What water bottle cage do you use?

Not the most attractive cage but it seems to get great reviews.
greta-how-dare-you.gif

Whatever the plastic Specialized one is. Had them on several bikes since like 2009 and never lost a bottle.

Throwing in a Fidlock vote. Easy to remove with a quick twist, snaps right back into the small space between my shock and frame without any fuss.

FIDLOCK Twist Bottle 600 Set- Bike Water Bottle Holder with Attached Bottle - Cage Free Magnetic Mount https://a.co/d/6B1C0TB

Arundel Looney Bin
I have one of these on the Megatower. So far, has not lost a bottle when doing bike park laps. It's nice having a bottle to drink from on the lift ride. Also have one on the Chameleon - because hardtail. Some sort of side-entry cage on the Spot.

King Ti cages all break at the tube weld. The same with silca ti cages. The reason for this is that they do not purge the material when they weld it. I use specialized Ribcage three and have not dropped one bottle ever I use the carbon version.
Well, for a manufacturer, that's a bit sad. I do have a Spec Zee cage on another bike that has never lost a bottle and comes in LH/RH entry.

King Ti cages all break at the tube weld. The same with silca ti cages. The reason for this is that they do not purge the material when they weld it. I use specialized Ribcage three and have not dropped one bottle ever I use the carbon version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all that would require is a procedural change: heat the tubing, blow through inert gas, and keep the weld at the top until you're done welding?

I've only done brass brazing, so you just exhaust up from the join to push air away from it. It's supposed to be the same here? Or more like closing vent holes with silver afterwards?

Haven't used a water bottle on my MTB in like 20yrs, but when I did, it was the cheapest aluminum or stainless thing available, usually a Blackburn. Everything these days fits in my fanny pack. On my road bike, its some light carbon fiber cage that I'd never put on an mtb because it would break in one ride.

Last edited:
Anyone ever use the wolf tooth ti? They look like the king ti but they have some colors

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all that would require is a procedural change: heat the tubing, blow through inert gas, and keep the weld at the top until you're done welding?

I've only done brass brazing, so you just exhaust up from the join to push air away from it. It's supposed to be the same here? Or more like closing vent holes with silver afterwards?
Oddly enough Silca has a video where they show how the cages are made. It's kind of comical as it's basically someone bending a tube with a tube bender on a jig so it comes out the same each time. Pretty low-tech.

I'm not sure what purging the tube will really help with. Shouldn't it be done in a chamber since it's the metal plate being welded to the tube that's the issue?

Yes, probably not cost effective. The hard part is the size of the tubing. You would need to purge through two pinholes and weld up afterwards. The pressure builds ip superfast and can spit back out and contaminate tungsten and weld.

Oddly enough Silca has a video where they show how the cages are made. It's kind of comical as it's basically someone bending a tube with a tube bender on a jig so it comes out the same each time. Pretty low-tech.

I'm not sure what purging the tube will really help with. Shouldn't it be done in a chamber since it's the metal plate being welded to the tube that's the issue?
Ti needs to be purged on the i side or the metal turns to garbage. They still hold together by design but almost always break at the weld.

Ordered a N+1 side entry bottle only to find out it will not fit. Mounting bolts are too close together 🤏

EDIT: stupid adjustable mounting tab was missing from the box. Bought from amazon

Last edited:
Ordered a N+1 side entry bottle only to find out it will not fit. Mounting bolts are too close together 🤏

every bike i have ever owned the mounting bolts for bottle cages have been identical

Back
Top Bottom