Biggest loser

Cassinonorth

Goal Weight End of May: 179.8 lbs

June 1 Weight: 183.0 lbs (-1.0 lbs in May)

After listening to the latest Ask a Cycling Coach podcast, I've basically backed off trying to lose weight at the moment. If it happens, great. I'm much more concerned about fueling myself and my training than trying to get to a certain weight at the expense of my workouts. I'm going to run through my training plan maintaining my current weight through September, then look to drop a few more over the winter rather than gain like usual.

May totals: 46 hours on the bike (10 hours trainer, 18 MTB and 18 road)

FTP: 264W (+19W since March 17)

Robin

Friday check in.

Last week was tough. Family in town, BBQs and over indulging. I also had the anxiety of seeing family members that shamed me for losing weight (haters gonna hate). I weighed myself Tuesday morning and it was not good.

I did have 4 days of CrossFit - one being the Murph (1 mile run, 100 pullups, 200 pushups, 300 squats, then 1 mile run), and shaved some time off. Two bike rides too.

Up 1.5 pounds from last week - which I'll take seeing as I was up 4 pounds on Tuesday. I pulled it back in and feel like I'm on track again.

JDurk

E2M program R9W5D1

Diet
Back from a week of TSE. Ate well. Breakfast for Meal #1 was provided and made mostly good choices. Cooked my own the last few days. Packed food for meal #2 post daily stage. Dinner was provided to all racers each evening. Supplemented with fruit, nuts, some chips and beer. Out on the course, hydration and fueling was on the bike. Stopped at the aid stations to munch on some solid food: Dixie cups of PBJ, fig bars, Pringles and M&M's, in that order, washed down with a cup of Coke before moving along. Got home yesterday and had a burger, beers and some ice cream.

Exercise
Conditions of the trails and the awesome weather provided much enjoyment during #singletracksummercamp and the #eastcoastrocks were very predictable being that they were very dry. Will do a race report in a separate thread. What I will say is that I was approximately 2h10m faster in '23 than '22 for overall time.

Weight
1/2/22 Starting weight = 235.4
5/29/23 current weight = 184.6
Diff: weekly up 0.6, total lost = 50.8
All good with where I'm at. Will get back into the weekly pre-race routine. Will take a week to decide if I do a particular 101mile event that occurs towards the end of July.
E2M program R9W5D7

Diet
Back to the eating routine. Did have some beer Fri night and Saturday afternoon. Somewhat of a cheat meal last night in the form of ch. burgers, but there was a salad, followed by a Hershey's Dark Choc and peanut butter dessert. Heading into Philly today and may stop at Monk's for a bite and some beer.

Exercise
Got back into the workout routine of circuits T/W/F. Spin bike warmup T/F. Short 30min run warmup W. Belmont #notarace Th evening had me finishing 5th overall and 1st place SS. Sat was a 24ish mile ride of Wiss and this morning will be doing an easy 1-1.5hr local spin. I'm going to increase my cardio and reduce the EC weight workouts. I've pretty much decided to make a go of the W101 on July 22. Going to increase my weekly ride miles and drop a few.

Weight
6/4/23 current weight = 182.6
Diff: weekly down 2, total lost = 52.8
Assuming the weigh going down was the inflammation from a week of TSE has moved on.

Last edited:

iman29

Just attended my college fraternity reunion Friday night in AC celebrating 95 years where I probably drank more beer in one night than the last 12 months (don’t worry I stayed overnight ). I saw some guys I haven’t seen in 20-30 years probably. Many of them very bald and/or “round “ (no offense intended).

However just like the last time I went in 2018 I wore my fraternity football jersey from 1990 that still fits me and it felt damn good.

When asked WTF I have been doing I told them all if you want to lose weight and stay in shape ride a bike!

For the hair I told them I got no answers. Lol

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Been MIA because my life has been quite hectic these past 3 weeks. I've been stress eating and drinking more than I should. Don't worry...
terminator_-_ill_be_back--i:1413856394241413851;d:639424;w:240;b:000000;m:1.jpg

Robin

Not to much to report as far as me - had two good MTB rides earlier in the week. Then broke my bike trying to work on it Wednesday since I couldn't ride...PR'd on my power clean at CrossFit yesterday which was a highlight!

Wednesday hubby and I were going to grab something to eat after our date ride. I didn't have a meal planned so when we weren't riding...I said let's still get something. Hooter's opened in Flemington. I've never been to one...but I've *heard* their wings are good. Hubby suggested we try it. Meh. Not worth the "treat" for sure - wings were less than impressive. Kind of disappointed I wasted my "treat" meal on that.

Maintaining my weight at 114ish.

Only 4 more days of school (including today!). Happy Friday!

JDurk

E2M program R9W5D7

Diet
Back to the eating routine. Did have some beer Fri night and Saturday afternoon. Somewhat of a cheat meal last night in the form of ch. burgers, but there was a salad, followed by a Hershey's Dark Choc and peanut butter dessert. Heading into Philly today and may stop at Monk's for a bite and some beer.

Exercise
Got back into the workout routine of circuits T/W/F. Spin bike warmup T/F. Short 30min run warmup W. Belmont #notarace Th evening had me finishing 5th overall and 1st place SS. Sat was a 24ish mile ride of Wiss and this morning will be doing an easy 1-1.5hr local spin. I'm going to increase my cardio and reduce the EC weight workouts. I've pretty much decided to make a go of the W101 on July 22. Going to increase my weekly ride miles and drop a few.

Weight
6/4/23 current weight = 182.6
Diff: weekly down 2, total lost = 52.8
Assuming the weigh going down was the inflammation from a week of TSE has moved on.
E2M program R9W7D1

Diet
Pretty much stuck to the routine all week, until the weekend hits. Had a few beers Sat afternoon at the local with a couple of friends. Yesterday after racing at Guy's Neshaminy, a few more beers, then tacos for dinner, followed by a Häagen-Dazs® ice cream bar. It was so good. Will be going camping this upcoming weekend, so will stay on plan all week, with some camping food plans for the weekend

Exercise
Circuits M/W/F and extra credit weights, warm-up with spin bike sessions. Stopping the E.C. weights moving forward to get more time in the saddle. Tuesday dawn patrol ride and a structured track run with my wife at a local high school, organized by all volunteers. There was close to 200 people there split up into 5 different groups based on previous 5k times. Holy shit that was hard. Belmont #notarace was cancelled on Thurs evening because of smoke. Took a rest day. J.R.A ride on Saturday around Camden County Parks. Sunday raced at Guy's Neshaminy XC. Haven't been there since '18 according to Strava. Lined up with 7 others in the Cat1 SS class. Was sitting in 3rd behind @Matt_ and another rider on Lap 1 when an earlier front tire rim strike burp had me nursing a barely inflated tire on the rockier sections. Hit it with CO2, started riding again, and it deflated again. Another CO2 and made it back to the start/finish area, but wasn't going to make 2 more laps. Rode out to the van, squirted in a 2oz bottle of Stan's and reinflated with the floor pump and went back out. Managed to finish expecting to be DFL, but another rider also front flatted and he DNF'd. So 7th place of 8 starters. I'll take it.

Weight
6/12/23 current weight = 184.4
Diff: weekly up 1.8, total lost = 51.3
I'm still maintaining in a tight range of 182-186. The uptake in beer consumption on weekends doesn't help. Same for the ice cream and extra cheat meals. Increasing saddle time for the event at the end of July should help with motivation to stay more consistent with eating.

Wife is having a hard time getting activity level up, but is definitely improving.

Robin

First day of summer vacation and I'm up at the ass crack of dawn. Go figure.

Food this week was more than usual... friend's 50th birthday party, senior prom, department luncheon, and ice cream.

Tried to get in as much activity as I could with all going on. Hike, MTB and DH, CrossFit 2xs.

Up 0.5 lb. All things considered I'll take it.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's!

JDurk

E2M program R9W7D1

Diet
Pretty much stuck to the routine all week, until the weekend hits. Had a few beers Sat afternoon at the local with a couple of friends. Yesterday after racing at Guy's Neshaminy, a few more beers, then tacos for dinner, followed by a Häagen-Dazs® ice cream bar. It was so good. Will be going camping this upcoming weekend, so will stay on plan all week, with some camping food plans for the weekend

Exercise
Circuits M/W/F and extra credit weights, warm-up with spin bike sessions. Stopping the E.C. weights moving forward to get more time in the saddle. Tuesday dawn patrol ride and a structured track run with my wife at a local high school, organized by all volunteers. There was close to 200 people there split up into 5 different groups based on previous 5k times. Holy shit that was hard. Belmont #notarace was cancelled on Thurs evening because of smoke. Took a rest day. J.R.A ride on Saturday around Camden County Parks. Sunday raced at Guy's Neshaminy XC. Haven't been there since '18 according to Strava. Lined up with 7 others in the Cat1 SS class. Was sitting in 3rd behind @Matt_ and another rider on Lap 1 when an earlier front tire rim strike burp had me nursing a barely inflated tire on the rockier sections. Hit it with CO2, started riding again, and it deflated again. Another CO2 and made it back to the start/finish area, but wasn't going to make 2 more laps. Rode out to the van, squirted in a 2oz bottle of Stan's and reinflated with the floor pump and went back out. Managed to finish expecting to be DFL, but another rider also front flatted and he DNF'd. So 7th place of 8 starters. I'll take it.

Weight
6/12/23 current weight = 184.4
Diff: weekly up 1.8, total lost = 51.3
I'm still maintaining in a tight range of 182-186. The uptake in beer consumption on weekends doesn't help. Same for the ice cream and extra cheat meals. Increasing saddle time for the event at the end of July should help with motivation to stay more consistent with eating.

Wife is having a hard time getting activity level up, but is definitely improving.
E2M program R9W8D1

Diet
While I managed to stick to the plan earlier in the days of the week, as the week goes on I get hungry cravings at work and hit the snack machine. Wife and I went to Hickory Run S.P. for a weekend of camping. We packed pre-made meals for the trip which included fruit as snacks. Saturday we planned to visit Jim Thorpe to walk around town and get an afternoon meal there. Some campfire beers on Fri night, more beers and food at Molly Maguires Pub, and then patio sitting at Libations Lounge at the Harry Packer Mansion on Saturday. Got home Sunday and hung out at my brother's house for Father's Day. More food and beer. This is not going to result in a good number on the scale.

Exercise.
M-Th was good with exercise. Weather and time constraints had me riding indoors all week. Didn't take a bike to Hickory Run as there was rain in the forecast, but it didn't. Walked around camp and Jim Thorpe, so some activity. Pretty much used this week as a rest and recovery week. Plan is to do a good 4 week block in prep for the W101 on 7/22.

Weight
6/19/23 current weight = 188.6
Diff: weekly up 4.2, total lost = 46.8
No surprise with the climb up in weight. Back on plan with food, activity, no beer until the weekend and it'll drop quick. No worries. Cheat meal turned into cheat weekend.

Over the Bars

Hey @Over the Bars ,

I recall you mentioning that you can get to a high protein intake rather easily. How are you doing this on a regular basis? Thanks👊🏻
Protein wise I get around 50 to 75 grams per meal. I start the day off with a mix of eggs and egg whites. Usually 5 eggs and 6 egg whites. Lunch I prep chicken breast for the week ahead of time and take a pretty big serving today it's 355 grams which is 73 grams of protein. Dinner varies a lot day by day but chicken, lean ground turkey, venison, salmon or tuna steaks, shrimp, scallops, some beef not often though. Then I eat some Greek yogurt as a snack. That's all what I get on Purpose then you start adding in all the sides and stuff that all have smaller amounts of protein and I'm easily over 200 grams everyday sometimes pushing 250. I only weigh around 160 so this is way more than I need but I enjoy it and it keeps me full and on target for my goals.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Haha funny I seem to check in around the same time of the month.

My low has been 226 and for a month I've floated between that and 230. Seemed to have hot a Plateau! Haven't changed a thing and really haven't had much in the cheat days either. Gonna have to possibly stick to a strict intermediate fast for a week and see where it gets me.

Biking is really limited
Work has put a nail in that end
Walk steps with work has avg 15k
With 10 flights so not slacking there.
Just physically beat up. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this job ☹️

Robin

Weekly check-in. Wrapping up 8 weeks (round 4 for me) of E2M. This round was about maintenance.

As @JDurk has mentioned, maintenance seems to be more challenging than actually losing the weight. For me, it seemed there were more "functions" and temptations to deal with these past 8 weeks. This past week I had Father's Day with my dad, Father's Day with FIL, and hubby's birthday (which was really 2 days). I was able to get out for a few rides and CrossFit mixed in.

I did see a friend who I haven't seen in a while - she asked about my biggest takeaway from the experience. For me, cutting out crap (sugar/processed foods) and increasing my protein and fiber while reducing the carbs. Making my own meals and cooking (with spices!). I also haven't been drinking. I feel good - and stronger. I know that this isn't for everyone - and to each their own. If anyone is interested in joining the program, the next round starts June 29th (you can sign up next week).

Maintaining still!

Will be heading to Highland today for a long weekend - coaching Saturday and Sunday. Will have to adjust my eating window based on my work hours - but when I return Monday, back to my normal schedule.

Enjoy the weekend!

The Kalmyk

Protein wise I get around 50 to 75 grams per meal. I start the day off with a mix of eggs and egg whites. Usually 5 eggs and 6 egg whites. Lunch I prep chicken breast for the week ahead of time and take a pretty big serving today it's 355 grams which is 73 grams of protein. Dinner varies a lot day by day but chicken, lean ground turkey, venison, salmon or tuna steaks, shrimp, scallops, some beef not often though. Then I eat some Greek yogurt as a snack. That's all what I get on Purpose then you start adding in all the sides and stuff that all have smaller amounts of protein and I'm easily over 200 grams everyday sometimes pushing 250. I only weigh around 160 so this is way more than I need but I enjoy it and it keeps me full and on target for my goals.

Shit!!

Thats tough😎. No shakes to get that high. Approximately how much are you spending on meats weekly or whenever you shop?

Over the Bars

Shit!!

Thats tough😎. No shakes to get that high. Approximately how much are you spending on meats weekly or whenever you shop?
🫣🫣🫣😬😬 some things are better left up to the imagination 😆 we do most of our shopping at aldis, Sam's, and bjs. Buy as much in bulk as we can but honestly I don't know, The wife does most of the food shopping. I actually have a ton of protein powder but almost never use it 🙃. The amount of eggs I go through is disturbing though so I'm glad the price on them came down at least 😅. But at the end of the day I feel good and keep making progress towards my goals and have been maintaining the best physique I've ever had in my life so I just consider it the cost of business. some crazy part of me is starting to think I need to buy a road bike and start training for a half iron man because that just seams like the next logical progression In my path to fitness madness now. I just have to get over the fact that that riding a bike on the road does not sound enjoyable to me.

The Kalmyk

🫣🫣🫣😬😬 some things are better left up to the imagination 😆 we do most of our shopping at aldis, Sam's, and bjs. Buy as much in bulk as we can but honestly I don't know, The wife does most of the food shopping. I actually have a ton of protein powder but almost never use it 🙃. The amount of eggs I go through is disturbing though so I'm glad the price on them came down at least 😅. But at the end of the day I feel good and keep making progress towards my goals and have been maintaining the best physique I've ever had in my life so I just consider it the cost of business. some crazy part of me is starting to think I need to buy a road bike and start training for a half iron man because that just seams like the next logical progression In my path to fitness madness now. I just have to get over the fact that that riding a bike on the road does not sound enjoyable to me.

Interesting. A co-worker who does natural bb competitions talks big about Aldi’s. Imma have to check it out.

Top Bottom