Biggest loser

So, I fired up the old calorie counter today. My biggest problem is overeating. If something tastes good, I just keep going, until it's gone. Hopefully I can make it stick, finally.
Since we all support each other here and as a former fat guy couch potato I always offer this Simple suggestion (if I may).

Try thinking about whenever you are hungry to drink some water. Get an insulated cup and make it your business to carry it around with you. Feel like some chips , drink a few ounces of water. Candy bowl calling? Drink some water.

I remember reading most times we think we are hungry we are actually thirsty. Aim for at least 64 oz of water per day.

Yes you gotta pee a lot but it will totally curb the Hungry feeling when you sit down to eat.

This cup comes with me pretty much everywhere I go. Sitting in the recliner right now and it’s half empty.

Hope that helps. Small changes in habits will bring the long term results. Focus on the habits not the scale it will come along.

image.jpg

Anyone on here monitoring their protein levels?

In and around bike rides I eat a huge portion of my daily carb in take. When im off the bike im generally protein and some fats.
I don’t manage or Monitor calories or protein etc for a while now.

But when it does come time to prepare for an event or a long weekend ride , usuallly around Middle of the week I ramp up the carbs and salt intake and the last 2 days prior I don’t have any red meat it takes too long to digest. I stick with chicken rice pasta and maybe some veggies like one of those steamed mix bags you can microwave. And of course I am hydrating extra 24-48 hours before without bloating myself.

I drink at least a gallon of water per day, 32oz as soon as I wake up. Usually have 1/2 gal before I leave for work. Water and coffee gets me to my eating window. Try to have the gallon in by 7pm to avoid getting up during the night.

No calorie counting is awesome. Protein, veggies, and healthy fat every meal. Fruit with almost every meal. Carbs (rice, oatmeal or sweet potato) with 1st meal only.

Since we all support each other here and as a former fat guy couch potato I always offer this Simple suggestion (if I may).

Try thinking about whenever you are hungry to drink some water. Get an insulated cup and make it your business to carry it around with you. Feel like some chips , drink a few ounces of water. Candy bowl calling? Drink some water.

I remember reading most times we think we are hungry we are actually thirsty. Aim for at least 64 oz of water per day.

Yes you gotta pee a lot but it will totally curb the Hungry feeling when you sit down to eat.

This cup comes with me pretty much everywhere I go. Sitting in the recliner right now and it’s half empty.

Hope that helps. Small changes in habits will bring the long term results. Focus on the habits not the scale it will come along.

View attachment 211339
I got the water situation down
PXL_20230412_110806665.jpg

The 64oz goes with me everywhere and gets filled at least twice a day. The 30oz is usually what I use around the house for water. And the small 20oz is for coffee. I probably average 1.5-2 gallons a day. Even got the good reverse osmosis stuff on tap, lol.
PXL_20230412_111751147.jpg

Behind the water jugs are my sprouts. I've recently brought them back into the mix. Each mason jar makes a half gallon of sprouts from 1/3 cup of seeds in about 5 days. They were pretty instrumental in getting me down to the low 160s. Back then, I'd have 8 jars going all the time and would snack on them throughout the day instead of junk, along with a huge sprout salad for lunch or dinner. I'm back to having the salad everyday, but it's gonna take some time before I enjoy them as a snack again.

Happy Friday.

Wasn't sure how this week would turn out. Between Easter and visiting my dad, I had some bigger meals. Even got my dad to try Vietnamese food! My IF window shifted a little too since I am off from school.

Lots of riding this week taking full advantage of the time off and beautiful weather. No CrossFit or lifting.

Down almost 2 lbs (1.8). Happy with that since last week I was up. Going back to school Monday will readjust IF window, back to CrossFit with riding when I can/weather allows.

E2M program R8W6D1

Diet
Tried to stay on plan this past week. Started out fine, but as the week progressed, not so fine. Some Tonewood was left over from the race supply, so 1 or 2 here and there. In addition to Easter candy starting to appear. Wed evening the plan was to sit on the patio before dinner, however, our OCD lawn cutting neighbor decided to fire up the engines, so we basically ran to the local for some adult beverages, I did have a salad with chicken and broccoli to go with my Focal Banger. Weekend included some chocolate cake and ice cream.

Exercise
Took off Monday, day after the race. Did all the circuits and extra credit on T/W/F, spin bike or a run as warm-up. Easy spin Th and a mtb road ride on Sat. Spent F/S/Su painting 1 of the bathrooms in the house. I'm pretty sore from contorting myself many different ways to get around the door, vanity, medicine cabinet, light sconces and the toilet. That included taping, caulking, priming, trim and walls. Why does it feel like the smaller the room, the longer the project time. 5k this coming weekend in Cape May at Willow Creek Winery. Also planning dawn patrol rides T/Th instead of the spin bike from now on.

Weight
1/2/22 Starting weight = 235.4
4/10/23 current weight =185.8
Diff: weekly up 3.6, total lost = 49.6
No big deal with the increase. I know why. Beer, ice cream, chocolate cake and excess snacking all added up. I was hungrier this week and found myself snacking due to boredom at work. It's hard to maintain.
E2M program R8W6D6

Diet
Did well this week. Still sneaking in a snack here and there. Waited until Fri evening to have two beers while patio sitting. No celebration meal yet, leaving that until Sunday afternoon when the family celebrates my dad turning 81. So cake and ice cream will be had.

Exercise
30min dawn patrol runs as a warm-up for the circuit days M/W/F. Dawn patrol local rides on T/Th were good. Lunch walks at Rancocas State Park to clear the head while at work. After typing this heading to Belmont to do a quick ride on the SS before the rain. Running a 5k in Cape May tomorrow morning. Week 7 will be the same and then the MASS race at Fair Hill is next Saturday. Always a big turnout and will be doing Endurance SS.

Weight
1/2/22 Starting weight = 235.4
4/10/23 current weight =183.6
Diff: weekly down 2.2, total lost = 51.8
Accepting the fluctuations a few pounds +/-, but pretty much maintaining at around 185. I'd like to think I can get back to the 180 range before TSE.

Wife was down .5lb on her weigh in and has increased her activity.

Back on track. I kept my eating in check this entire week and had zero alcohol. Despite having a mild head cold (allergies?) I worked out 5 days in a row. Feeling good this morning. Dropped 3 lbs and am back to 210. Aiming for a 2 lb/week drop with the goal of getting to 190 and staying there.

Last Monday I weighed in at 190.2. Heaviest I've been since this thread started. Plan is to get back into the 160's.
Today's weigh in: 186.3
Moving in the right direction. Started the calorie counting. And even though I snuck in some junk food, managed to stay within the limits everyday. Haven't really had a chance to exercise this past week with kid #2 having the flu, but he goes back to school tomorrow. So hopefully I can get a few nice bike rides in this week. Hurt something in my foot at the beginning of last week on the treadmill and haven't felt good running on it since. Hopefully that clears up soon and I can get back to running as well.

2023 - Week 14
'23 Starting Weight: 201.3
Current Weight: 191.6
5 Week: -0.2
YTD: -9.7

Decent week of no alc M-Th, got on the bike, and did a ton of house/yard work.
Saw 189 on friday morning. Ate something Friday night that has me feeling like
i'm going to explode - too much beer also - might be related?

Disappointed, but not defeated! will get this intestinal issue sorted, and
try to get on the bike or go for a run a couple times this week.

will get this intestinal issue sorted
My oldest (23) has had some GI issues for a while and some of the Rx meds didnt agree with him too much. Doc recommended this OTC and it seems to help him quite a bit, takes it before each meal and generally hes good to go.

Its a little pricey but worth it for him to maintain things and not have unpredictable flare ups.

**edit - not just for IBS can be used in general with no side effects*

Keeping running in the mix has been good. Results from yesterday's 5k. Went out to just trot along, but maybe if I had pushed a bit more. Was 12s back of the 1st place age grouper. Top 3 OA finishers were all dudes 56yo or older. Didn't even hear my name called for the podium because I was enjoying a burger and beer at 10:30am. Would do this race again. https://runsignup.com/Race/Results/119918#resultSetId-374130;perpage:100
1681737189708.png

Last edited:
Glad to have found this!! Must have hidden it after my ACL injury in Jan '22. After seeing some year-end photos, sleeping like shit and 210 on the scale, I realized it was time to make change. Never been a gym person so followed my wife's lead and joined "The Max" which is class based gym and nutrition program. Five days a week, three cardio and two weight training.

Started during the Christmas week on a free trial, by New Year's Eve I could hardly walk. Jumped in to dry January, worked out every day and followed the nutrition plan. It took some time to start shedding weight but I was feeling better overall and sleep improved quickly. Was down just under 200 pounds by the end January. Picked up Covid (first time) in mid-February and after three days in bed I was down to 189 shockingly. Most of March I spent skiing the weekends and traveling so nutrition wasn't perfect but have been able to keep the weight hovering around 190. Going back all in on the nutrition plan this week with the goal of dropping another 10 over the next few months.

My New Years resolution was "no promises" which sounds strange but seems to be working :cool:

Well the winter was pretty interesting as I was sick with some sinus thing for most of January and February. March was getting better until I fell off a bridge and tore my ACL again. I finally start feeling better and regain strength, then go on vacation for a week. So for most of the winter I was hanging around 185. After the injury I crept up to 188. After vacation I feared the worst at an all inclusive. I came home gaining zero weight. That was a win. Now is the next challenge.

I just had my ACL reconstruction Wednesday and it will be a while before I’m back to my usual activities. With the surgery they found my meniscus was torn as well so it’ll be a longer recovery period than I anticipated. The goal now is to focus on the diet to hopefully not gain any weight and maybe even drop a few. I’m hoping recovery is smooth and I can get back to my routine ASAP.

Friday check in.

Didn't get in as much riding as I wanted to - but a good long ride Monday with my gals. Worked at the farm and two days of CrossFit. I've been hungry earlier in the morning but staying on track with my healthy eating.

Down 1.5 lbs for a total of 18.2 lbs.

Hiking with the kids today - should be a great time! Have a great weekend!

Well the winter was pretty interesting as I was sick with some sinus thing for most of January and February. March was getting better until I fell off a bridge and tore my ACL again. I finally start feeling better and regain strength, then go on vacation for a week. So for most of the winter I was hanging around 185. After the injury I crept up to 188. After vacation I feared the worst at an all inclusive. I came home gaining zero weight. That was a win. Now is the next challenge.

I just had my ACL reconstruction Wednesday and it will be a while before I’m back to my usual activities. With the surgery they found my meniscus was torn as well so it’ll be a longer recovery period than I anticipated. The goal now is to focus on the diet to hopefully not gain any weight and maybe even drop a few. I’m hoping recovery is smooth and I can get back to my routine ASAP.

Good luck with this!! Make it a micro game to see how fast you can turn it around. Coming into it with good fitness and muscle, you are are on your way.

Protein shake with spinach and frozen banana.

Been to the gym four times this week and riding tonight, hope to see 18X on the scale this weekend.

View attachment 211921

Sounds crazy but apes dont eat ripe bananas in the wild because instinctively they know the energy boost is short lived in comparison to green bananas. Shakes mixed with PB is a great time to test that out... green bananas are not the greatest but we can learn to tolerate them. 😆

Sounds crazy but apes dont eat ripe bananas in the wild because instinctively they know the energy boost is short lived in comparison to green bananas. Shakes mixed with PB is a great time to test that out... green bananas are not the greatest but we can learn to tolerate them. 😆

There's a 1000 more nutritious food items to eat than an underripe banana that don't taste like bitter sand.

Back
Top Bottom