Long Island: Setauket (Laurel Ridge) or Edgewood Oak Brush Preserve?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Heading to LI to visit a friend today. Bringing the bike to ride afterwards. Have done most trails on the Island before but not these two. Laurel Ridge looks to be the longer/climbier one so I’m leaning towards that. But Edgewood is more convenient drive-wise. Any opinions on either one?

Both are super fun but East Setauket would be my pick 100% of the time. Also a ton of really fun stuff in Shoreham but a local guide would really help there.

Both are super fun but East Setauket would be my pick 100% of the time. Also a ton of really fun stuff in Shoreham but a local guide would really help there.
Thanks. Gave East Setauket a go. WAs definitely a lot of fun, but the super twisty sections on the west loop didn’t have the flow of Glacier Ridge, Manorville or Rocky Point. Very short steep uphills followed by wicked fast downhills only to hump up the next short steep and back down again. Sounds like a dream on paper but was tough to get a groove. I realize CLIMB had to make the most of what they had (as with any open space in LI) but I enjoyed the east side better.

Next time you're on LI, give Hempstead Harbor Woods a try if you haven't yet. Very different than the rest of LI. Not much mileage but boulders! I'm in Montauk for vacation this week and riding Hither Hills tomorrow. Lots of good trails on LI but the terrain does get a bit monotonous.

Thanks. Gave East Setauket a go. WAs definitely a lot of fun, but the super twisty sections on the west loop didn’t have the flow of Glacier Ridge, Manorville or Rocky Point. Very short steep uphills followed by wicked fast downhills only to hump up the next short steep and back down again. Sounds like a dream on paper but was tough to get a groove. I realize CLIMB had to make the most of what they had (as with any open space in LI) but I enjoyed the east side better.
Agreed, the west side was a later addition when the trails were officially adopted, as I understand it anyway. Enjoy Hither Hills, I love that place!
Next time you're on LI, give Hempstead Harbor Woods a try if you haven't yet. Very different than the rest of LI. Not much mileage but boulders! I'm in Montauk for vacation this week and riding Hither Hills tomorrow. Lots of good trails on LI but the terrain does get a bit monotonous.
HHW is on my list but our family is out east and I find myself punting to ride closer places like Manorville or Shoreham, the latter of which is one of my fav spots out there.

Agreed, the west side was a later addition when the trails were officially adopted, as I understand it anyway. Enjoy Hither Hills, I love that place!

HHW is on my list but our family is out east and I find myself punting to ride closer places like Manorville or Shoreham, the latter of which is one of my fav spots out there.
Haven't tried Shoreham yet but did Eastport/Manorville double header recently which was nice. My FIL is in Hampton Bays so it's easy from there. Cathedral Pines and Rocky Point are the OG nice out east spots though haven't ridden them in a long time. Meadowlark is another short but good one to check out. Hither was great and I love it there. You really feel like you're all alone.

Attachments

• 20230828_110700.jpg
    20230828_110700.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 55
Haven't tried Shoreham yet but did Eastport/Manorville double header recently which was nice. My FIL is in Hampton Bays so it's easy from there. Cathedral Pines and Rocky Point are the OG nice out east spots though haven't ridden them in a long time. Meadowlark is another short but good one to check out. Hither was great and I love it there. You really feel like you're all alone.
If you like manorville you should check out Glacier Ridge if you haven’t already. Great flow and pretty extensive.

Back
Top Bottom