Night Rides

sj_john

Just a reminder for all JORBA members:
We will be hosting our first in a series of night rides at Batsto this Friday night 10/09/09. Meet in the Batsto visitor center parking lot for an 8 PM start.
If you can't make this date, our schedule is posted at
http://www2.jorba.org/index.php?title=Wharton_Trail_Users

Hope to see you out there while we search for the Jersey Devil.

John
Wharton Trail Users

How was the ride John? I love night riding. I would like to ride it with you but 8:00 is a pretty late start for me.

How was the ride John? I love night riding. I would like to ride it with you but 8:00 is a pretty late start for me.

Good folks, summer like temps (in October!), once 'round the blue plus once 'round the green, equals a nice 16 mile night ride.
Brush work is continuing on the orange for its inclusion into next month's long loop night ride option.
(8:00 is too late? Any more than two hours earlier and its an afternoon ride! :) )

Night Time Fun

Ernie,
It was a great ride. It was quite warm for October.
The 8 PM start is my idea. It allows our group to get out of work and get down there.

John
Wharton Trail Users

Friday Night Lights

This week's ride will be the blue loop at Batsto.
Meet in the parking lot for an 8 PM start.

Weather looks cold for that night, crack out your Lakes, your Under Armour, get
a good charge in your batteries and let's ride.

The blue loop is 9 - 10 miles, about 3 miles of it is newer trail and is just
developing it's line.

John
JORBA-WTU

HOOOOOOO HAAAAAAA! We finally have true wintertime nightride temperatures and conditions (frozen & fast). Will pack the CamelBack antifreeze (but only because its the holidays.)

I want to go but I have no idea how to dress for how cold they say its going to be. 28 degrees by 6 PM. Any tips?

Cold Weather

NikkyE,
In the 20's, I wear a winter boot. I wear Lakes but since you are on flats you can wear hiking boots.
I wear wool socks, UnderArmour cold gear top and bottom and something windproof on the outer layer.
I cover my bald head and ears with a under helmet beanie.
I wear GoreBikeWear radiator gloves.
You should dress so that you are chilled in the parking lot. You will heat up as you start riding.
It is all up to your cold tolerance.

John
gas can hauler and trimmer
JORBA-WTU

NikkyE,
In the 20's, I wear a winter boot. I wear Lakes but since you are on flats you can wear hiking boots.
I wear wool socks, UnderArmour cold gear top and bottom and something windproof on the outer layer.
I cover my bald head and ears with a under helmet beanie.
I wear GoreBikeWear radiator gloves.
You should dress so that you are chilled in the parking lot. You will heat up as you start riding.
It is all up to your cold tolerance.

John
gas can hauler and trimmer
JORBA-WTU
Count me out. I don't have half of this stuff. I'll have to do some shopping.

Cold gear

NikkyE,
Any synthetic or wool tights or long underwear tops and bottoms would do.
I have had all types over the years and found the UA coldgear stuff pretty good. I also picked up some Nike coldgear tops at an outlet. Sometimes, you can find some of this stuff at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. I even read about one of the guys from the Iditibike race in Alaska outfitting himself at Walmart.

John

The March 12 Jersey Devil Ride from Batsto Village is postponed due to the weather. Rain until Monday w/ flood warnings for the 08037.

The next scheduled Jersey Devil night ride is April 9.

The 2010 JORBA Ride Series WSF Night Ride rain date is November 12. October and November are the very best times to ride the pines. So if there is a silver lining, I guess thats it. :)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions