SPDs with optional grip?

at100plus

I've been doing a lot of off road riding lately and I'm currently using toe strap pedals.

I find often that I want the option to not be strapped. I know SPDs are adjustable and not hard to escape but some technical stuff I think I'd be more comfortable with the option not to be hooked at all?

Any suggestions on a pedal that allows both or should I just stop being such a wuss and get SPDs??

As it is I have been flipping my strap pedals when I feel I don't want to be strapped but that's bad too cause I'm afraid the strap will hook something...

There are SPD Flat(platform) Pedals, I do not know how well they work with regular shoes. You can also get Shimano SPD Plastic Platform and Reflector set.

Any suggestions on a pedal that allows both or should I just stop being such a wuss and get SPDs??

This. You definitely don't want the death straps. SPD pedals are easy to get out of, and you can start with the multi-release cleats to make it even easier at first.

I've heard people say that practicing on grass works well. Stop and wait until the last possible second to unclip, and the grass will soften your blow if you don't get it fast enough. I started by using them on the road first.

I've been doing a lot of off road riding lately and I'm currently using toe strap pedals.

I find often that I want the option to not be strapped. I know SPDs are adjustable and not hard to escape but some technical stuff I think I'd be more comfortable with the option not to be hooked at all?

As it is I have been flipping my strap pedals when I feel I don't want to be strapped but that's bad too cause I'm afraid the strap will hook something...

I would recomend regular SPDs but there a few different choices in non traditional SPD. You have M324 which is only one-side SPD, my wife uses these for off-road and she feels more confident with them than reg SPDs. And 2 other options are the M647 and M545 both are two-sided with a smaller pedal platform around the SPD clip. Here's the M324 and M545 pics

Attachments

• shimano_pd-m324_m.jpg
    shimano_pd-m324_m.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 94
  • shimano_m545_pedal.jpg
    shimano_m545_pedal.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 94
If they suit your needs I have a pair of the ones on the left. Bought them from someone on this site for a bike that I was going to use as a commuter and then of course never used them.

I use the Shimano M424 SPD Pedals with the SPD shoes and have never had problems unclipping. Alot of times on rough or steep areas I will ride unclipped just incase something happens. The plastic on the outside holds up real well and can be replaced.:popcorn:

I currently run the 545 and have loved them. Will be switching to a standard SPD pedal soon but only for weight and appearance. The pedals have been great.

if you're comfortable on the platforms pedals, stay there.

hardtale70, one of the stronger riders on the site rides nothing but platforms. i have to admit, he makes a good argument.

I would recomend regular SPDs but there a few different choices in non traditional SPD. You have M324 which is only one-side SPD, my wife uses these for off-road and she feels more confident with them than reg SPDs. And 2 other options are the M647 and M545 both are two-sided with a smaller pedal platform around the SPD clip. Here's the M324 and M545 pics

Thanks for all the replies, the ones on the left are what I was wishing for. I'm going to hit up RNG1 for them.

Thanks Everyone.

one more quick question, are the platform type spds like the two pictured above, useable with the spd shoes but not hooked in? I'm not just looking for the ability to ride with regular sneakers, but I want to be able to simply flip the pedals so I don't have to hook in when riding through deep sandy spots or over alot of roots, or whatever area I'm not comfortable being hooked. I want to be able to ride with my spd shoes not hooked is what I'm getting at.

Seriously, get full on spd only pedals. You WILL get used to it and you will not ever want to go back. You don't even have to think about uncoupling after a while. Just get the multi release cleats for at first.
They caged spds don't help, at all. They are awful. The 2 sided ones are worse. Its just as easy to stand on the plain spds anyway. When I take photos I ride 3-8 miles with sneakers on spds, it's not as bad as you would think. The caged ones suck, you can't stand on the cage, you stand on the clip anyway cause it sticks up.

Seriously, get full on spd only pedals. You WILL get used to it and you will not ever want to go back. You don't even have to think about uncoupling after a while. Just get the multi release cleats for at first.
They caged spds don't help, at all. They are awful. The 2 sided ones are worse. Its just as easy to stand on the plain spds anyway. When I take photos I ride 3-8 miles with sneakers on spds, it's not as bad as you would think. The caged ones suck, you can't stand on the cage, you stand on the clip anyway cause it sticks up.

yeah, I've rode even in flip flops on my SPDs. Practice and just do it

Back
Top Bottom