The DIY thread - DIYourself

My glasses fell apart halway through my ride, stopped at aeroflex thinking i could find fishing line. Found some and fixed it up, a nice relief i was getting dizzy with one lens.

I saw this tip where someone wrapped electrical tape around their seat tube for later use, wrapping some fishing line could be useful too.

Attachments

• 20240503_161527.jpg
    20240503_161527.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 25
My glasses fell apart halway through my ride, stopped at aeroflex thinking i could find fishing line. Found some and fixed it up, a nice relief i was getting dizzy with one lens.

I saw this tip where someone wrapped electrical tape around their seat tube for later use, wrapping some fishing line could be useful too.

1714782531097.png

It was time for the semi annual clean out the grill maintenance the other day. Nothing really complicated but when I went to put back the gas tubes and light it they would light but flames were shooting out toward the exterior handles. !

At first I was like great maybe the gas manifold has a leak but it turns out the burner tubes probably had a layer of rust in them and when I moved them to scrape the grill, it All piled to one side blocking the gas flow.

Had to open the little cover on each with a screwdriver and dump it all out.

Now we have no more hotspots and the grill definitely seems to get hotter due to better gas flow.

IMG_6283.jpegIMG_6282.jpeg

This looks like a good time. Was like this when we first bought the house but it stopped for 2 years now its back. Water supply coming out on the right.

Attachments

• 20240505_155446.jpg
    20240505_155446.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 50
This looks like a good time. Was like this when we first bought the house but it stopped for 2 years now its back. Water supply coming out on the right.
Water tables are high
We were pretty seasonally dry the past couple years
You or neighbors deal with wet/damp basements. If your flatlander it's not uncommon.
Also where water drains away from your roof is utmost important, this is mostly everyone's problem that deals with wet basement.

heat gradient from radiant floor heat?
No radiant heat, we live on a nice slope, the front yard extends up 40ft above the bottom floor and the septic field behind is probably 4 foot below. It's not a basement. The only way i feel like i'm going to figure it out is only if it gets worse and i get a better clue.

When i first noticed it we didn't have rain for a week....

Last edited:
No radiant heat, we live on a nice slope, the front yard extends up 40ft above the bottom floor and the septic field behind is probably 4 foot below. It's not the basement. The only way i feel like i'm going to figure it out is only if it gets worse and i get a better clue.

When i first noticed it we didn't have rain for a week....

this is a reading of a floor you can look at from underneath? a slight breeze could do that.

I replaced my 8ft double fluorescent fixtures with a retrofit kit that turned them into ballast bypass single end powered double 4ft fixtures with LED bulbs. Moving everything around the garage to do so was the hardest part. The existing lights had about a 40% chance of actually lighting and now its amazing what I can see. Long overdue upgrade.

1000bulbs.com Customer Service was a huge help to get the right kits and the right bulbs and would highly recommend.

Any recommendations on getting rid of a woodpecker that comes every morning to hammer on the chimney cap?
I had a weird period of time where the woodpeckers were clinging to the side of my house and hammering the wood trim and shaker shingles. dog kept barking because it sounded like someone was knocking on my front door and running away.

After I googled it I stuck some of the tinfoil HVAC tape to random spots near where they were doing it and it stopped. I think the internet experts said the reflection of the light off the tape spooks them but I dont 100% remember.

Any recommendations on getting rid of a woodpecker that comes every morning to hammer on the chimney cap?
That's an odd place to pick, I assume it's an aluminum cap? They only do it if they suspect a potential meal. Is it a fire place or just to vent the hw or furnace? When's the last time you had the chimney and cap inspected? Could have bugs or bees somewhere

That's an odd place to pick, I assume it's an aluminum cap? They only do it if they suspect a potential meal. Is it a fire place or just to vent the hw or furnace? When's the last time you had the chimney and cap inspected? Could have bugs or bees somewhere
Apparently they do it as a mating call. The louder the better and metal is louder. The web says once it get's lucky we will be good. Somebody better swipe right soon.

Adding an interior garage door to the inside for some private space to keep my personals like, bikes, kayaks and fishing stuff, while leaving some space for a rec room and direct access to the backyard where there's an outdoor shower. Thought this would be better than a wall as it's less permanent. Though I'll need to add a structure to the bottom of the door to allow for water flow. It floods regularly into the garage so nothing valuable on the ground. I've already replaced other walls with lattice at the bottom and opened a entry through to the back. Rentals start on Memorial day, so gotta get a move on.
PXL_20240504_233501054.jpgPXL_20240504_233439915.jpgPXL_20240412_214512191.jpg

Back
Top Bottom