need new fron chainrings..do myself or bring to shop

tichlo

So I want to swap out my front chain rings in hopefully the lest step in fixing my chain skip problem.

(putting on new cassette just moved the problem from back to front)

Is this something I should do on my own (buy crank puller and whatever other tools I need) or just let a shop do it?

I guess I'm worried that in trying to save a few buck I mess up BB and end up spending a bunch more.

What type of bottom bracket does your bike have? It might be easier than you think if you have the newer style outboard bearing type bottom bracket.

What type of bottom bracket does your bike have? It might be easier than you think if you have the newer style outboard bearing type bottom bracket.

I have absolutely no idea...here is a pic

IMG_0053.JPG

Changing the rings isn't particularly difficult, but it seems like you aren't really sure what the problem is and your just shooting in the dark trying to solve the problem. If you take it to a good LBS, they can help you diagnose the problem and you will learn something valuable in the process. Just my $.02.

What's skipping in the front?

Haha, nevermind...maybe that missing tooth has something to do with it....

Depending on your chainring bolts you might need a "chairing bolt wrench" or just another allen wrench.

Cranksets usually come off with some wiggling and pulling unless they have been on a while. Get a new middle and large ring. Really easy swap...i recommend doing it yourself.

You don't need to touch the BB, however a park BBt-9 will do the job. Opposite side unscrews lefty loosey....crank side unthreads righty loosey.

Last edited:
Those rings look BAAAAAAD! You need a chain too if you haven't done that yet. Swapping rings is easy "IF" you know what you're doing. I don't know your abilities so if you're unsure take it to the shop. Maybe they'll give you a few pointers.

You don't need to take the crank arms off, just take the 4 bolts out that hold the chainring on and swap the ring. You can't change the small ring, but no way is that one worn out on you. Well I guess they do eventually wear out...

Oh and I have those crank, just that 10mm bolt inside the non drive side is the only thing that holds the cranks on the bike. Unscrew that bolt (it stays inside the arm when completely loose) and give that side arm a few whacks and it will pop off, ditto for the other side but the drive side comes out with the shaft that runs through.
No special tools needed, takes seriously 90 seconds to get out.

Oh and I have those crank, just that 10mm bolt inside the non drive side is the only thing that holds the cranks on the bike. Unscrew that bolt (it stays inside the arm when completely loose) and give that side arm a few whacks and it will pop off, ditto for the other side but the drive side comes out with the shaft that runs through.
No special tools needed, takes seriously 90 seconds to get out.

thanks man - I'll give it a shot

You know the BCD??? Is it the same as shimano??? If so, I have a XTR middle, small and Raceface bashguard I am willing to part with for some coin...

Back
Top Bottom