Biggest loser

Goal Weight End of May: 179.8 lbs

May 17 Weight: 183.4 lbs

Screenshot_20230517-094345.png

Basically maintaining 2 weeks in weight wise which I'm calling a win. May has been the opposite of less hectic. Been to 4 sporting events, 2 dinners for birthdays and a mother's day BBQ.

1684331854342.png

Done with the base phase of my training plan and here come the intervals and the build. Also haven't raced since Port Jervis on April 16 due to Iron Furnace getting cancelled so hopefully getting something in soon. I feel so much faster on the bike than I did at Rattling Creek April 2. FTP is up 15 watts in 3 months so feeling pretty good overall.

Nice work, what do you do for FTP tests?

I actually did a kinda 8min FTP test last week....im not really much of a believer in FTP tests after X number of years of training with a power meter....Not that they arent useful to people, but I dont necessarily find them useful to me personally. Anyway, I didnt give this much thought so the road I chose was rolling and not flat....its not really very useful to try and hold FTP test power on a downhill. But it was good enough to give me an idea what I should be doing with my intervals.

Nice work, what do you do for FTP tests?

I did a baseline ramp test when I started (248) and have been using Trainer Road's AI FTP since which feels about right. I don't really care about my FTP per se, as I'm not doing 1 hour straight TT's or anything of the sort so I've been just using their number. It's just a number to guide the training and I've yet to fail a workout (or an interval for that matter) so it feels about right.

One thing I will say, I was 4ish weeks into TR's sweet spot plan and I was getting absolutely smoked...heading into burnout territory. 4-5 days of sweet spot work was insane.

I changed to their polarized plan and it's been perfect.

I did a baseline ramp test when I started (248) and have been using Trainer Road's AI FTP since which feels about right. I don't really care about my FTP per se, as I'm not doing 1 hour straight TT's or anything of the sort so I've been just using their number. It's just a number to guide the training and I've yet to fail a workout (or an interval for that matter) so it feels about right.

One thing I will say, I was 4ish weeks into TR's sweet spot plan and I was getting absolutely smoked...heading into burnout territory. 4-5 days of sweet spot work was insane.

Right, like you said you have to start somewhere. I did one when I started training for real in like 2009.....Funny, I think that was my best FTP test ever....Dont think I ever got my power higher for a 20min test than that one. Maybe a few watts, but I also lost like 15lbs. I mean if you find them useful, by all means do them....I found after a couple of years....What was I doing a 15min set at last year? xxx? ok, lets try ~10% less to start, adjust accordingly worked good enough.

You are already surviving 4hr mtb races tho, so you are WAY ahead of where I was.

Are you on a mid or high volume plan? I've struggled with three days of sweet spot and threshold as my ftp increased and that kept me from ever trying one of the higher volume plans. Maybe polarized is the way to go.

Are you on a mid or high volume plan? I've struggled with three days of sweet spot and threshold as my ftp increased and that kept me from ever trying one of the higher volume plans. Maybe polarized is the way to go.

High volume. And yep, I listen to the podcast so I know the risk I'm running and their warnings about going HV. I bike commute to work (2 hours round trip/30 miles) so getting 10-12 hours of volume isn't really a challenge for me. I flirted with the idea of low/mid volume and just fill in my own extra work but so far no issues with high volume since switching over to polarized.

I also have no children at home and WFH 2 days a week which helps me squeeze in the extra time as well lol.

TGIF.

Weekly check-in. This week was a little off for me - we had State testing Tuesday through today, which throws off my whole schedule and when I have "time" to eat. Had to shift my IF window slightly earlier - which left me hungry later...and snacked. I also indulged Wednesday when I met my dad for dinner.

Good week moving though - two decent MTB rides (I pr'd on a tough climb), run and CrossFit. Have a big weekend on the bike and will try to plan accordingly for food/fuel.

Up 1 lb. I'm ok with that...for now.

Enjoy the weekend!

TGIF.

Weekly check-in. This week was a little off for me - we had State testing Tuesday through today, which throws off my whole schedule and when I have "time" to eat. Had to shift my IF window slightly earlier - which left me hungry later...and snacked. I also indulged Wednesday when I met my dad for dinner.

Good week moving though - two decent MTB rides (I pr'd on a tough climb), run and CrossFit. Have a big weekend on the bike and will try to plan accordingly for food/fuel.

Up 1 lb. I'm ok with that...for now.

Enjoy the weekend!
I found the losing was much easier than maintaining. Don't sweat it since you're active.

I know there will be ups and downs... And not letting the up be the issue. I finally realized that feeling good is better than eating lousy.
agree. This year with my new job since Aug 2022 and being in office 3 days per week I have less time for daily rides, and have to get creative to find time for exercise (rowing, zwift, dog walks).

While this has resulted in some marginal shift in my weight gain from my baseline (+/- 5 lbs depending on the week), in general my fitness feels pretty good when it comes to group rides, long endurance rides and i have even been getting out on the MTB a bit more (i know shocker for this roadie).

I dont know if this happens to any of you.....but I feel like I gain 5 or so lbs in the winter, no matter what.....Every year around may, I lose it in 1 week without doing much of anything else. Obviously its only water if it changes that quickly, but whatever, ill take it.

Been working alot on my eccentric leg strength...quad, hamstring, calf, etc. Its currently MUCH worse than my concentric strength. So I can push down on the pedal ok, holding myself and pumping on downhills gets my leg tired quickly though. So I have doing many workouts in which im pushing the weight away, then lowering it slowly...or lowering myself. My ankle still wont bend much past 0 degrees, so doing things like squats/deadlifts isnt really possible yet. Goblet/front squats with dumbells is about what i can do at the moment.

some other observations....
Last night for the first time I tried smashing some downhills, like full on enduro practice at wildcat. Things I have segement times on that I know and have done alot. First couple I was ok, like not too far off....the last run was steeper....This required me to use alot dorsiflexion, and man after 90 sec of so, my leg was hurting. By the time I got to 3 min, I was really struggling. So while im getting better, I still have a long way to go before im my old self again

I dont know if this happens to any of you.....but I feel like I gain 5 or so lbs in the winter, no matter what.....Every year around may, I lose it in 1 week without doing much of anything else. Obviously its only water if it changes that quickly, but whatever, ill take it.

I wish it was 5 lbs lol it's probably closer to 10-15 lbs for me every year.

1684510135920.png

Last edited:
E2M program R9W3D1

Diet
Did ok most of the week sticking to the plan. Sat and Sun sort of went off the rails with too much snacking, breaking my fast early, beer and ice cream. I was craving it and felt hungry quite often. Had a shitty celebration meal at the local Outback, service was terrible, steak was cold and they were out of the beer I wanted. Anyway, this week will be a test as my MIL will be in town, we're hosting a family party on Saturday and I'll be trying to be good all week pre-TSE which begins next Tuesday. We are going out to dinner with my parents and MIL on Wed to celebrate Mother's Day a few days late.

Exercise
Took it a little easy this week, only worked out T/W/Th. Did the Xterra Duathlon last Sunday at Wawayanda. As a 1st timer, didn't expect much as far as results. Ran a bit of the 1st leg 4k with my wife, but she said go ahead, so I did. She was supposed to do the sprint Tri, but decided to do her own sprint Du as the water was cold and wetsuit mandatory. Got in/out of transition in about 2.5min and out on the bike. I was on the geared HT mtb, was supposed to be gravel friendly, but I'd say that it was maybe 60/40. Made a lot of passes during that portion. There was 1 steep, rocky climb that most were walking and I cleaned it both times. A bit of mud and running water on a few trails. Another 2.5min transition back into run mode and out for the 10k. More elevation variation and rocks. Recognized a few of the trails from riding there. Ran the 1st 2ish miles, then switched to run/walk intervals for a bit, then back to full running to the finish. It was fun, may do it again. next year.
View attachment 213625
View attachment 213628
View attachment 213621

Thursday evening at Belmont #notarace, was 11th overall, with a 1st SS to the finish. Course was very gravely, short loop, 4 laps. There was 4 SSers and we all battled back and forth the first 2 laps before I pulled away. As I mentioned, TSE is next week, so will be taking it easy again this week, but sticking to the routine with no running.

Weight
1/2/22 Starting weight = 235.4
5/15/23 current weight = 186.6
Diff: weekly up 2.2, total lost = 48.8
Lower activity, beer, snacking, chocolate and ice cream all added up this week. It's all gone now for the week.

Wife is done working for a few months as graduation was last Friday, so no teaching. She plans to ramp up some activity and has hired a coach to get her back into multi-sport shape again. She likes to swim, tolerates the bike and hates to run.
E2M program R9W4D1

Diet
Another week of mostly ok. Mid-week went out to dinner with my MIL and parents to celebrate Mother's Day. Friday started vacation, Saturday was a family party, and Sunday was spent prepping to ship out for a week of the TSE 5day. Wasn't good with eating, beers were consumed and ice cream any of those days after my first meal. Packing food food for after each day's race stage, breakfast and dinner is included with the race registration. Not worried about what I will be consuming this week.

Exercise
Did the circuits M/W, a few walks on the lunch break, and dawn patrol on T and #notarace on Th at Belmont. Week's course was different as it was 5mi, 2 laps. Ended up at the pointy end again, around 11th, but was the 1st SS again. The youngsters at the front are all on gears. Will be riding the Pivot T429v3 for the week at TSE to handle all the #eastcoastrocks. A bit of a change this year. Stage 1 is run in reverse with some new stuff, Stage 2 is new, Stage 3 is the same dick kick, Stage 4 same, and Stage 5 is same but different in many ways.

Weight
5/22/23 current weight = 184
Diff: weekly down 2.6, total lost = 51.4
Was surprised I saw a down week. Didn't think it was going to happen, but I'll take it. Here's a look back at the past year. I was lighter going into TSE last year, but I'm much stronger this year.
Screenshot_20230522-061635_Connect.jpg

Yikes, I need to get back in this. It's been a good 10 weeks since I tore my ACL and meniscus and I'm finally back to work. I'm getting more mobility but I definitely feel the weight gain of sitting on my ass and recovering. I've been staring at the scale thinking I need an update to get motivated, but I'm still niot active enough where I think I can start making progress losing weight. I've been back on the bike a little but with zero intensity. I've been just trying to get my knee ROM in check. I am starting to do better with my diet as I didn't want to fight recovery and be a calorie weenie at the same time, but I want to get back in better shape. I know things will be different in another month but I'm starting to get active and want to jump back in. That's progress at least right?

Still in the game
Just looked and it's been a month since my last post. Things have surely slowed down, getting out of the 230s took a long time it seems. Still doing the same things, though work has been getting in the way of riding lately. But averging 12-15k steps and 10 flights at work keeps it all in perspective.
New low
Hit 229.8 this morning

Yay for long weekends!

Weekly check in...

I was nervous about last weekend. I signed up for the Raven Enduro. I am not "training" by any means. So back to back days of long saddle time and climbing (15 miles and 2700' each day). I knew fueling would be critical.

I think I did ok... eating every hour with good food. I was tired by Stage 5 on Sunday but never felt the bonk. Just need more saddle time.

Splurged with the meal Sunday...and was at my Dad's Monday. We had Indian. But back on track Tuesday.

Legs are still tired but got in 2 days of riding and CrossFit. Pr'd on my strict press!

Back down 2 lbs, hovering at my low weight (113). This weekend family is in town so some treats.

Have a wonderful weekend!

E2M program R9W4D1

Diet
Another week of mostly ok. Mid-week went out to dinner with my MIL and parents to celebrate Mother's Day. Friday started vacation, Saturday was a family party, and Sunday was spent prepping to ship out for a week of the TSE 5day. Wasn't good with eating, beers were consumed and ice cream any of those days after my first meal. Packing food food for after each day's race stage, breakfast and dinner is included with the race registration. Not worried about what I will be consuming this week.

Exercise
Did the circuits M/W, a few walks on the lunch break, and dawn patrol on T and #notarace on Th at Belmont. Week's course was different as it was 5mi, 2 laps. Ended up at the pointy end again, around 11th, but was the 1st SS again. The youngsters at the front are all on gears. Will be riding the Pivot T429v3 for the week at TSE to handle all the #eastcoastrocks. A bit of a change this year. Stage 1 is run in reverse with some new stuff, Stage 2 is new, Stage 3 is the same dick kick, Stage 4 same, and Stage 5 is same but different in many ways.

Weight
Was surprised I saw a down week. Didn't think it was going to happen, but I'll take it. Here's a look back at the past year. I was lighter going into TSE last year, but I'm much stronger this year.
View attachment 214010

It is very tiring actually following this diet. I prefer to relax on the free spins. I found an interesting site that has a list of other sites that provide 10 free spins. You can still find 20, 30, 40, 50 and even 1000 free spins there. You can also check it out. It's free!
Beer and ice cream? Your diet is delicious :D Progress is unlikely to be rapid...

Last edited:
E2M program R9W4D1

Diet

Exercise

Weight
View attachment 214010
E2M program R9W5D1

Diet
Back from a week of TSE. Ate well. Breakfast for Meal #1 was provided and made mostly good choices. Cooked my own the last few days. Packed food for meal #2 post daily stage. Dinner was provided to all racers each evening. Supplemented with fruit, nuts, some chips and beer. Out on the course, hydration and fueling was on the bike. Stopped at the aid stations to munch on some solid food: Dixie cups of PBJ, fig bars, Pringles and M&M's, in that order, washed down with a cup of Coke before moving along. Got home yesterday and had a burger, beers and some ice cream.

Exercise
Conditions of the trails and the awesome weather provided much enjoyment during #singletracksummercamp and the #eastcoastrocks were very predictable being that they were very dry. Will do a race report in a separate thread. What I will say is that I was approximately 2h10m faster in '23 than '22 for overall time.

Weight
5/29/23 current weight = 184.6
Diff: weekly up 0.6, total lost = 50.8
All good with where I'm at. Will get back into the weekly pre-race routine. Will take a week to decide if I do a particular 101mile event that occurs towards the end of July.

E2M program R9W5D1

Diet
Back from a week of TSE. Ate well. Breakfast for Meal #1 was provided and made mostly good choices. Cooked my own the last few days. Packed food for meal #2 post daily stage. Dinner was provided to all racers each evening. Supplemented with fruit, nuts, some chips and beer. Out on the course, hydration and fueling was on the bike. Stopped at the aid stations to munch on some solid food: Dixie cups of PBJ, fig bars, Pringles and M&M's, in that order, washed down with a cup of Coke before moving along. Got home yesterday and had a burger, beers and some ice cream.

Exercise
Conditions of the trails and the awesome weather provided much enjoyment during #singletracksummercamp and the #eastcoastrocks were very predictable being that they were very dry. Will do a race report in a separate thread. What I will say is that I was approximately 2h10m faster in '23 than '22 for overall time.

Weight
5/29/23 current weight = 184.6
Diff: weekly up 0.6, total lost = 50.8
All good with where I'm at. Will get back into the weekly pre-race routine. Will take a week to decide if I do a particular 101mile event that occurs towards the end of July.
Good work! Keep going! NDO!

Back
Top Bottom