Sterling Forest Trail Conditions

Big tree down about a third of the way on Red Back

IMG_8395.jpeg

Big tree down about a third of the way on Red Back

View attachment 238912
Can you give more details? 1/3 of the way from Hutchinson or Munsee Eagle? Coordinates work best. Redback trail also meets up with McKeags Meadow and circles back to Southgate.
Size of tree in diameter?
You can also report blowdowns here as well. We get to them quicker with this link.

Also, I get trail reports on Trailforks which you can mark the spot with GPS.

Can you give more details? 1/3 of the way from Hutchinson or Munsee Eagle? Coordinates work best. Redback trail also meets up with McKeags Meadow and circles back to Southgate.
Size of tree in diameter?
You can also report blowdowns here as well. We get to them quicker with this link.

Also, I get trail reports on Trailforks which you can mark the spot with GPS.
Red Back PMTB Realignment trail entering from Hutchinson. TM work is going on by the stream crossing on the bottom of the trail Just walk up.

I got out for a look this evening. I walked from Southgate, up Redback to Hutch to Augusta Mine to McKeags the short way to Redback, up the hill on Redback and the back to Southgate.

Zero down trees on Redback up to Hutch. 3 each on the part of Hutch that I walked and Augusta Mine. Hutch and Augusta mine are littered with sticks. Plan on getting a new derailleur if you ride before it gets de-twigged.

Shepard (with assistance) is going out with a saw tomorrow and will start in from Caretaker. Gut feeling is that there are more down on the part of hutch that I didn’t see and Munsee Eagle over to the power lines and beyond.

IMG_8629.jpeg
IMG_8637.jpeg
IMG_8639.jpeg
IMG_8644.jpeg
IMG_8646.jpeg

I got out for a look this evening. I walked from Southgate, up Redback to Hutch to Augusta Mine to McKeags the short way to Redback, up the hill on Redback and the back to Southgate.

Zero down trees on Redback up to Hutch. 3 each on the part of Hutch that I walked and Augusta Mine. Hutch and Augusta mine are littered with sticks. Plan on getting a new derailleur if you ride before it gets de-twigged.

Shepard (with assistance) is going out with a saw tomorrow and will start in from Caretaker. Gut feeling is that there are more down on the part of hutch that I didn’t see and Munsee Eagle over to the power lines and beyond.

View attachment 239020View attachment 239021View attachment 239022View attachment 239023View attachment 239024
Ugh. On a side note: Do you know anyone who sharpens Silky saws? 😭

For the most part the trails are all clear. There’s still some twigging and small branch removal to do. Thanks to Shepard, his son and Art White for clearing the ones that needed a chainsaw and to everyone else who was out today dragging the 5hi gs 5hat didn’t need cutting off the trails.

Note that on Hutchinson near the caretaker lot there is still a blowdown that you can get through, but there are still branches overhead.

Any recent trail reports? Thinking about tomorrow.
I was there last week and got absolutely wrecked by swarms of biting flies. They had an orange tint. Deer flies maybe? It was horrific. I'd never experienced anything like it. So, just be warned. Not sure what kind of bug spray would have prevented it. I wasn't able to out-ride them, even while descending. I only used my "natural" bug spray not the picardin stuff, so maybe something stronger would have helped. They were not in the parking lot or in the sunny exposed part near the power lines. Worse by any body of water. Hurt like hell when they bit, and bit through kit. Itched like hell for a few days after too.

Anyway, anyone else experienced this recently? I'm kind of traumatized lol. Welcome any tips on prevention or times of day to avoid. I was there 9:30-11:30 ish.

Conditions otherwise were excellent!

I was there this past Saturday on Redback, digging. There were close to zero bugs. Didn’t need incense, didn’t have to reapply the deet.

It wasn’t very windy so I can’t say that kept the bugs away.

100% different from the previous Saturday in the same area.

Last edited:
I was there this past Saturday on Redback, digging. There were close to zero bugs. Didn’t need incense, didn’t have to reapply the deet.

It wasn’t very windy so I can’t say that kept the bugs away.

100% different from the previous Saturday in the same area.
I wonder if there is just a particular "high season" for those flies?? Anyway, folks who do go, please continue to report back! I'm honestly afraid to go again until I know the coast is relatively clear!

Last edited:
Any recent trail reports? Thinking about tomorrow.
I was building on Redback yesterday for 4 hours. The cool weather has reduced the bugs for sure at least on Redback where we were working.
Trail conditions are good although with the tremendous infestation of caterpillars, there’s reduced canopy on much of Munsee Eagle. On hotter days, it’s like riding in the desert on some sections.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_5218.jpeg
    IMG_5218.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 19

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions