The Official Uncertified Dog Training Thread

serviceguy

thats mostly because me you and @serviceguy have been too busy to post stuff here 😆 😆 😆
In my case not fully resolved but improved upon. On the 4/5 training lesson turns out that Bailey L lacks basic skills...duh! So finally we got to work on that and she's been doing much better, also using some tools that improved her leash manners. I didn't want to jinx it so I kept it quiet...still working on it. She's a little under the weather too, not sure what it is but on Saturday we already had an appointment booked with the vet so we'll see.

kdebello

Trimming her nails has always been an issue for us. We can bring Bailey to the vet to get them trimmed and tell them she always fights us. They come out and let us know she was wonderful. Didn't give any issues, just sat there. For that reason alone, we end up usually bringing her to the vet to get them done.

We've tried everything we can think of to get her to let us do it. We have a grinder and she doesn't act afraid of it at all. Turn it on, she looks at it, sniffs it. We can even put it up to her paw and let her feel the vibration. The second we hold her paw to try and grind the nail, she takes off. Just doesn't like it. We've even tried using a clipper instead of the grinder. Same thing

We've tried giving her treats, she just won't let us cut her nails. What it basically takes is to do one nail, then go back a little later and do another. It might take an entire week to do them all. I'd really like for her to let us do it, but with Bailey being so good at the vet, it's worth it.

serviceguy

Trimming her nails has always been an issue for us. We can bring Bailey to the vet to get them trimmed and tell them she always fights us. They come out and let us know she was wonderful. Didn't give any issues, just sat there. For that reason alone, we end up usually bringing her to the vet to get them done.

We've tried everything we can think of to get her to let us do it. We have a grinder and she doesn't act afraid of it at all. Turn it on, she looks at it, sniffs it. We can even put it up to her paw and let her feel the vibration. The second we hold her paw to try and grind the nail, she takes off. Just doesn't like it. We've even tried using a clipper instead of the grinder. Same thing

We've tried giving her treats, she just won't let us cut her nails. What it basically takes is to do one nail, then go back a little later and do another. It might take an entire week to do them all. I'd really like for her to let us do it, but with Bailey being so good at the vet, it's worth it.
That's actually on Bailey L list at the vet on Saturday so we'll see. Last time (and her first) we went to the vet she peed herself when they put her on the scale...so it's going to be interesting.

Mare

Have you seen the hammock like things that suspend your dog? I wonder if this would help you?? You don’t have to hang them, but if there’s two of you, one of you can hold the dog up a little bit even if all their paws are still on the floor.

571409B3-5ACD-4132-89FA-CA5B74F50420.jpeg

Mare

I’m facing a huge dilemma with Marlee, but I can take my time thinking. I’ll hold back on details for now and share a happy evening with puppy.

When it’s dark and cold, we go to a school to play on the jungle gyms. I couldn’t get videos on the stuff itself cause it’s too dark, but she did fantastic following my commands up and down on everything. This video was the best I could get with limited light and poor recording abilities on my part. We’re working on figure 8s and stuff.

iman29

There does come a point where despite your best efforts of the vet can do it stress free (for the dog) then why pursue it at home.

I’ve got Shelby about to the halfway point where I can get one or two paws done but then she starts the shut down and gets scared. I will try the buzzer tool next and see if she’s more receptive otherwise the $19 the vet charges me will have to do.

iman29

In my case not fully resolved but improved upon. On the 4/5 training lesson turns out that Bailey L lacks basic skills...duh! So finally we got to work on that and she's been doing much better, also using some tools that improved her leash manners. I didn't want to jinx it so I kept it quiet...still working on it. She's a little under the weather too, not sure what it is but on Saturday we already had an appointment booked with the vet so we'll see.
good to hear that youre still working with her. Also good to hear some of the same guidance from the trainer that I mentioned earlier about having a good training foundation. While it may seem in 1-2 sessions that she understands the basics, I find once the dog knows what you expect (learning it) then you have to reinforce it just about every day or even with some short interactions multiple times a day randomly to really embed it as a normal behavior. So ultimately you should be able to put her in sit or down under any circumstances.

