Stephens State Park Conditions

Hey all,

I'm new to the MTBNJ forum here but I was out at Stephens yesterday and ran into who I would think is @chainsawer based on the interactions we had on the trail. I'm Shamus đź‘‹

I wanted to share some of the downed trees we came across.

Sunset Trail -
Came across three trees down. One a little ways into the trail, then towards the end of the trail after the 2nd rock drop and then at the very end of the trail is another tree down. It's probably technically on the white trail.

Cooler Trail -
At least three trees were down here.

Border / Mulch pit trail had two down.

See photos for reference.
Last photos since I could only post 10. Hope this helps to track the mess. We were also recently over at Allamuchy and cleared a bunch off of the Slinger Slasher switchbacks.

Attachments

• IMG_6990.jpg
    IMG_6990.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6992.jpg
    IMG_6992.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6993.PNG
    IMG_6993.PNG
    108.8 KB · Views: 15
Hey all,

I'm new to the MTBNJ forum here but I was out at Stephens yesterday and ran into who I would think is @chainsawer based on the interactions we had on the trail. I'm Shamus đź‘‹

I wanted to share some of the downed trees we came across.

Sunset Trail -
Came across three trees down. One a little ways into the trail, then towards the end of the trail after the 2nd rock drop and then at the very end of the trail is another tree down. It's probably technically on the white trail.

Cooler Trail -
At least three trees were down here.

Border / Mulch pit trail had two down.

See photos for reference.
That was me! Nice to meet you guys and thanks for the excellent Intel! After we met I went back and finished sunset. Tonight I'm gonna get to the cooler, mulch pit areas.

Tonight's 3 hour mission started at the Firetower Road access (the blue waypoint). I cleared a really big one on green (with one chunk so heavy I had to leave it right in the middle of the trail!). Then I got the three on Cooler. I doubled back and got the one on Suburu.

Two 300+lb bears were waiting at the trailhead not far from the car. Sensing how sweaty and disgusting I was, they decided I wouldn't be a very good snack and moved on.

Maybe I'll get in tonight for one more session, but then next opportunity is after the holiday weekend. Generally speaking the middle of the park is in better shape than the northern and southern ends.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    244 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I cleared a really big one on green (with one chunk so heavy I had to leave it right in the middle of the trail!).
Good call. Especially when it’s a pesky “Y shaped log” that is in the middle of the trail. Just cut it and know that a group of 2-3 strong bikers or hikers will eventually pass through and move it with ease as a group effort.

I promised myself I wasn't gonna go out tonight but my OCD got the better of me.

Tonight's mission finished up the Northern side of the park. Assume all waypoints along my yellow path have been cleared. (Thanks to "O" for the assist on a couple of those). Aside from the single one that HiFiGuy just reported near the station road lot and a big root ball on Hally Toe, I'm gonna say the middle and north side of Stephens are complete and rideable.

The Southern side of the park nearest the ranger station remains a mess. As shown in the second screenshot, I'm tracking a few targets, but there's a handful more that I'm NOT tracking. There's potential for a few other JORBA Sawyers from other parks to drop in to assist in that area. TBD on that. Intel would be very helpful on that side, if anybody's looking for a chore.

OK, that's a wrap for me till after the holiday weekend. Be well everyone!!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    271.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    306.6 KB · Views: 23
Just reported to me a few minutes ago. Nothing bigger than 10-12". And that one fat root ball on hally toe. At least 2 on recently visited trails. Thx to Anthony C for the Intel.

Attachments

• 1000003161.png
    1000003161.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 1000003160.png
    1000003160.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions