight on budget, let me know if you all have some parts taken from your older bikes to donate. :D

I have received a threat from my wife to get rid of the decathalon if I want to keep this schwinn. I really love that decathalon, the build quality is so much better than the schwinn, I really wish that I could keep it for riding around the neighborhood. If I was not so heavy (220+), I could've probably used it on the trail as well. But unfortunately I got no space, so it will have to go..

Last edited:
Thanks. Nice, AL comp is pretty similar to mine. One day I hope to get a better bike, need to build my skills till then. I don't know man, the kick stand comes in handy as I live in an apartment and it keep the bike standing in the balcony.:)
A decent bike stand can be had for <$100. If you want something that can serve multiple purposes that saves on space, and you can work on some of your riding skills the Tilt Industries - Bike Balance Trainer | Bicycle Repair Stand/Balance Trainer Combo might be something you would consider investing in. In all seriousness lose the kick stand. Eventually it is going to work loose then drop at the worst possible moment or get hung up on something, and you'll lose control. Plus you'll be like us cool kids.. :)

A decent bike stand can be had for <$100. If you want something that can serve multiple purposes that saves on space, and you can work on some of your riding skills the Tilt Industries - Bike Balance Trainer | Bicycle Repair Stand/Balance Trainer Combo might be something you would consider investing in. In all seriousness lose the kick stand. Eventually it is going to work loose then drop at the worst possible moment or get hung up on something, and you'll lose control. Plus you'll be like us cool kids.. :)
Okay boss, I will get rid of the kick stand just join the cool kids!

Yesterday evening I took out my decathlon for a cleanup and ride on the street. Got reminded again that the build quality on that is so much better than the schwinn. The V brakes on the decathlon are so much better than the disks on schwinn, its unbelivable. I always thought that disks will be much better than the v brakes. However I really love the overall size of the schwinn with 29" wheels, it works better for my oversized body. :)

I will sadly have to put the decathlon for sale though I hate to list anything on FB, too many low-ballers. You know what, I will just list it here, hoping someone can trade it for a nicer fork?

Last edited:
The mechanical disc brakes on the Schwinn suck (the only Schwinn thing left on the AL Comp is the frame). I ditched those and got a set of Shimano MT201's (same model on my Polygon).

Back
Top Bottom