Biggest loser

3 week update for me. Raced Bulldog Rump (6th of 10 in Cat 2), went to Kingdom and rode the most I have in 5 days ever. Felt like a stage race...can't wait to go back.

1691148665870.png

Weight popped up after I got back, diet on those trips is usually quite bad, then returned back to sub 180 after 2 days of decent food. Maintenance for now is the goal which leads me to the next section.

1691148854932.png

I'm nearing the end of my first XC race season and I'm starting to look forward to the Fall/Winter already. I think I could be very competitive around 170 lbs and a little more training. Going to do the WUKAR weight plan again with a focus on adding protein shakes afterward and building a little more power. Then start the cut around January again, hopefully not from 199 lbs and 3 weeks off the bike after surgery this year.

Consider the long game. Find another activity that won’t wear down the new knee and require more surgery 15 years from now.

I hear cycling is pretty low impact. 😉

Yes running is dumb and cycling rocks! 😎 The plan is to ride more and get back into shape, but running could help the knee get stronger faster. Still not cleared to run but getting closer. A bunch of good rides this week. A few pounds have come off, but establishing a better eating routine is the plan for the long run.

Yes running is dumb and cycling rocks! 😎 The plan is to ride more and get back into shape, but running could help the knee get stronger faster. Still not cleared to run but getting closer. A bunch of good rides this week. A few pounds have come off, but establishing a better eating routine is the plan for the long run.

Your running style will relate directly to knee stress. land on your fore/mid foot, not your heal.....
easy to do if you fall forward from your hip flexors, and just think about lifting you knee and dropping your foot to keep from falling on your face.
Speaking of face, chin up, look out into the distance.
(it sounds funny, but works well for endurance running)

Last edited:
E2M R10W4D5

Diet
Stuck to the plan mostly. Did have some cookies here and there. The packing plan worked well. We took food for a few days to include our time in Coburn, PA for the W101, and travelling to Raystown. Hit the Huntingdon, PA Walmart grocery area for supplies later. Nutrition and hydration was on point for the W101. Never felt crampy or dehydrated. Got home yesterday afternoon and ordered fajitas from the local Mexican spot. Going to do a little more off plan eating through the weekend.

Exercise
Raced the W101 last Saturday. Rode around Allegrippis trails or the rubber trail around Seven Points Campground to get my daily 31/31 requirements complete. A few days out on the inflatable kayaks. Walked a lot. Packing up for departure and unpacking upon return home was a sweaty activity. Up this morning to ride before the heat really kicks in.

Weight
1/2/22 Starting weight = 235.4
7/28/23 current weight = 181.0
Diff: down 4.4, total lost = 54.4
All the activity during the week has resulted in a big drop. Unlike most of the other campers we observed at Seven Points that just sit in their camp chairs all day. Many others were sitting inside their air conditioned trailer. I feel good. Caught up with sleep, with most night more than 9hrs.
E2M R10W6D1

Diet
Forgot to check in last week. Getting back into the routine was difficult when returning from a vacation week. Ate well all week. Probably had a few too many beers and Not Your Mamas Tacos on Sunday after racing at the Summer Sizzler. Will need to clean up the diet a bit this week.

Exercise
Now that 31/31 challenge is over, didn't ride everyday last week, but did get some lunch break walks back into the mix. Picked up a new pair of running shoes and will bring that back into the exercise routine. Bike racing season is winding down. Raced the Summer Sizzler yesterday in Cat1 SS and got P3/7, behind @Matt_ . Happy with my finish. Pushed it a bit too much on the first 1/2 lap, but Matt and James P1 stuck to my wheel, and eventually dropped me. Only 2 more races on the schedule, Big Elk and Granogue Rewind, where I plan to do Endurance SS.

Weight
8/07/23 current weight = 185.6
Diff: up 4.6, total lost = 49.8
I'll put the increase on a few things. Beer, tacos and inflammation. My body hurts today. Rigid SS at Cat1 XC pace over the roots of the race course is pretty brutal.

1691418564932.png

Checking in to hold myself accountable.

Was away last week camping with my Dad. I brought some food but he did not...and so we ate out for every dinner. I made some good choices and some bad.

Up 2 lbs.

Home now and back to what I normally eat.

Two weeks until school starts. It looks like my lunch will be a more normal time of 11:25 (instead of 10:05).

Checking in to hold myself accountable.

Was away last week camping with my Dad. I brought some food but he did not...and so we ate out for every dinner. I made some good choices and some bad.

Up 2 lbs.

Home now and back to what I normally eat.

Two weeks until school starts. It looks like my lunch will be a more normal time of 11:25 (instead of 10:05).
"...camping with my Dad ...and so we ate out for every dinner."

huh.gif

Well things have come to a dead stop. I hover between 222-228. Haven't changed a thing. Exercising has been non existence been lucky if I get one ride a week. Time for a change of something. Work with long daily commute has really punched a hole in the attempts to riding. Honestly laboring in the heat of the summer does not inspire riding, then again if I don't ride real early in the summers I don't ride at all normally.

Im basically on a carnivore diet at this point. Don't touch much of anything else besides and apple and avocado a day. So not sure where to change things. Maybe skip out the dinner meal as most times I'm not really hungry I just eat because it's being made for me.

E2M R10W6D1

Diet
Forgot to check in last week. Getting back into the routine was difficult when returning from a vacation week. Ate well all week. Probably had a few too many beers and Not Your Mamas Tacos on Sunday after racing at the Summer Sizzler. Will need to clean up the diet a bit this week.

Exercise
Now that 31/31 challenge is over, didn't ride everyday last week, but did get some lunch break walks back into the mix. Picked up a new pair of running shoes and will bring that back into the exercise routine. Bike racing season is winding down. Raced the Summer Sizzler yesterday in Cat1 SS and got P3/7, behind @Matt_ . Happy with my finish. Pushed it a bit too much on the first 1/2 lap, but Matt and James P1 stuck to my wheel, and eventually dropped me. Only 2 more races on the schedule, Big Elk and Granogue Rewind, where I plan to do Endurance SS.

Weight
8/07/23 current weight = 185.6
Diff: up 4.6, total lost = 49.8
I'll put the increase on a few things. Beer, tacos and inflammation. My body hurts today. Rigid SS at Cat1 XC pace over the roots of the race course is pretty brutal.

View attachment 220399
E2M R10W7D1

Diet
Did ok last week. Still getting the hunger pangs early and between meals. Have been sticking to fruit or nuts for snacking, but will need to up my meal portions to try and prevent the snacking. Already max out my protein, fat and fruit portions. Will need to ensure that my vegetable portion is maxed and also add a healthy carb to the 2nd meal as I've only been doing that with the 1st meal. No beer all week until Fri and Sat. Sat afternoon hit Tonewood for a few, then to the local where I had some more beer and dinner was a salad with grilled veggies. Will keep it clean this week with a race coming up this Saturday.

Exercise
Added dawn patrol running back into the routine W/F last week as a warm up for the E2M circuits that also restarted. Dawn patrol rides T/Th, Sat Mroad ride and Sun a few of the Hangsterfer's team did a few laps at CCC. With the 31/31 challenge complete and W101 in the rearview, will be riding less, running more, back to the circuits and Extra credit weight workouts. Wife and I are planning to do the Beach to Brewery 10k in September and we're considering the Adventure Triathlon at Belleplain in October. I don't swim and this tri has a kayak instead, with a trail ride and run. MASS series race Big Elk is this coming Saturday and will be lining up for Endurance SS.

Weight
8/14/23 current weight = 185.8
Diff: up .2, total lost = 49.6
Another week of maintaining. Feel pretty good sitting in this range. Have tightened up a few spots of loose skin after the rapid weight loss last year. Still flabby in the belly, but I think that will always be there, unless I do something drastic like plastic surgery to remove it, which I don't think I will do. Wife is still in a range, but a little higher than she wants to be. She is training for an event in Sept, SwimRun Maryland at Greenbrier S.P. As a triathlete, this was something different for her to try. She's good at swimming, hates the bike and tolerates the run.

Works been rough packed on a few extra unwanted lbs now I'm under a time crunch to lean out a bit to be ready for my 21k spartan at Killington in 32 days. Been cutting for 6 days so far ughh it's rough trying to cut calories while being oncall working Long hours ,trying to train , and be an involved dad lol. Running on caffeine and will power for now

E2M R10W7D1

Diet
Did ok last week. Still getting the hunger pangs early and between meals. Have been sticking to fruit or nuts for snacking, but will need to up my meal portions to try and prevent the snacking. Already max out my protein, fat and fruit portions. Will need to ensure that my vegetable portion is maxed and also add a healthy carb to the 2nd meal as I've only been doing that with the 1st meal. No beer all week until Fri and Sat. Sat afternoon hit Tonewood for a few, then to the local where I had some more beer and dinner was a salad with grilled veggies. Will keep it clean this week with a race coming up this Saturday.

Exercise
Added dawn patrol running back into the routine W/F last week as a warm up for the E2M circuits that also restarted. Dawn patrol rides T/Th, Sat Mroad ride and Sun a few of the Hangsterfer's team did a few laps at CCC. With the 31/31 challenge complete and W101 in the rearview, will be riding less, running more, back to the circuits and Extra credit weight workouts. Wife and I are planning to do the Beach to Brewery 10k in September and we're considering the Adventure Triathlon at Belleplain in October. I don't swim and this tri has a kayak instead, with a trail ride and run. MASS series race Big Elk is this coming Saturday and will be lining up for Endurance SS.

Weight
8/14/23 current weight = 185.8
Diff: up .2, total lost = 49.6
Another week of maintaining. Feel pretty good sitting in this range. Have tightened up a few spots of loose skin after the rapid weight loss last year. Still flabby in the belly, but I think that will always be there, unless I do something drastic like plastic surgery to remove it, which I don't think I will do. Wife is still in a range, but a little higher than she wants to be. She is training for an event in Sept, SwimRun Maryland at Greenbrier S.P. As a triathlete, this was something different for her to try. She's good at swimming, hates the bike and tolerates the run.
E2M R10W8D1

Diet
Week started off well, was good mostly, some ice cream and choc chip cookies found their way into the house. There was some snack machine trips at work. After my pre-race meal on Sat. morning, pretty much ate nothing but processed food calories and not on plan things. During the race was Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem and Heed followed by a Recoverite after. Post race meal was Korean beef tacos and crispy brussel sprouts topped with balsamic glaze and parmesan cheese from the food truck, washed down with beer. Got home and ate whatever was in front of me. Sunday morning had a egg and cheese on a bagel before travelling to Avalon to watch my wife swim a open water 5k. Post race meal was cheese pizza and cream filled donuts and 2 N/A Athletic Brewing Run Wild IPAs. Had a good dinner Sunday evening.

Exercise
Running M/W, circuits M/W/F including some extra credit weights, some lunch walks, dawn patrol ride T and #notarace at Belmont on Thur evening. Tried a new gearing on the SS at Belmont, 34/20, and managed an 8th place O.A. and 2nd SS. Saturday was the MASS Big Elk race at Fair Hill, MD. Managed a P2/6 with 6 laps in 4h09m and 46.2miles. 1 more MASS race left at Granogue Rewind on Sat, 9/2.

Weight
8/21/23 current weight = 187.6
Diff: up 1.8, total lost = 47.8
Not the direction I want the weight to be going. I know why. Which is why I listed at the diet b.s. above. It's pretty obvious my body likes to store sugar, simple carbs and alcohol (more sugar). Adding in the cheese and salt makes me retain water. Top that off with some inflammation after Saturday's race and it all starts to add up. However, I have the tools and knowledge of what works for me if I right the ship.

Last edited:
Behind in my check in - I was away for a week without a scale. Good thing?

Before I left, I was hovering close to my maintenance weight. While I ate somewhat healthy while away, I ate a lot more than normal - mostly because I was nervous about not fueling enough...plus my window of eating was off. Consumed more salt too - some of it was for hydration some of it was because it tasted good.

Put in some longer rides and I felt good! Six consecutive days of riding at KT.

Home last night - and scaled moved up...not exactly freaking out because I know why. Putting together shopping list this morning and resetting to NJ life again.

Enjoying my last few days of summer vacation!

E2M R10W8D1

Diet
Week started off well, was good mostly, some ice cream and choc chip cookies found their way into the house. There was some snack machine trips at work. After my pre-race meal on Sat. morning, pretty much ate nothing but processed food calories and not on plan things. During the race was Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem and Heed followed by a Recoverite after. Post race meal was Korean beef tacos and crispy brussel sprouts topped with balsamic glaze and parmesan cheese from the food truck, washed down with beer. Got home and ate whatever was in front of me. Sunday morning had a egg and cheese on a bagel before travelling to Avalon to watch my wife swim a open water 5k. Post race meal was cheese pizza and cream filled donuts and 2 N/A Athletic Brewing Run Wild IPAs. Had a good dinner Sunday evening.

Exercise
Running M/W, circuits M/W/F including some extra credit weights, some lunch walks, dawn patrol ride T and #notarace at Belmont on Thur evening. Tried a new gearing on the SS at Belmont, 34/20, and managed an 8th place O.A. and 2nd SS. Saturday was the MASS Big Elk race at Fair Hill, MD. Managed a P2/6 with 6 laps in 4h09m and 46.2miles. 1 more MASS race left at Granogue Rewind on Sat, 9/2.

Weight
8/21/23 current weight = 187.6
Diff: up 1.8, total lost = 47.8
Not the direction I want the weight to be going. I know why. Which is why I listed at the diet b.s. above. It's pretty obvious my body likes to store sugar, simple carbs and alcohol (more sugar). Adding in the cheese and salt makes me retain water. Top that off with some inflammation after Saturday's race and it all starts to add up. However, I have the tools and knowledge of what works for me if I right the ship.
E2M R11W1D1

Posting for accountability, as it seems I'm losing some focus
Diet
Another week of starting off well, then the downward spiral of the weekend happened again. I'm tired after a busy month of riding in July and have been lazy with sticking to the I.F. window and snacking too much on sugary things and all varieties of nuts. I like cashews and I can not lie. Saturday ate early, then visited relatives of my wife and we ate what was served, then came home and went to a new to us place for dinner that included beer, butter, bread, pasta, rice and real mashed potatoes. Committing to being more disciplined this week. Going to keep fruit in the mix to satisfy the sweet tooth cravings.

Exercise
Running, circuits and extra credit legs on Friday still have my legs store this morning. Morning run was slow and muscles were not feeling good. Rode at Wissahickon yesterday on the FS trailbike, didn't think pushing the current SS gearing would be a good idea. W1D1 circuit is pretty easy and no extra credit this week. Ride plans are set for the coming holiday weekend. I'm calling it the JBD Epic with 3 days of riding. Thursday evening is the final #notarace at Belmont. Friday 55k ride from the house to 1 of the local trails and back to Tonewood for a celebratory beer. The 55k, rather than 55mi, is for another trip around the sun. Saturday is the final MASS race Granogue Rewind where I'll be doing 4+hrs of Endurance SS.

Weight
8/28/23 current weight = 190.4
Diff: up 2.8, total lost = 45
No fault but my own. Snacking has been excessive, beer drinking and a not so great day of eating on Saturday and Sunday all added up.

Friday accountability check-in...

Monday reset with the E2M program - Round 5 for me. As @JDurk has mentioned, maintenance can be harder than losing. I was enjoying summer vacation more than I should. With school starting, less opportunity to snack and back to not eating out more than once a week...

My lunch is now 11:30. If I was home, it would be tough to wait but now that I'm busy teaching, it's not as bad to wait...I did feel like garbage on my rides and tired this week. Not sure if it's the change in eating....change in schedule...or the fact I haven't taken a break for 2.5 weeks.

Down to maintenance weight. Sticking with program as far as one meal out/week. Curious as to what hubby weighs today...

Enjoy the long weekend!

E2M R11W1D1

Posting for accountability, as it seems I'm losing some focus
Diet
Another week of starting off well, then the downward spiral of the weekend happened again. I'm tired after a busy month of riding in July and have been lazy with sticking to the I.F. window and snacking too much on sugary things and all varieties of nuts. I like cashews and I can not lie. Saturday ate early, then visited relatives of my wife and we ate what was served, then came home and went to a new to us place for dinner that included beer, butter, bread, pasta, rice and real mashed potatoes. Committing to being more disciplined this week. Going to keep fruit in the mix to satisfy the sweet tooth cravings.

Exercise
Running, circuits and extra credit legs on Friday still have my legs store this morning. Morning run was slow and muscles were not feeling good. Rode at Wissahickon yesterday on the FS trailbike, didn't think pushing the current SS gearing would be a good idea. W1D1 circuit is pretty easy and no extra credit this week. Ride plans are set for the coming holiday weekend. I'm calling it the JBD Epic with 3 days of riding. Thursday evening is the final #notarace at Belmont. Friday 55k ride from the house to 1 of the local trails and back to Tonewood for a celebratory beer. The 55k, rather than 55mi, is for another trip around the sun. Saturday is the final MASS race Granogue Rewind where I'll be doing 4+hrs of Endurance SS.

Weight
8/28/23 current weight = 190.4
Diff: up 2.8, total lost = 45
No fault but my own. Snacking has been excessive, beer drinking and a not so great day of eating on Saturday and Sunday all added up.
E2M R11W2D2

Diet
Labor Day weekend started early by taking Friday off. It was also my birthday. Did well all week. Birthday dinner at the local with my parents included a sandwich, beer and creme brulee cheesecake for dessert. Raced on Saturday, had Korean beef tacos and crispy brussel sprouts from the food truck on site. There may have been some ice cream too. Stuck to the plan the rest of the weekend. Back to following I.F. this week.

Exercise
Running, circuits and extra credit weights. Did what I will call JD's BD Epic. 3 stages: Thurs at the Belmont Year 33 finale, top 10 finish and 1st SS. Probably the best course layout of the season. 2 laps, with course alterations on Lap 2 to keep you on your toes. Fri mroadie ride from the house to the trails of CCC, then home to get 55km, ended up a little longer. Sat raced at the final MASS race, Granogue Rewind, in Endurance SS. Got P2/3 with 6 laps in 4h01m for 37.5mi. Was expecting to get 3rd as Chris Lane from B'more, MD showed up, but apparently broke his crank on lap 2 to DNF. Took Sunday off to recover.

Weight
09/05/23 current weight = 188.2
Diff: down 2.2, total lost = 47.2
Holiday weekend, so didn't expect much change. Was surprised for the downward number. Race season is over, MASS series started in April with Rattling Creek. Another TSEpic 5 day and the W101 in there too. Got a few podiums, 3rd overall for the season and the team got a 2nd overall for Endurance Team competition.
374262256_648024937313063_4722668207556573401_n.jpg

374270410_648025133979710_2101665846011506392_n.jpg

TCoqCdqpiJC70-kN3_F0vvJ8vcOjtawMAlvmCa1aTgA-1536x2048.jpg

374182650_648025150646375_8672338443919316710_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom