Biggest loser

Over the Bars

Maintenance has been going great keeping motivated to stay fit with all the spartan races the first of which was today in the pouring rain at mountain creek. Just a few of the pics
GridArt_20230430_160250491.jpg
GridArt_20230430_151516897~2.jpg

Cassinonorth

Goal Weight End of April: 179.8 lbs

May 1 Weight: 184.0 lbs (-0.2 lbs in May)

Goal Weight End of May: 179.8 lbs

Screenshot_20230503-093614.png

April was a bit of a doozy social life wise, training wise, and diet wise. Lets start off with the trip ups...had 2 Easters (saturday and sunday for both our families), a co-ed baby shower, a christening and a birthday party and to top it off my company had a catered breakfast for Arbor day (lol?). Typing those out, I think I can forgive myself for ending up flat weight wise for the month. Inconsistency was the name of the game in April.

Screenshot_20230503-100315.png

Onto the positives. I rode my bike 41 hours this month. 3 MTB training rides, 2 races, 7 commutes and 13 trainer rides. I just installed a power meter on my MTB so I expect the MTB training rides to trainer rides to be closer to even split the rest of the summer. I absolutely think I'm getting stronger on the bike so although I would like to be 170lbs to race, there's plenty of meat left on the preverbal bike fitness bone.

1683122682847.png

Here's to a slightly less hectic (slightly), May!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I have been hearing/reading about these constant glucose monitors. Levels, dexcom, etc. Seems like some potentially really interesting data. Anyone ever try one?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I have been hearing/reading about these constant glucose monitors. Levels, dexcom, etc. Seems like some potentially really interesting data. Anyone ever try one?
@2Julianas used the Dexcom G6 for a bit. Same one we had Trevor try out for his Type 1. The G7 was just released, and is significantly smaller/less intrusive. There was a pro that got DQ'd a month or three ago for using one during a race. Can't remember her name. She said it wasn't connected at the time (you need your phone near by and it's not like a pro is gonna whip out her iPhone in the middle of a race)

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@2Julianas used the Dexcom G6 for a bit. Same one we had Trevor try out for his Type 1. The G7 was just released, and is significantly smaller/less intrusive. There was a pro that got DQ'd a month or three ago for using one during a race. Can't remember her name. She said it wasn't connected at the time (you need your phone near by and it's not like a pro is gonna whip out her iPhone in the middle of a race)
I did! Learned a bunch of interesting things about my personal glucose reactions relative to foods, timing of foods, and workouts.

ebarker9

Kristen Faulkner, I believe. That was a strange one.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There was a pro that got DQ'd a month or three ago for using one during a race.

Kristen Faulkner, I believe. That was a strange one.
I mean to me that makes me think it must work pretty well lol.

Does seem like you might be able to get some really interesting data from it with regards to bike racing....like how often do I REALLY need to eat during a race.

ebarker9

I mean to me that makes me think it must work pretty well lol.

Does seem like you might be able to get some really interesting data from it with regards to bike racing....like how often do I REALLY need to eat during a race.

Always a good marketing strategy to say that something has been banned in competition.

I do think that it would be really interesting as well. There was a podcast that was discussing these...the Supersapiens one seems to be the most common, but there are other options as well, at least one of which is a lot more expensive but has some benefit that I can't recall.

Robin

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Weekly check-in. Maintaining same weight as last week. Wasn't sure how weigh in would go this morning as yesterday I celebrated my mom's birthday with a blizzard from Dairy Queen (I'm finding that dairy and sugar wreck me too). Good week of 2 long MTB rides, CrossFit and a run.

JDurk

E2M program R8W8D6
R8 coming to a close, and no plans to stop following this fitness routine. Sign-ups are currently open for the next 8wk round through Wednesday, 5/3 I believe. The round starts Monday, 5/1. https://e2mfitness.com/

Diet
Was good with diet again. After racing on Saturday, was hungry all day on Sunday. May have had a few Sunday Funday beers while doing yard work. Heading out this afternoon and may swing by Vincentown Diner for some meatloaf, as seen on D.D.D.

Exercise
Raced at Fair Hill last Saturday. Finished with a P5/9 in Endurance SS. 7 laps in 4:43, 52mi with 4,831ft of climbing on 32x19 gearing. Started dealing with some cramping during lap 5 and had to be careful the rest of the way. Interesting enough, in 2022, using gears and full suspension, I did Endurance 45+ and was P24/38 for 6 laps in 4:43. Resumed running as a warm-up for the circuits, M/W/F. Tuesday rode the trainer and Thursday Belmont #notarace, 9th overall and 1st place SS. Will be spending the week getting ready for the Xterra Duathlon at Wawayanda next Saturday.

Weight
1/2/22 Starting weight = 235.4
4/28/22 current weight = 182.4
Diff: weekly up 0.8, total lost = 53
Looking back 1yr today, was just finishing up the 2nd 8wk round of E2M and coincidently, my weight was 182.4lbs. I've been lower in the time since, but I've definitely put some muscle weight on from increasing the weight used during the circuits and being consistent with extra credit weight workouts.

April 30, 2022
View attachment 212526View attachment 212527

April 29, 2023
View attachment 212529View attachment 212530
E2M program R9W1D6

Diet
Food intake was good most of the week. Did go out for Buck a Shuck at Max's Seafood in Gloucester City on Wed night, oysters, mussels in white sauce, bread, salad and meatless meatballs washed down with some Guinness. So some good, some bad. Last night had some steak tacos and a beer. No cheat meals this weekend planned, yet.

Exercise
Been feeling tired. Did the circuits with run warm-up M/W/F, no extra credit this week. Spin bike Tue, skipped it to sleep in on Thurs. Heading up to Wawayanda today to participate in the Xterra tomorrow. Will be doing the Duathlon, (4k run, 26k bike, 10k run). Going to be interesting. Will be sticking to the plan next week with circuits and adding extra credit back in. MASS French Creek is up next Saturday.

Weight
5/06/23 current weight = 184.4
Diff: weekly up 2, total lost = 51
Not surprised with the trend up. Activity was lower, eating was up. It is what it is and know better.

Wife weighed herself this morning and was up 1lb for the week. She's not been as active and slowly her weight has gone up about 5lb from her lowest.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
9hrs of pedal time last week, another 4 in the gym.

Did my first road ride of the year on friday.....while my left to right power isnt majorly off....about 4-5% (my right leg was always 2% weaker than my left) Whats really evident from my power data is the difference in phase from right to left....My right foot im making power for about 10% less of the circle than my left. Which im sure is due to the fact that I currently have little to no dorsiflexion in my ankle. Getting better every day, still currently sucks tho.

@JimN and @Meatball Mia @Ryan.P dragged me all over ringwood for 3+ hours on Saturday....They were working hard to try and make me die, and I was hurting, but I survived.
yq0CTIicgno0wKFMbxWSNlj6TJ8z6aEXUW0wDv6nqcg-2048x921.jpg

Then a couple more hours at Mahlon with Iggy and Bill on Sunday.....

End result, I lost a few pounds this week.

Robin

TGIF!

Mixing it up this week - road ride (which was less fun), MTB, running, and CrossFit. Shifted my IF window to 14-10 just because I've been a bit more hungry in the morning. Still maintaining...

Get out there this weekend - and don't forget Sunday is Mother's Day.

JDurk

E2M program R9W1D6

Diet
Food intake was good most of the week. Did go out for Buck a Shuck at Max's Seafood in Gloucester City on Wed night, oysters, mussels in white sauce, bread, salad and meatless meatballs washed down with some Guinness. So some good, some bad. Last night had some steak tacos and a beer. No cheat meals this weekend planned, yet.

Exercise
Been feeling tired. Did the circuits with run warm-up M/W/F, no extra credit this week. Spin bike Tue, skipped it to sleep in on Thurs. Heading up to Wawayanda today to participate in the Xterra tomorrow. Will be doing the Duathlon, (4k run, 26k bike, 10k run). Going to be interesting. Will be sticking to the plan next week with circuits and adding extra credit back in. MASS French Creek is up next Saturday.

Weight
5/06/23 current weight = 184.4
Diff: weekly up 2, total lost = 51
Not surprised with the trend up. Activity was lower, eating was up. It is what it is and know better.

Wife weighed herself this morning and was up 1lb for the week. She's not been as active and slowly her weight has gone up about 5lb from her lowest.
E2M program R9W3D1

Diet
Did ok most of the week sticking to the plan. Sat and Sun sort of went off the rails with too much snacking, breaking my fast early, beer and ice cream. I was craving it and felt hungry quite often. Had a shitty celebration meal at the local Outback, service was terrible, steak was cold and they were out of the beer I wanted. Anyway, this week will be a test as my MIL will be in town, we're hosting a family party on Saturday and I'll be trying to be good all week pre-TSE which begins next Tuesday. We are going out to dinner with my parents and MIL on Wed to celebrate Mother's Day a few days late.

Exercise
Took it a little easy this week, only worked out T/W/Th. Did the Xterra Duathlon last Sunday at Wawayanda. As a 1st timer, didn't expect much as far as results. Ran a bit of the 1st leg 4k with my wife, but she said go ahead, so I did. She was supposed to do the sprint Tri, but decided to do her own sprint Du as the water was cold and wetsuit mandatory. Got in/out of transition in about 2.5min and out on the bike. I was on the geared HT mtb, was supposed to be gravel friendly, but I'd say that it was maybe 60/40. Made a lot of passes during that portion. There was 1 steep, rocky climb that most were walking and I cleaned it both times. A bit of mud and running water on a few trails. Another 2.5min transition back into run mode and out for the 10k. More elevation variation and rocks. Recognized a few of the trails from riding there. Ran the 1st 2ish miles, then switched to run/walk intervals for a bit, then back to full running to the finish. It was fun, may do it again. next year.
1684153702347.png

1684153732275.png

1684153303979.png

Thursday evening at Belmont #notarace, was 11th overall, with a 1st SS to the finish. Course was very gravely, short loop, 4 laps. There was 4 SSers and we all battled back and forth the first 2 laps before I pulled away. As I mentioned, TSE is next week, so will be taking it easy again this week, but sticking to the routine with no running.

Weight
5/15/23 current weight = 186.6
Diff: weekly up 2.2, total lost = 48.8
Lower activity, beer, snacking, chocolate and ice cream all added up this week. It's all gone now for the week.

Wife is done working for a few months as graduation was last Friday, so no teaching. She plans to ramp up some activity and has hired a coach to get her back into multi-sport shape again. She likes to swim, tolerates the bike and hates to run.

Last edited:

iman29

E2M program R9W3D1

Diet
Did ok most of the week sticking to the plan. Sat and Sun sort of went off the rails with too much snacking, breaking my fast early, beer and ice cream. I was craving it and felt hungry quite often. Had a shitty celebration meal at the local Outback, service was terrible, steak was cold and they were out of the beer I wanted. Anyway, this week will be a test as my MIL will be in town, we're hosting a family party on Saturday and I'll be trying to be good all week pre-TSE which begins next Tuesday. We are going out to dinner with my parents and MIL on Wed to celebrate Mother's Day a few days late.

Exercise
Took it a little easy this week, only worked out T/W/Th. Did the Xterra Duathlon last Sunday at Wawayanda. As a 1st timer, didn't expect much as far as results. Ran a bit of the 1st leg 4k with my wife, but she said go ahead, so I did. She was supposed to do the sprint Tri, but decided to do her own sprint Du as the water was cold and wetsuit mandatory. Got in/out of transition in about 2.5min and out on the bike. I was on the geared HT mtb, was supposed to be gravel friendly, but I'd say that it was maybe 60/40. Made a lot of passes during that portion. There was 1 steep, rocky climb that most were walking and I cleaned it both times. A bit of mud and running water on a few trails. Another 2.5min transition back into run mode and out for the 10k. More elevation variation and rocks. Recognized a few of the trails from riding there. Ran the 1st 2ish miles, then switched to run/walk intervals for a bit, then back to full running to the finish. It was fun, may do it again. next year.
View attachment 213625
View attachment 213628
View attachment 213621

Thursday evening at Belmont #notarace, was 11th overall, with a 1st SS to the finish. Course was very gravely, short loop, 4 laps. There was 4 SSers and we all battled back and forth the first 2 laps before I pulled away. As I mentioned, TSE is next week, so will be taking it easy again this week, but sticking to the routine with no running.

Weight
5/15/23 current weight = 186.6
Diff: weekly up 2.2, total lost = 48.8
Lower activity, beer, snacking, chocolate and ice cream all added up this week. It's all gone now for the week.

Wife is done working for a few months as graduation was last Friday, so no teaching. She plans to ramp up some activity and has hired a coach to get her back into multi-sport shape again. She likes to swim, tolerates the bike and hates to run.
bike lap times consistent after a run - well done !

Top Bottom