What have you done to your bike today?

Not today, Friday night I took on the Mukluk long overdue rollback to 26” fat tires and some cleanup in preparation for GFBD 2023.

Wheels swap, using some ultralight tubes from eBay, worked out great.

Drivetrain adjustment woes, the cassette on the fatback hub that came with my 26” wheels is even further back toward the hub center than on the Hope Fatso…so recycled a Hope spacer and it fit perfectly. No more adjusting the derailleur when swapping wheels.

Left the crusty chain alone, will replace after getting even more crunchiness added during the beach ride. In hind side, very happy I did ( or didn’t do) that.

The doozy…I removed some of the heli tape a hastily installed on the bike when I first built it with less than exciting results. Then I decided to replace the aluminum screws that Salsa used all over the frame and fork and broke one of the ones on the fork. I’m still in shock that I was actually able to drill the broken screw off and remove its remnants without cracking the frame…
Rule #6
Never wrench on your bike the night before a big ride.

Glad it all worked out.

Delaced the wheel I recently cracked in preperation for a wheel rebuild with a fresh rim.

Upgraded the airshaft in my Pike fork to a longer debonair spring. increased travel by 20mm. Hoping it allows me to run a 27.5 x 2.6 up front on my status (instead of 29) while preserving stock geo.

Swapped out the stock bars on my daughters xc bike for a set of salsa carbon bars from one of my bikes that were too narrow for me, and swapped her generic shimano brakes for an older set of XT brakes I had on hand. Her little XC hardtail is finally setup pretty nicely, but now I’m debating whether I should put her on something more modern with 29” wheels.

Delaced the wheel I recently cracked in preperation for a wheel rebuild with a fresh rim.

Upgraded the airshaft in my Pike fork to a longer debonair spring. increased travel by 20mm. Hoping it allows me to run a 27.5 x 2.6 up front on my status (instead of 29) while preserving stock geo.

Swapped out the stock bars on my daughters xc bike for a set of salsa carbon bars from one of my bikes that were too narrow for me, and swapped her generic shimano brakes for an older set of XT brakes I had on hand. Her little XC hardtail is finally setup pretty nicely, but now I’m debating whether I should put her on something more modern with 29” wheels.
How tall is she?

How tall is she?
She’s only 5’2”. I have her on an older size small Scott Scale with 27.5” wheels. I think small is the right size for her. Technically she should be on the lower end of a size small going off of manufacturer size charts, but on the bike she looks bigger than 5’2”. She has longer arms and legs so I guess thats why. I just wonder if 29” wheels would be an advantage for her for xc racing.

Swapped the big boy bars back on my DJ this afternoon. I had it setup for my daughter to use on the BMX track but seasons over so I get to claim my bike back…for a fee months anyway 🤣

Man what a difference a set of bars can make for bike fit!

Attachments

• IMG_9909.jpeg
    IMG_9909.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9910.jpeg
    IMG_9910.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom