WTB truck

My son bought a Jeep Wrangler, that cured me of wanting one myself.
I was telling this story to @Carson .....When I was a kid my dad used to repair all of the local post office's mail jeeps at his shop.....They were about the WORST vehicles in existence. After he fixed one he would often let me ride on the mail tray as he test drove it.....and goddam the noise, the rattling, they were like a torture chamber. Driving this 06 LJ last week...brought me RIGHT BACK to riding in that mail tray in the 80s. Which for 3, 4, $5000 ok....but jeeps cost a fortune!

Which for 3, 4, $5000 ok....but jeeps cost a fortune!
I hope so, with kid buying truck I now have his xj to unload. Browsing the webs says he gained on this jeep. One thing for sure they haven't sold an xj since 2001 yet there are a ton still rolling around. Those straight six motors were AMC best originally built for farm tractors but boy are they gas hogs.

When I do get a new truck it should be something like the last few Fords posted above. Lincoln would work too if I can find a good deal. Guy staying in the house next to us down the shore a couple weeks ago had a sweet Lincoln pick up, ‘06 Mark LT with 45,000 miles he just scored.

FB deals go quick, the overpriced clapped out crap stays up forever. My buddy came across an ‘05 Blazer ZR2 with 55,000 miles for $4,000 and I went to look at it with him(after looking at half a dozen pieces of junk). The thing was beautiful, no rust and garage kept, he was looking for a good one for at least a year on FB everyday. The post was minutes old.

mule-e1544996789415.jpg

I like his Jeep running it around local (‘99 TJ with the L6, unmolested Wrangler Sport) but I don’t want to drive it on the highway again.

My wife had an AMC Concord when I met her, same engine. The car literally rotted out around that engine but never stopped running great. That car was handed down from her dad, brother, both sisters and finally she got it.

tuff to kill a domestic L6, even if it is a Heep.
Ford 300
Chev 250
AMC
Slant 6 Mopar 225

At my college, back last century, every year we always drained an old vehicle of all fluids and bet on how long it would run till seize. For charity.
I was/you'd be amazed. That Dodge would even get you home from the bar.

I hope so, with kid buying truck I now have his xj to unload. Browsing the webs says he gained on this jeep. One thing for sure they haven't sold an xj since 2001 yet there are a ton still rolling around. Those straight six motors were AMC best originally built for farm tractors but boy are they gas hogs.
I like his Jeep running it around local (‘99 TJ with the L6, unmolested Wrangler Sport) but I don’t want to drive it on the highway again.

My wife had an AMC Concord when I met her, same engine. The car literally rotted out around that engine but never stopped running great. That car was handed down from her dad, brother, both sisters and finally she got it.
tuff to kill a domestic L6, even if it is a Heep.
Ford 300
Chev 250
AMC
Slant 6 Mopar 225

At my college, back last century, every year we always drained an old vehicle of all fluids and bet on how long it would run till seize. For charity.
I was/you'd be amazed. That Dodge would even get you home from the bar.
It is/was a great engine with regards to reliability.....pretty much bulletproof...and even if you do kill it, you can go to the junkyard and get another one for like $8. That said, driving it....they sounded terrible, kinda dead (especially with an automatic), and drank a ton of fuel. But bulletproof, yes. Best thing chrysler did when they came along was to put the 318 into vehicles like the grand cherokee, much better engine.

I can understand why people like jeeps, I cannot explain why people PAY what they do for a 100% parts bin vehicle that drives like my 9 year old built it with his lego kit. But whatever, $50,000....$70,000 sure, no problem.

So I was looking around at f150s....nice part is that there seems to be a shit ton of them out there used. I didnt really notice this about FB marketplace until I started looking at f150s...im assuming that there is just an ARMY of people out there who got their dealer's license.....go to auctions and try to buy any f150 over 150,000 miles or anything that the good dealers cant sell for 25-30k....Salvage titles, etc.
Depends on what kind of buyer you are. If you're not looking for bargain basement prices and want relatively new (off-lease) vehicles with no shenanigans and willing to pay a little more then checkout autolenders.com.
I did check this out....some nice vehicles, but ya you are paying full retail....and off lease isnt such a great thing....I dont have much confidence in people leasing cars and making any attempt to care for them :)

I loved AMC. Had a '73 CJ5 with the 304 V8 in high school, followed by my grandmother's Ambassador Brougham 2-door all through my college years. The Ambassador had a replacement 360 a friend built for his Javelin street racer. It lost a lot with the auto trans but I really enjoyed both vehicles with their idiosyncrasies. Today I would not touch an American vehicle with a stick.

I loved AMC. Had a '73 CJ5 with the 304 V8 in high school, followed by my grandmother's Ambassador Brougham 2-door all through my college years. The Ambassador had a replacement 360 a friend built for his Javelin street racer. It lost a lot with the auto trans but I really enjoyed both vehicles with their idiosyncrasies. Today I would not touch an American vehicle with a stick.
I liked old AMCs too because they were weird....my mom had an AMC eagle when I was a kid (which was ALWAYS broken)....But I was just thinking...if an AMC was your last American car experience, no wonder why you left and never came back lol.

I liked old AMCs too because they were weird....my mom had an AMC eagle when I was a kid (which was ALWAYS broken)....But I was just thinking...if an AMC was your last American car experience, no wonder why you left and never came back lol.
Nah, I’d still buy a ~pre-1977 American car, especially the 1960’s, just that nothing modern is worth my money.

Driven a couple 10yr old f150s, both ecoboosts...not bad....certainly much more livable than something like a jeep. as @GSTim mentioned....wading thru the GARBAGE out there is tricky....sometimes entertaining. I thought I would share this one....It was older, 47k miles which was a huge red flag..I mean these dealers by cars at auctions and nothing this old with 47k is going to an auction unless it was junked at one point...but I figured id message the guy for the hell of it....it was on FB market place and he sent me to their website.
1694612866700.png
1694612935838.png

Right off the bat, the ford badge being totally faded, paint looking inconsistent was like a dead giveaway that this thing had been sitting outside for a while

So I message the guy and ask him for some info....who owned, vin #, some pics of underneath. He just gets back to me with: one owner, frame is good, clean title.....wont send me any pics, but does send me the VIN #.....so I did a little internetting and I found where it was sold at an auction....here is what the frame looked like at the auction

1694613301770.png

lol...frame is literally broken in half...

Anyway, so I message the guy back and say....so um, im assuming you guys "fixed" the frame that was broken in half? And how are you saying this thing has a clean title when it was obviously sold as salvage.

So his response was that in mass. anything old than 10 years old gets a clean title and that they guy replaced the frame with a new one. omg, lol.....Sadly someone will by this turd.

Driven a couple 10yr old f150s, both ecoboosts...not bad....certainly much more livable than something like a jeep. as @GSTim mentioned....wading thru the GARBAGE out there is tricky....sometimes entertaining. I thought I would share this one....It was older, 47k miles which was a huge red flag..I mean these dealers by cars at auctions and nothing this old with 47k is going to an auction unless it was junked at one point...but I figured id message the guy for the hell of it....it was on FB market place and he sent me to their website.
View attachment 222906
View attachment 222907

Right off the bat, the ford badge being totally faded, paint looking inconsistent was like a dead giveaway that this thing had been sitting outside for a while

So I message the guy and ask him for some info....who owned, vin #, some pics of underneath. He just gets back to me with: one owner, frame is good, clean title.....wont send me any pics, but does send me the VIN #.....so I did a little internetting and I found where it was sold at an auction....here is what the frame looked like at the auction

View attachment 222908

Anyway, so I message the guy back and say....so um, im assuming you guys "fixed" the frame that was broken in half? And how are you saying this thing has a clean title when it was obviously sold as salvage.

So his response was that in mass. anything old than 10 years old gets a clean title and that they guy replaced the frame with a new one. omg, lol.....Sadly someone will by this turd.
Someone who doesnt know any better will buy it, unfortunately.

View attachment 222906
View attachment 222907

View attachment 222908

the REAL scary part is your probably driving down 80 at 90+ being passed by something in worse shape than this. and since NJ only cares about emissions inspections noone is obligated to fix it to keep their car on the road, as long as that computer says its all good your off to the races :O

A genuine question: Which states these days are doing in-depth/thorough motor vehicle inspections?
Pa. Believe it or not, you have to take your car to a state inspection garage which is just about every auto garage in the state. Trust me they comb through everything. I hated it when we lived there, NJ was a pain with lines but in and out.

Thats funny....didnt realize PA still does this

Regardless of whether an exempt farm vehicle is subject to periodic inspection, the following minimum safety requirements and equipment must be met while operating on public roads:

• Rear reflectors, headlamps, functional stop lamps (brake lights)
  • Adequate braking system
  • Tires in safe operating condition
  • Rear wheel shields to bar substances from being thrown from the rear wheels at tangents exceeding 22.5 degrees from the road surface
  • Rear view mirror
  • Horn
  • Functional exhaust and muffler system

the REAL scary part is your probably driving down 80 at 90+ being passed by something in worse shape than this. and since NJ only cares about emissions inspections noone is obligated to fix it to keep their car on the road, as long as that computer says its all good your off to the races :O
Eh...to a MILD extent I agree with you....for example my toyota t100 was in REAL danger of breaking in half...(because fucking garbage toyota metal) and it passed inspection....I took it thru once after the muffler broke off and it only had a cat on it....passed. But in reality, most people arent driving old shitboxes anymore and usually the emission systems fail before the car is a total rust bucket. Bad tires...yes, people dont seem to give a crap about that. But I think for the most part, its alot of added money the state was spending (or we were spending if we went to a private place) for not a whole lot of benefit over emissions inspection.

Back
Top Bottom