Hope she feels better soon - keep at it!

iman29

I’m facing a huge dilemma with Marlee, but I can take my time thinking. I’ll hold back on details for now and share a happy evening with puppy.

When it’s dark and cold, we go to a school to play on the jungle gyms. I couldn’t get videos on the stuff itself cause it’s too dark, but she did fantastic following my commands up and down on everything. This video was the best I could get with limited light and poor recording abilities on my part. We’re working on figure 8s and stuff.

wow her focus and responses are like military precision thats really good!!

serviceguy

Bailey L. is doing O-K, mostly maintenance for the training received so far as the purchased training sessions have been used up.

Trying to be consistent with what we've achieved so far (very little) trying not to loose anything along the way. She had a relapse in bike fear but that seems to have been resolved, again. Until the next time. She seems to freak out easily at things, pretty much as easily as she gets distracted when outside.

At least the jumping at cars and leash pulling seems t have been vastly improved, we've taken her to the park for walks. She's now friend with the neighbor she was constantly barking at, so that's good too.

She has now a play mate, a same age as her pitbull/plott hound mix ball of energy aspiring dog trail (her owner is a well known member of RTC). We've been on two doggy play dates in their fenced backyard and it was a blast to see the running around like complete lunatics off the leash.

iman29

Over the last 6 weeks or so I successfully taught Shelby to walk next to me off leash for multiple blocks. Given the right conditions I can even have her wait on the corner when I cross the street and then come to me when I call her across.

I have a few videos but can’t post them here but these pics were the result of a lot of work (and treats!). I don’t have her to the point I can just walk anywhere off leash and I really don’t plan to. But it’s good to know I can keep her attention off leash and she responds to commands immediately.

A1D1AFAD-8ACB-4B2E-A532-7F735B442904.jpegD5B1A64B-2103-4B9F-92CC-D0B35B046D67.jpeg

serviceguy

Over the last 6 weeks or so I successfully taught Shelby to walk next to me off leash for multiple blocks. Given the right conditions I can even have her wait on the corner when I cross the street and then come to me when I call her across.

I have a few videos but can’t post them here but these pics were the result of a lot of work (and treats!). I don’t have her to the point I can just walk anywhere off leash and I really don’t plan to. But it’s good to know I can keep her attention off leash and she responds to commands immediately.

View attachment 182659View attachment 182660
That’s great! I can’t complain about Bailey L either, after a lot of exercise I’ve finally managed to teach her to ignore my commands even when I’m holding a treat in each hand. That’s my girl!

iman29

Is this thread dead? Hope not. BTW, Bailey L. had an epiphany and decided to l earn the paw trick in about 20 minutes, right and left! Still need some fine tuning (sometimes she lays down instead of giving you the paw) but it's still progress.
Haha no way but it seems to be kept alive by the same folks.

Good to hear shes responsive to more obedience/commands. All those things together will continue to build the connection between you two. Shelby has a long list of things like this she can do (sit, wait, paw, other paw, spin left, spin right, down, speak....) but it's only because the foundation is there.

I'd suggest to continue every day working on the on-leash behaviors its really the foundation to build on. Your measure of success would be to see how much of the time you spend walking with her with a "loose leash". This is something I do with Shelby pretty much every time shes on the leash (2-3 times a day) for at least 10-20 minutes.

Since we started doing some off leash training, her response to recall (Shelby Here) has also dramatically improved. My son came with us on a training walk and he thinks she actually listens and responds better to all the commands when shes off the leash than on.

kdebello

I still read every post, but haven't had anything to add lately. With my girls HS softball season in full swing, the walk/training schedule for Bailey D has been mixed up quite a bit.

