The 2023 lawn thread

I am aiming for a clover lawn. Up until the '60s, lawn seed was a mix of grass and clover. Clover doesn't grow fast nor high, so needs less mowing, and fixes its own nitrogen, which requires no fertilizer.
Modern lawn seed contains no clover, and weed killer kills clover. Weed and feed becomes an annual event for eternity.
My lawn now is about half clover, and I am trying to raise that percentage, resulting in a low maintenance, nice looking lawn.

you have my attention, would not mind more information.

I am aiming for a clover lawn. Up until the '60s, lawn seed was a mix of grass and clover. Clover doesn't grow fast nor high, so needs less mowing, and fixes its own nitrogen, which requires no fertilizer.
Modern lawn seed contains no clover, and weed killer kills clover. Weed and feed becomes an annual event for eternity.
My lawn now is about half clover, and I am trying to raise that percentage, resulting in a low maintenance, nice looking lawn.
I put microclover seeds down at my last house. Aside from the few weeks that the white flowers grew at the beginning of the season, my lawn was green all year. And it'd be at least 2 weeks between mowing, usually 3, sometimes 4. I've gotta find a decent price on clover seed for the new house. Micro clover is way too expensive for that big of a plot.

I've been thinking of clover too. Is micro clover the only option? I have about 3/4 acer or lawn. I'm sick to all the maintenance.

\

Ya’ll are flexing hard AF about lawn.
https://freakonomics.com/podcast/how-stupid-is-our-obsession-with-lawns/

This is the worst time of the year. It’s like you have to cut every 4-5 days. And I don’t apply anything to my lawn. It’s still quite uneven from 10+ years ago from the new septic job when we closed. I only like it because it’s my out from other home chores while being outside ha. I would like an electric push mower for the tight areas. I use an old school analog manual push mower. Analog is all the rage. Maybe we should get goats. I may be really interested in that. Anyone try that for real?

Last edited:
Ya’ll are flexing hard AF about lawn.
https://freakonomics.com/podcast/how-stupid-is-our-obsession-with-lawns/

This is the worst time of the year. It’s like you have to cut every 4-5 days. And I don’t apply anything to my lawn. It’s still quite uneven from 10+ years ago from the new septic job when we closed. I only like it because it’s my out from other home chores while being outside ha. I would like an electric push mower for the tight areas. I use an old school analog manual push mower. Analog is all the rage. Maybe we should get goats. I may be really interested in that. Anyone try that for real?
The previous owners of my house had goats in the backyard. But they were fenced in, so still had to mow the other 2.5 acres I'd imagine.

Our last house we put down microclover. It was the only thing I put down for five years, even shut down the sprinkler system for the last few years. The clover didn't need it, stayed nice and green. Mowing was every three weeks or so.
I'd love to put that down at the current house, but it's stupid expensive. Probably be at least a grand cover 3 acres.

Well Friday I wasn’t going to even cut the grass I first started out just taking up all
The branches the squirrels dumped all over the yard from the tree. Then I decided we’ll it’s nice out I might as well do the annual “shed swap” and move the snowblower to the back and start the generator to keep it running clean. At that point had the mower out so said F it and just did a first cut because it’s all uneven and patchy anyway but some spots near the house were already over grown. Skipped the line trimmer for now didn’t need it yet. I was stoked everything started up after 1-2 pulls. The free mower I am still using might need some
New belts for the AWD it felt a little sluggish.

Can’t wait for my annual dandelion garden to sprout. I’ll hit it with weed and feed this week That stuff works pretty good and made it a bit more green then brown the last 2 seasons.

3BA2B284-E562-4F42-93B6-12E23EF24C05.jpegAD467EB2-E3E2-4D44-BC82-879EAC3A172D.jpeg

Lawn (and garden) today. I don't miss cutting it. Last year was the first year I started paying to have it cut.

IMG_7636.jpg

Too bad the crab apples on the right lost their bloom so quickly. Only lasted a few days due to the spell of hot weather. First 80 degree day and they popped.

IMG_7625.jpg

Also, 2nd from the left is loose and leaning badly toward the street. Will likely fall over leaving a nice gap in the row, if I don't do something...

Went out to mow today and couldn't get the mower started. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle of fighting with a 17 year old mower every week and went on a search for a new one. I knew what model I wanted from every brand so I started calling around to see what was available locally. Only option I could get right away was bobcat. So, new mower day.
PXL_20230418_184134209.jpg
61" deck. Thing flies. Easily twice as fast as the cub. Of course they dropped it off right before I had to leave and get the kids, so I didn't get much of a chance to play with it. 0% financing for 60 months, lol. New bike day is gonna have to wait for some time.

you have my attention, would not mind more information.
I think it's the way to go, I was hoping for it last year as I had quite a few patches of clover growing, but it didn't really happen. I kind of like the white flowers too. Should probably help with a robust supply of clover seeds. I hate looking at the miserable mess of my garden, at least the barren look during the winter doesn't make it stand out compared to the neighbors'. We're currently growing dandelions, good for the bees I'm told....

Went out to mow today and couldn't get the mower started. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle of fighting with a 17 year old mower every week and went on a search for a new one. I knew what model I wanted from every brand so I started calling around to see what was available locally. Only option I could get right away was bobcat. So, new mower day.
View attachment 211829
61" deck. Thing flies. Easily twice as fast as the cub. Of course they dropped it off right before I had to leave and get the kids, so I didn't get much of a chance to play with it. 0% financing for 60 months, lol. New bike day is gonna have to wait for some time.

i think they are rated over 2 acres per hour.....congrats.
i see the dork chute is still there :D
Mine was metal - sheared it right off....

Back
Top Bottom