The Hurricane Ida Chimney Rock Relief Effort Thread

serviceguy

Try again - something changed with image copy/paste

Yes, but it's still the same bike. Can you try and fix it again?

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The trail work is much appreciated.
Noticed @gmb3 work as soon as I rolled in from the top. Well done!
I couldn't believe the amount of damage throughout the park. Where did all of those rocks come from? CRAZY!!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
probably could get there by 2 or 3

Not sure I can go or not. Shoot me a PM when you have a better idea.

Start on Gilbride again, climb orange. Instead of going left to the switchbacks you did today, go right and keep going up. Cross small wooden bridge and the area right after that is a gulley & eroded. This is a little more involved as it will need some digging/dirt moving and you may need to source a little dirt from "somewhere" but it's not a huge section and it definitely needs attention.

CNJRider

Joker
In a few days this should dry out and be passable. As it is now, it's poop-free but still greasy.
Between this week’s rain and your shit slinging, I think the foul odor is gone. This afternoon I rode through the damp part of black, down the rooty embankment, across the rocky stream bed and up to Gilbride and did not get any whiff of it. Much, much better than last Sunday. Mucho gracias.

Last edited:

CNJRider

Joker
The trail work is much appreciated.
Noticed @gmb3 work as soon as I rolled in from the top. Well done!
I couldn't believe the amount of damage throughout the park. Where did all of those rocks come from? CRAZY!!
Think I saw you today? I was coming down blue taking it counterclockwise around 5pm when I exchanged greetings with someone in an orange jersey on a silver bike. Anyway, conditions were just ok today. Bit more damp and standing water than I expected it would be.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Between this week’s rain and your shit slinging, I think the foul odor is gone. This afternoon I rode through the damp part of black, down the rooty embankment, across the rocky stream bed and up to Gilbride and did not get any whiff of it. Much, much better than last Sunday. Mucho gracias.

Wow, gotta say I’m pleasantly surprised how quickly that turned out. Still, I’m not eager to sign up for that job again.

hls811

I finally got a chance to pitch in today. Took advantage of a large gap between meetings to get out there and clean up the Orange Switchbacks as our fearless leaders instructed me. Gilbride lot still closed so had to park at ballfields and hike over - and I took the long way walking down most of Gilbride just to avoid "the shithole". Still a pretty short hike in. All the switchbacks were cleaned and widened for your carving pleasure.
View attachment 167311
View attachment 167312
View attachment 167313
That looks great! Thanks you you and everyone else for the hard work in getting this fixed back up.
I renewed my JORBA membership last week and would still love to help if TM weekend comes up!

Somehow “the shithole” needs to be the official name of that section.

“Cross over the shithole and you can get to black, orange or yellow”.

serviceguy

Wow, gotta say I’m pleasantly surprised how quickly that turned out. Still, I’m not eager to sign up for that job again.
Is there any rationale available for the reason that the abhorrent substance piled up in that specific location and where it came from (we all know where it came from originally, what I mean is where it was previously 'stored') ? If anything to look into possible ways to avoid that very specific event happens again.

Great work done by everybody involved, unfortunately I could only wish that I could have help in this case.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Is there any rationale available for the reason that the abhorrent substance piled up in that specific location and where it came from (we all know where it came from originally, what I mean is where it was previously 'stored') ? If anything to look into possible ways to avoid that very specific event happens again.

Great work done by everybody involved, unfortunately I could only wish that I could have help in this case.

There is a pumping station right next to it that doesn't do a good job at pumping when it is flooded.

serviceguy

There is a pumping station right next to it that doesn't do a good job at pumping when it is flooded.

I guess I have lot to learn, especially on the matter of sewage displacement, I wasn't aware there were 'pumping stations'... I guess that, as was eloquently put by a rep from a company I contacted once for a septic tank removal from a property I was interested in, s$%t doesn't go uphill!

Thanks @Norm , you really did a s&%tty job this time (in the only possible positive connotation of the word off course)!

Cafe Dave

Rode parts of CR this weekend and it was fun as always. Parts of the trail are riding better than ever as result of all the recent TM efforts.

If there's anyone who is concerned about riding CR - don't be. It's mostly rideable and you'll get to see some of the carnage first hand - which is impressive in itself. For example, there was a small stream crossing on Red trail that was about 6 inches deep and maybe 2 feet wide.... Now it's about 5 foot deep and 8 feet wide :eek: ... and that's just one example. Riding/hiking here will give you a new appreciation for what nature can do.. but also an appreciation for what the community can do to help restore and adapt the trails for all visitors - and getting educated in this thread at the same time is bonus. What a deal :)

I've missed a couple TM sessions and unsure if I can attend future ones, but I clicked the JORBA donate button.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Not sure I can go or not. Shoot me a PM when you have a better idea.

Start on Gilbride again, climb orange. Instead of going left to the switchbacks you did today, go right and keep going up. Cross small wooden bridge and the area right after that is a gulley & eroded. This is a little more involved as it will need some digging/dirt moving and you may need to source a little dirt from "somewhere" but it's not a huge section and it definitely needs attention.
I MIGHT be able to get to this before the Saturday TM. Will let you know.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions