The 2023 lawn thread

Why the adversion to gas?
Electric is cleaner, quieter, easier. No gas cans to fill up, no maintenance, cheaper operation. It's just a more pleasant experience.
I actually love my new gas mower. Thing is a beast. I'm not crazy about the future time spent on maintenance of it, but it also mows the lawn much faster than a comparatively priced electric mower, so the time spent on maintenance will surely be negated.

Electric is cleaner, quieter, easier. No gas cans to fill up, no maintenance, cheaper operation. It's just a more pleasant experience.
I actually love my new gas mower. Thing is a beast. I'm not crazy about the future time spent on maintenance of it, but it also mows the lawn much faster than a comparatively priced electric mower, so the time spent on maintenance will surely be negated.
No maintenance? You and I seem to be non commercial, I'm 7 years on my Toro, I have changed oil and did a fuel and air filter this year. Before that I did hydro fluid and filters and sharpened blades, you have to do that on electric too. Replacement batteries would cost way more than I put into my mower in 7 years. I am not adverse to all battery products, I have a hedge trimmer, but that is just because it was cheaper due to having DeWalt batteries already. I have always had great luck with gas products starting year after year.
Sorry, don't mean to take it out on you, but do lithium batteries just come from nature with no impact?

Sorry... 🫣

No maintenance? You and I seem to be non commercial, I'm 7 years on my Toro, I have changed oil and did a fuel and air filter this year. Before that I did hydro fluid and filters and sharpened blades, you have to do that on electric too. Replacement batteries would cost way more than I put into my mower in 7 years. I am not adverse to all battery products, I have a hedge trimmer, but that is just because it was cheaper due to having DeWalt batteries already. I have always had great luck with gas products starting year after year.
Sorry, don't mean to take it out on you, but do lithium batteries just come from nature with no impact?

Sorry... 🫣
Sure, you have to sharpen blades, but I don't think all electric mowers are using hydro transmissions. Don't think there's any oil to change. Are batteries greener? I would think so, but that never really factored into the decision for me. And even if a 7 hour battery lost 50% of it's capacity, it'd still me more than adequate for my purposes. But I'm not spending $20k+ on an electric mower, so it doesn't really matter, lol. Ryobi has what appears to be the best residential electric zero turn. With a 54" deck, a supposed 4 acre run time, and 8mph top speed. For just a little more than the price of that mower, I got a commercial grade gas mower with a 61" deck, 10mph top speed, and unlimited runtime. So for me, electric just isn't there yet, not for my use or budget anyway.
For the rest of the stuff? I'll never go back to gas. And same thing with the batteries, I've got so many M18 and M12 batteries that there's some still in the packaging. I've got more than I can use. I've only ever bought batteries when they come as part of a deal with a tool that I want/need.

This is the electric mower I'd want 🤣. Only maintenance is greasing the caster wheels and sharpening the blades. 16mph with full cut speed and the blades don't bog down in overgrown grass. You'd have to spend almost as much on a gas mower to compete with those specs, but I'm not rich enough for this thing.

Maybe it's me, but I don't get the noise pollution from mowers, blowers and saws. I have 4 neighbors adjacent to me and they all have lawn services but none bothers me even during meetings. It's only 20-30 mins a week times four. Will keep my reliable Redmax 8000 series till it dies.
You're more than welcome to stop by my house this evening and experience a solid 1.5-2hrs of my OCD neighbor doing his thing with his lawn equipment. He has much less lawn than I have and takes 2x longer.

Cuts with a bag, blows, edges then blows again to get all clipping that didn't go in the bag off the lawn. It's so annoying, we leave the house.

This is what I paid for everything. Pre-tax prices. Also forgot about the edger attachment, added that to the list.

Trimmer kit with 8ah and charger: 2825-21st $199
Edger: 49-16-2718 $99
Pole saw: 49-16-2720 $20
Brush cutter: 49-16-2738 $150
Articulating hedger: 49-16-2719 $152
Extension: 49-16-2721 $69
Hedger: 2726-20 $97
Blower: 2724-20 $90
Chainsaw with 12ah and charger: 2727-21hd $326
M12 hatchet (mini chainsaw) 2527-20, 1.5ah, 4ah, and charger $260 (the hatchet also came with the M12 fuel impact driver and hammer drill included with that price)

So, $1462.

This should last at least 5-7 years, right? Maybe changeout the batteries at that point...
No gas or oil to buy. I'm slowly convincing myself.

Maybe when the weedwacker quits.

This should last at least 5-7 years, right? Maybe changeout the batteries at that point...
No gas or oil to buy. I'm slowly convincing myself.

Maybe when the weedwacker quits.
The prices have gone up recently, and I've hardly ever paid MSRP for this stuff, so keep that in mind. You just need to keep your eyes open for the discounts. Home Depot is where I got most of it, usually when they have a buy this tool, get this battery/tool for free deal. Buying that deal discounts both products the same amount, then you just return what you don't need. Some are glitches, like the pole saw, my brother in law found it on the home Depot website for $25. He bought 8 and gave me a couple. The price was off the website within an hour. I sold one for $75 and kept the other, so I actually made $25 for getting the pole saw, lol. Depot also has an online 'deal of the day' section that sometimes has great deals. Lawn equipment is on there at least once every week or two. Right now there's a 'buy more save more' promo on some of the lawn stuff, so if you spend $550 they'll take off $175, which takes most things down about 30%. Acme and Max Tool run promos too. I think my hatchet with the batteries, impact driver, and hammer drill came from Max tool, that was a great discount.

I don't know what weed Wacker you have, but I pretty much broke even when I sold the gas stuff and bought electric.

You're more than welcome to stop by my house this evening and experience a solid 1.5-2hrs of my OCD neighbor doing his thing with his lawn equipment. He has much less lawn than I have and takes 2x longer.

Cuts with a bag, blows, edges then blows again to get all clipping that didn't go in the bag off the lawn. It's so annoying, we leave the house.

Yup. Multiple neighbors/landscaping crews like that in my neighborhood. Feels like nearly every nice day/evening is ruined by the racket. It's completely insane that this is something that we all just learn to accept.

I have never considered moving to electric stuff but I could probably get away with it pretty easily. I don’t have anywhere near riding mower size grass to mow although for fun I one time thought about one of those smaller ride on mowers but I would have no where to store it.

The curb find AWD Mower I snagged 3 years ago still running strong and 2 seasons ago I bought a like new used leaf blower because matchy matchy.

For the record I try not to mow at dinner time or before 11am on weekends. Well weekends I am out riding in the mornings anyway because priorities. 🤪

957AF7E0-952F-4D12-9AD5-F8359AD8143E.jpeg

well, the weedwacker is feeling seizy, (on cue I might add,) and I realized I have a 40V polesaw I’ve been pretty happy with.We giving the Kobalt a shot. Will report back.

PXL_20230531_001236255.MP.jpgProgress report on the clover take-over. Here is three weeks without mowing. The clover heads are in bloom and starting to self-seed the yard. Grasses are also producing seeds, which will self-seed as well.
The weather has been great for this. Clover is drought resistant, and the lack of rain has kept the grass from getting too thick.
Once the clover heads turn brown I will mow. This is the easiest way to re-seed nine acres.

View attachment 214663Progress report on the clover take-over. Here is three weeks without mowing. The clover heads are in bloom and starting to self-seed the yard. Grasses are also producing seeds, which will self-seed as well.
The weather has been great for this. Clover is drought resistant, and the lack of rain has kept the grass from getting too thick.
Once the clover heads turn brown I will mow. This is the easiest way to re-seed nine acres.
Far from being 9 acres but I'm experiencing the same thing on my property, with clover taking over most of the front yard (the more exposed to the sun than the back). Is it normal to have a random purple flower among the vast majority of white ones? They appear to be clover, just a different color. Also, I've only mowed the grass twice so far and it's not as tall as usual. Fingers crossed.

My lawn is 80% moss & clover. If I could get the 20% grass to go away and fill in with more moss or clover I'd be really happy.

I made the mistake of throwing grass seeds the prior owners left when I patched some holes and now have round spots of high grass I have to always mow.

100% sold on the electric mower. I'll routinely just grab it and mow a section for 5 minutes if I'm outside and need to kill a few minutes. So much easier than gas.

100% sold on the electric mower. I'll routinely just grab it and mow a section for 5 minutes if I'm outside and need to kill a few minutes. So much easier than gas.

I really need to pull the trigger on one. I'd just prefer to keep all the same battery ecosystem (MIlwaukee) and their version is double the price of an Ego WITH batteries.

Reactions: SAM
Back
Top Bottom