Volunteer Day - Sunday November 5th - New Trail

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Save the date - Volunteer trail building opportunity!

Sunday, November 5th - Parking in the field across from the iron gate. Follow signs, the field entrance will be unlocked for this work session.

9am meetup and safety brief. Work expected until noon, perhaps later. Refreshments provided.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/GzqZewyhrbfdPZn66

**Please note the clock change for daylight savings time

Scope of work: Hand tool finish work on mechanically built tread. Raking, grading, drainage, etc. Bring hydration, Gloves, Eye protections, boots, proper clothing for the weather conditions.

Last edited:
Some history of the project:

The Green Rock Trail build is well on it's way to becoming a reality. This project has been sitting in the queue for quite some time. It was originally envisioned by @Jason G, OG founder of these forums and NJ NICA founding member. @Bleeder put together the plan and site, and we walked the proposed trail with the state. Having cleared land management review, it was eventually approved by our partners at the NJ DEP. It was then stalled due to lack of funding.

The route, which will serve as the descent back to the concert field for a proposed NJ NICA course that climbs the Blue Rock trail, traverses some thick and rocky terrain and called for mechanized construction in phase one.

Sparing the reader too much more of the boring admin deets and fast forwarding to the present day, we are so happy to report that the mechanized work is completed and the corridor is cleared. This was made possible thanks to the amazing efforts of some tremendous JORBA supporters.

Champions of the mechanized build:

@3MTA3 who offered to donate personal time after completing the amazing work going on at Dickerson Mine
@jdog who took an entire week off from peddling pedaling @ Halter's Cycles and continues to drive up there to contribute his expertise
Jesse E, owner of Marty's Reliable Cycles, expert machine operation through the entire project and also volunteering time away from the shop to make this happen
Ed K, NICA Sponsor and JORBA supporter for the amazing equipment support
BTS Landscaping, NICA sponsor & JORBA supporter, who donated two FULL days plus equipment and the entire crew, to help clear the corridor

Countless others who supported these folks on the ground during the initial push. I am so hesitant to start naming folks for fear of missing someone, and the project is not yet completed, but I could not start without first recognizing this group who have volunteered their valuable time!

Last edited:
Thought i'd add some pics here. This trail was pre-flagged for us before we arrived but that was a few years back so even finding the flagged route was a challenge. We were working on ridgelines for much of this route and fighting our way through Russian olive (look at the 2nd pic) and working on wildly varying soil. We used two mini-x machines and cut in a wide corridor. The consideration here was that this trail was to be used for a NICA race course. Think 6th grader friendly. It's a unique location and as of yesterday it has been inspected and approved and embraced by the park superintendent.

I'm excited to get a big group out to hand finish this route. Jesse and I have each put some serious time into this (read: Not in shop working and making $) one and with the help of @KenS we have been able to knock out just short of a mile of new trail in less than 20 days. There is still much to do here and those who show up on NOV 5th have a opportunity to make an impact on how this trail will ride for a long time.

I'd also like to thank those who came out and helped do the grunt work up till now. You know who you are and I love you for your willingness to show up on my typical, limited notice timeline.

Please consider coming out on Nov 5th

IMG_4560.jpeg
IMG_4561.jpeg
IMG_4549.jpeg
IMG_4550.jpeg
IMG_4471.jpeg
IMG_4322.jpeg
IMG_4282.jpeg
IMG_2082.jpeg
IMG_2095.jpeg

IMG_4562.jpeg

Last edited:
Yikes. I wonder if the park would want the russian olive to be cut back more. I despise that invasive crap.

Recent work
If only I had been allowed to use power tools…

Attachments

• 89C2C7DD-7F01-45A1-997E-D26E00A97C4F.jpeg
    89C2C7DD-7F01-45A1-997E-D26E00A97C4F.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 19E254E0-852C-48E0-BE13-10A927FA0FE5.jpeg
    19E254E0-852C-48E0-BE13-10A927FA0FE5.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 88

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions