The Good Deals Thread

I wish I had gravel roads out the door but I don't so they don't appeal to me. Want gravel? I feel the rumble under my TacX on zwift. haha

I used my gravel bike as my road bike, not necessary need gravel to ride it. I like gravel over a road bike mainly because it has a more relaxed riding position and I can put wider tires on a gravel bike for even more comfort.

those intense 951s at costco - $2k

I was looking for an OG santa cruz heckler to park and huck again but damn next morning $2k 951s drop 😬
Those intense bikes look amazing! Posting the links here for easier reference -

951 Trail - https://www.costco.com/intense-951-trail-bike.product.4000136517.html - $2000
951 XC - https://www.costco.com/intense-951-xc-bike.product.100691780.html - $1800
951 Gravel Shimano 2X - https://www.costco.com/intense-951-gravel-bike.product.4000136191.html - $1500
951 Gravel SRAM 1X - https://www.costco.com/intense-951-gravel-bike.product.4000136191.html - $1500

look amazing
not sure I would say amazing....good deal, but bottom of the barrel components...wheels, drivetrain....low level fox stuff.....good deal, I think amazing is a bit strong. At this price point and a carbon frame...id still go to a bike shop all day over costco.....NFW anyone at costco knows how to put a bike together lol.

not sure I would say amazing....good deal, but bottom of the barrel components...wheels, drivetrain....low level fox stuff.....good deal, I think amazing is a bit strong. At this price point and a carbon frame...id still go to a bike shop all day over costco.....NFW anyone at costco knows how to put a bike together lol.

They ship to your home and you and Bobzilla lean on the Mustang and assemble.

I agree the MTB are okay, but those gravel bikes are tempting. SRAM Apex 1x or Shimano GRX??

Anyone looking: Medium is a 56 and Large is a 58.

The GRX on the carbon gravel is pretty well respected for the money I thought. If I was getting it, I would ship it to me and assemble it myself, thats the fun part.

The GRX on the carbon gravel is pretty well respected for the money I thought. If I was getting it, I would ship it to me and assemble it myself, thats the fun part.

It's a mix of GRX400 brakes, 600 shifters, and 800 RD. If it was full 800 I would agree I think.

I did the calculations for the two bikes in gear inches.

Apex is 25 to 101 on 40c
GRX is 24 to 116 on 40c
Ultegra 50/34, 11-34 is 27 to 123 on 32c

Basically, top end gear on both Apex 1X and Shimano GRX are the same. But the GRX has two lower climbing gears. But it's also a little heavier, complex, and you have crosschaining to consider. Not really an easy decision.

I think here is where I am on it:

1X if you will have a road bike for faster group rides and will use gravel bike for exploring
2X if you want an all purpose bike that will (nearly) replace your road bike

Apex is 25 to 101 on 40c
GRX is 24 to 116 on 40c

Basically, top end gear on both Apex 1X and Shimano GRX are the same. But the GRX has two lower climbing gears. But it's also a little heavier, complex, and you have crosschaining to consider. Not really an easy decision.

1X if you will have a road bike for faster group rides and will use gravel bike for exploring

Hey, we have enough nerds here. Stick with market based opinions.

Last edited:

Apex is 25 to 101 on 40c
GRX is 24 to 116 on 40c

I would 100% agree with this assessment.

Previous gravel bike was Trek Checkpoint with full Shimano GRX 800 series group set with 2x up front I think 46/30.
I used it mostly for gravel but did road rides on it with a spare set of wheels and 32 road tires and never felt like I was spinning out even in some faster rides we did.

My new to me gravel bike is SRAM 1x 40T up front and 10-50T out back. I just did 64 miles of mixed road/gravel at the Sourlands event yesterday and I was maxing out around 25-27 mph to try to hang with the road bike guys. On any downhills I would just tuck in and coast no sense pedaling and wasting any energy.

I have a dedicated road bike (as you all know) but I could 100% see having my previous Shimano 2x bike as both road and gravel if I had to have only one. Lucky for me I have both 😁

They ship to your home and you and Bobzilla lean on the Mustang and assemble.
ok thats fair, and I wasnt thinking about that when I posted.....and I should know that since I am a member at costco.......and I also let costco put tires on my car, so whose the real idiot? lol.
@UtahJoe you shred harder than us and that’s okay
lol...I just feel like with a little shopping around, you can probably find something with ALOT better components....yes, it would cost more, but I think it would be worth it. But its a good deal for sure.

ok thats fair, and I wasnt thinking about that when I posted.....and I should know that since I am a member at costco.......and I also let costco put tires on my car, so whose the real idiot? lol.

lol...I just feel like with a little shopping around, you can probably find something with ALOT better components....yes, it would cost more, but I think it would be worth it. But its a good deal for sure.

The ~$1500 price range would typically put you on an alloy frame with mechanical disc brakes and an 8 or 9 speed shimano or microshift group. Not tubeless ready wheels too.

This thing is a bargain if that's all the budget you have. Even comes with bottle cages and lights!?!?! Sure, it's all entry level but if you're trying to dip a toe into the sport I don't know where you could find a better deal.

I spent way too long looking at gravel bikes over the winter and watching prices. Cheapest was Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 for $1600 or a Trek Checkpoint Apex 1 for $1800. Cheapest CF frame bike was Giant Revolt with GRX600/800 for $2700. I nearly messaged a guy last week with a Specialized Diverge on FB Marketplace. CF, Apex 1, and $2000. I would have offered $1800 and been very happy but the head tube shock seems gimmicky. I mean, with 40c tires at 40psi, why do I need a spring in the head tube?

ANYWAYS. I ordered an Intense gravel bike with Shimano GRX. I was torn between GRX and Apex and decided to sleep on it. Well, the GRX is nearly sold out as of today so I jumped on it.

If I hate it, I'll return it to Costco. But for $1600 after tax and free delivery, I'll give it a try. It's maybe a pound heavier than some more expensive bikes but it looks to be mostly in the wheelset and tires.

Thanks @Mare @Dictatorsaurus @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST for letting me annoy you all winter about this silliness.

Back
Top Bottom