The 2023 lawn thread

You should dig out some dirt on the post side. also any trees near the posts side? Nothing better than another tree as anchor
Good idea to dig out some dirt on the post side. It is a bit mounded there. Heaved up from the roots pushing up, i guess. No trees close on the post side, unfortunately.

How much area do you mow? This tractor has a six foot belly mower, and tows a five foot offset Swisher mower, cutting around an 11 foot swath.
With all due respect, if the kubota breaks and/or you decide to upgrade, please keep me in mind if you sell it. Got screwed on a B2400 today, so still looking for a tractor preferably with a loader.

With all due respect, if the kubota breaks and/or you decide to upgrade, please keep me in mind if you sell it. Got screwed on a B2400 today, so still looking for a tractor preferably with a loader.
Used tractors command crazy resale prices now. Newer tractors require dealer programming for service, driving up the price of used units we can fix ourselves. I also have this Kubota B2100. I will keep you in mind should I thin the herd.

Attachments

• PXL_20210403_182504709.jpg
    PXL_20210403_182504709.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
It's supposed to rain for a couple days, so I threw down what was left of my grass/micro clover seed mixture on some of the more bare spots of the front yard.

Reactions: SAM
Update on previous tree straightening post:

Been tightening the straps a few clicks every few days. With all the rain the ground is soft and it's a good time to straighten the tree even more. But, there was so much rain over the weekend, I was afraid the T-posts might pull out. Also, thought they might bend. So, I pounded two more in. Ground so wet, they went in like buttah. Added the other two straps I had and now have twice the power. Almost there.

IMG_7783.jpg
IMG_7786.jpg

Update on previous tree straightening post:

Been tightening the straps a few clicks every few days. With all the rain the ground is soft and it's a good time to straighten the tree even more. But, there was so much rain over the weekend, I was afraid the T-posts might pull out. Also, thought they might bend. So, I pounded two more in. Ground so wet, they went in like buttah. Added the other two straps I had and now have twice the power. Almost there.

View attachment 212839
View attachment 212840
Nice job, I hate seeing fallen trees when they can be saved.

Reactions: SAM
My dog destroyed my yard over the winter. So I started with this on April 8:

AC689E93-9F22-4CCF-9C18-6AE7DA54C48C.jpeg
Used a bunch of topsoil and seed and now we are here May 8:
E887D006-605C-4BE1-AAE2-F8DEA0A3604E.jpeg
I cut it this past weekend. I need to re-do some spots that are still bare and there is some clover but all in all I’m pretty happy so far.

i broke down and did my first mow today. Front yard was overdue but back yard coulda went another week but figured better to have them even. Year 2 with my self-propelled walk-behind EGO for my 1/2 acre plot and no complaints so far. Was nice to not have to get gas and fight with a pull cord to get started.
Was talking to @soundz today how I've gone all-in on EGO equipment.

I bought the self-propelled mower and find myself just pushing it unless there's a hill. I don't even mind the hill but for some reason the angle/material/etc of the handlebar hurts if I'm putting lots of pressure on it up a hill.

Not sure if it was this thread but it came highly recommended and it's so easy to deal with.

Pole saw and weed wacker are easy to use and don't have to worry about 2-stroke nonsense. Ordered the chainsaw today...

All started because I needed a simple leaf blower last year...

Was talking to @soundz today how I've gone all-in on EGO equipment.

I bought the self-propelled mower and find myself just pushing it unless there's a hill. I don't even mind the hill but for some reason the angle/material/etc of the handlebar hurts if I'm putting lots of pressure on it up a hill.

Not sure if it was this thread but it came highly recommended and it's so easy to deal with.

Pole saw and weed wacker are easy to use and don't have to worry about 2-stroke nonsense. Ordered the chainsaw today...

All started because I needed a simple leaf blower last year...
I wish the commercial grade electric zero turns were cheaper. But seems like they're $20k+ for the equivalent of a sub $10k gas zero turn. So I went with gas for my mower.
Everything thing else I converted to electric though. I sold all my 2-stroke echo stuff and replaced it with Milwaukee. So far I've got the power head with extension, weed wacker, pole saw, brush cutter, and articulating hedger attachments. The blower, regular hedger, chainsaw, and mini chainsaw. I think that's it. So much easier than messing with gas, and the power seems pretty comparable.

I wish the commercial grade electric zero turns were cheaper. But seems like they're $20k+ for the equivalent of a sub $10k gas zero turn. So I went with gas for my mower.
Everything thing else I converted to electric though. I sold all my 2-stroke echo stuff and replaced it with Milwaukee. So far I've got the power head with extension, weed wacker, pole saw, brush cutter, and articulating hedger attachments. The blower, regular hedger, chainsaw, and mini chainsaw. I think that's it. So much easier than messing with gas, and the power seems pretty comparable.
What also scares me about a zero turn is you're probably going to need to buy a bunch of batteries at some point. There's no way you aren't going to eat through batteries with a heavy mower and a person on top.

The other day I was actually using my leaf blower and had to stop and go inside as there was a woman with a backpack gas blower down the street and it was ridiculously loud.

and replaced it with Milwaukee. So far I've got the power head with extension, weed wacker, pole saw, brush cutter, and articulating hedger attachments. The blower, regular hedger, chainsaw, and mini chainsaw. I think that's it. So much easier than messing with gas, and the power seems pretty comparable.

So, what’s that, all in?

Maybe it's me, but I don't get the noise pollution from mowers, blowers and saws. I have 4 neighbors adjacent to me and they all have lawn services but none bothers me even during meetings. It's only 20-30 mins a week times four. Will keep my reliable Redmax 8000 series till it dies.

So, what’s that, all in?
This is what I paid for everything. Pre-tax prices. Also forgot about the edger attachment, added that to the list.

Trimmer kit with 8ah and charger: 2825-21st $199
Edger: 49-16-2718 $99
Pole saw: 49-16-2720 $20
Brush cutter: 49-16-2738 $150
Articulating hedger: 49-16-2719 $152
Extension: 49-16-2721 $69
Hedger: 2726-20 $97
Blower: 2724-20 $90
Chainsaw with 12ah and charger: 2727-21hd $326
M12 hatchet (mini chainsaw) 2527-20, 1.5ah, 4ah, and charger $260 (the hatchet also came with the M12 fuel impact driver and hammer drill included with that price)

So, $1462.

What also scares me about a zero turn is you're probably going to need to buy a bunch of batteries at some point. There's no way you aren't going to eat through batteries with a heavy mower and a person on top.

The other day I was actually using my leaf blower and had to stop and go inside as there was a woman with a backpack gas blower down the street and it was ridiculously loud.
Yea, the electric zero turns from the box stores like home Depot don't really have enough battery to cover my entire yard. And they're smaller and slower than gas of the same price. The commercial ones are meant to run for 7 or 8 hours per charge, so I'd imagine they would last quite a few years before I ever had to worry about replacement, but they come with a ridiculous price tag.
I also hate those back pack blowers. I don't hear them much anymore but at my last house it seemed I was constantly hearing them. Now I only have one close neighbor that hires a landscaper, so it's not nearly as often.

Why the adversion to gas?

Back
Top Bottom