My goals for now are trying to work in more socializing with both people and other dogs, if possible. Bailey is not aggressive, but she is very anxious and her go to response to getting attention is whining then barking. For example, a friend of mine was over and Bailey was barking like crazy for my wife to taker her out. When she came outside, she would bark to get his attention, but when we brought her over all she wanted to do is sit by him and be pet. Then all was good. What we have tried to do is be consistent with telling her to sit then saying to her "quiet". When she calms down, she gets a treat, then she is allowed to go to the person she wants to see.

serviceguy

Ok, so on the last episode of "Bailey's Path to Enlightenment" we took a long hike in the woods, and while still doing her own thing, she behaved nicely (we kind of compromised really, good enough for now). Since at the very beginning of the hike I stepped on some dog doodoo courtesy of the unknown rogue dog walker, once back from the hike my wife walked first in the house with Bailey while I was taking my boots off on the doorstep. To my surprise, while balancing on the one still booted foot, I saw a flash of yellow (Bailey's harness) pass by my leg and disappear on the driveway. She was R-U-N-N-I-N-GGGG. I put my boot back on and ran after her on the street, she was already 3 houses up the road and playing hide and seek with a little girl that happened to be walking up the road. The girl was trying to grab the harness handle but Bailey wouldn't let her, not aggressively, just backing up from her. I called Bailey and she ran to me just to zip to the right at the last second. I was getting worried because I could see a school bus approaching...thankfully when I called her again she approached close enough so I could get a hold of her collar and take her back home. I did not told her off, nor punish her in any way, but she's been very skittish ever since, she will not even get up her bed to come and pick up her favorite treats...not sure what's going on but it's just puzzling.

Also, on a non related issue, for the last 2 weeks she doesn't seem interested to pee within the property so most of the times we have to walk her around the street corner just so she relieves herself, which makes for fun especially at 6:30 a.m. when I'm supposed to be on my way to work...

Any idea @iman29 ?

iman29

Ok, so on the last episode of "Bailey's Path to Enlightenment" we took a long hike in the woods, and while still doing her own thing, she behaved nicely (we kind of compromised really, good enough for now). Since at the very beginning of the hike I stepped on some dog doodoo courtesy of the unknown rogue dog walker, once back from the hike my wife walked first in the house with Bailey while I was taking my boots off on the doorstep. To my surprise, while balancing on the one still booted foot, I saw a flash of yellow (Bailey's harness) pass by my leg and disappear on the driveway. She was R-U-N-N-I-N-GGGG. I put my boot back on and ran after her on the street, she was already 3 houses up the road and playing hide and seek with a little girl that happened to be walking up the road. The girl was trying to grab the harness handle but Bailey wouldn't let her, not aggressively, just backing up from her. I called Bailey and she ran to me just to zip to the right at the last second. I was getting worried because I could see a school bus approaching...thankfully when I called her again she approached close enough so I could get a hold of her collar and take her back home. I did not told her off, nor punish her in any way, but she's been very skittish ever since, she will not even get up her bed to come and pick up her favorite treats...not sure what's going on but it's just puzzling.

Also, on a non related issue, for the last 2 weeks she doesn't seem interested to pee within the property so most of the times we have to walk her around the street corner just so she relieves herself, which makes for fun especially at 6:30 a.m. when I'm supposed to be on my way to work...

Any idea @iman29 ?
hey @serviceguy i guess i missed this one somehow with all the personal stuff I had going on the start of the new year.

is this any better its been a few weeks? seems to me something triggered her or got her spooked and she took off either from fear, anxiety, excitement or a combination of all of them. It's really hard to judge without meeting her since I don't have any way to assess her personality.

on a related note my dog training brain kicks in and tells me that you would benefit from some good recall training with her. by this i mean the ability to have her come to you on command in a way that is not negative or a punishment. combined with this I would also suggest an "emergency" command - down with loud voice. Believe it or not, dogs can lay down much faster then they can sit and laying down is a more natural position for them - they spend a lot of time doing this.

Hopefully this is not taken as criticism since you asked for ideas. I see the symptoms only on your messages here (running away, wont come back, fear/anxiety) so this is only based on my experiences working with all kinds of other dogs.

Hope this helps and Miss Bailey is doing OK.

Top Bottom