Nassau Trail conditions

Sorta shocked to here that esp. after all the rain. More rain today later too.
That sign was up before all the rain, I posted something on 4/25...not sure why its up.

That sign was up before all the rain, I posted something on 4/25...not sure why its up.
I was surprised too. I figured it would be softer and I might just be stuck doing laps of some of the rockier stuff on the original side by the upper Nassau road lot, but conditions were really quite nice.

As for that closure, according to what was said in last weeks council meeting (I live in HB) it's due to a deed restriction on the property that stipulates at least a portion of that property is only available for "Passive Recreation" that does NOT allow bike trails of any sort. I don't know exactly how much of that property is impacted as it wasn't mentioned. Hopefully not much.

I was surprised too. I figured it would be softer and I might just be stuck doing laps of some of the rockier stuff on the original side by the upper Nassau road lot, but conditions were really quite nice.

As for that closure, according to what was said in last weeks council meeting (I live in HB) it's due to a deed restriction on the property that stipulates at least a portion of that property is only available for "Passive Recreation" that does NOT allow bike trails of any sort. I don't know exactly how much of that property is impacted as it wasn't mentioned. Hopefully not much.

Not good about the sign then...its not like this is a new trail system. Hopefully its nothing major. Fingers crossed.
I did find this in the meeting notes:

Ordinance 2023-020: Road Improvements – Nassau Road - public hearing date of May 11, 2023.
That would be nice for anyone on nassau road :D

all i found was this on meeting notes for new business:

Resolution - 160 - 2023 Management Plan - Nassau and Springside Trails

Last edited:
Not good about the sign then...its not like this is a new trail system. Hopefully its nothing major. Fingers crossed.
I did find this in the meeting notes:

Ordinance 2023-020: Road Improvements – Nassau Road - public hearing date of May 11, 2023.
That would be nice for anyone on nassau road :D

all i found was this on meeting notes for new business:

Resolution - 160 - 2023 Management Plan - Nassau and Springside Trails
28:55 in the vid…if the link below works, but its not much more detail than what I mentioned.

HB Meeting

I just took a lunchtime spin. Despite all the rain we had this past weekend, what I rode (trails on both sides) was all in good shape with no soft spots. I didnt ride flatlands or the foran trail which tend to stay wet a bit, but I bet they would have been ok also.

Fair amount of small trees or branches the size of small trees down. Cleaned up the offensive ones.

One bummer though is this:

View attachment 212837
Its the main trail heading up to springside from nassau rd. Can access Springside via Foran or the field on Nassau instead.
That's odd. I usually start at Foran and make my way over to Nassau. Thanks for the trail report!!!!

Wait, more rain today? Anyone know how much? I was over in Brunswick and it flirted with raining, but it passed.

That’s a bummer about trails on Springside being shut down. I wonder which ones it will be. Hopefully not too much.

That’s a bummer about trails on Springside being shut down. I wonder which ones it will be. Hopefully not too much.
How is passive use not biking vs hiking?

"That brings us to the second part of this: what are the EPA’s definitions for active and passive use?
The EPA defines passive recreational use as:
Passive recreation refers to recreational activities that do not require prepared facilities like sports fields or pavilions. Passive recreational activities place minimal stress on a site’s resources; as a result, they can provide ecosystem service benefits and are highly compatible with natural resource protection.
They then include activities that would qualify as passive use under this definition:
1683257543183.png
"

Source: http://www.citymtb.org/home/understanding-active-passive-recreational-uses-part-1

How is passive use not biking vs hiking?

"That brings us to the second part of this: what are the EPA’s definitions for active and passive use?
The EPA defines passive recreational use as:

They then include activities that would qualify as passive use under this definition:
View attachment 212925"

Source: http://www.citymtb.org/home/understanding-active-passive-recreational-uses-part-1
The loaded term here is “prepared facilities”. When do trail improvements or features fall into this category. Now I know there isn’t much of that there but…

The loaded term here is “prepared facilities”. When do trail improvements or features fall into this category. Now I know there isn’t much of that there but…
Aren't all of our trails 'prepared'? If not for some sort of maintenance mother nature would take over.

@pkovo can you take that link to the next meeting? :)
Well, I don't think the mayor is my biggest fan as I've been pretty vocal against some unrelated items she has been for, so this might not be the best strategy 😬

Kidding aside though, I am sure this closure is NOT something she wants. I believe she has been very welcoming and "friend of cycling" in HB. Admittedly, I don't know the full story with this hiccup so I could be off, but I gather something in the deed was overlooked from the onset, and someone who is not a fan of the trails up there may have dug it out.

I don't know exactly what is in that deed. I fear it could include something that addresses biking specifically or something. But that's a total guess. Hoping to eventually take a look for myself.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions