Ticks

Wow. Dog and I in woods all the time but 2 days ago we were both covered after a 1 mile walk, staying on trails. We must've hit a nest or something. Thought I had gotten all off me and as many as possible off dog, but picked a tiny bugger off me that was by my hamstring. Came off easily so hoping it wasn't on for 24 hrs. It seems they walk around the house after being brought in on fur, clothes, etc and wander until they find you. Dog is vacinated every year but can't use any tick prevention meds due to seizures. Careful out there!

This. If there were a human version of Simparica, I'd be on it. (But it would probably cost $1000/mo so ..... maybe not.......)
I've had luck with 25% deet the last few years. And I just treated some of my summer gear with permethrin. Hopefully that will keep it at bay...

I also find a lint roller works well for pulling ticks off my dog and for checking myself too. You burn through a lot of sheets, but it's the best thing I've found so far.

I've had luck with 25% deet the last few years. And I just treated some of my summer gear with permethrin. Hopefully that will keep it at bay...

I also find a lint roller works well for pulling ticks off my dog and for checking myself too. You burn through a lot of sheets, but it's the best thing I've found so far.
These are some I pulled off my dog when we had a big tick problem in mg back yard (fall 2020)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240524-151136.png
    Screenshot_20240524-151136.png
    540.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20240524-151232.png
    Screenshot_20240524-151232.png
    448.7 KB · Views: 26
Today I pulled a tick off my son’s nut sack. True story. Poor kid was traumatized. I’m a little too.

Reminder from your friendly neighborhood veterinarian that this is why your dog should be in flea/tick prevention year-round. If you tell you veterinarian that you never seen ticks in your dog, they're going to believe you - but then should tell you that just because you're not seeing them doesn't mean they're not there. Tell me how you're finding that thing in any fur coat.
Yup we have always done year round flea tick and heartworm for Shelby and our other dog but it was always 2 differnt chewables.

Just changed to this one for her.

Question: is it feasible to find dead ones on her or do they just fall off ? We have never had an issue and she only walks the neighborhood and runs in the yard but that doesn’t mean she can’t get any I would assume.

Thanks !
IMG_7066.png

Yup we have always done year round flea tick and heartworm for Shelby and our other dog but it was always 2 differnt chewables.

Just changed to this one for her.

Question: is it feasible to find dead ones on her or do they just fall off ? We have never had an issue and she only walks the neighborhood and runs in the yard but that doesn’t mean she can’t get any I would assume.

Thanks !
View attachment 239105
You may find dead ticks on her but mostly they fall off - once they're dead, the glue that adheres them to the skin breaks down pretty quickly. Ticks are EVERYWHERE in this part of the country - not just tall grass or wooded areas. I used to live in a 2nd floor apartment in Yonkers and found 3-4 ticks inside every Summer.

Back
Top Bottom