Gas powered bikes?

Fun group ride today - great weather, better people. Six of us rode, went through 5 covered bridges, lots of twists and turns and some straights to open it up a bit. Stopped at a General Store on the PA side just north of Frenchtown for coffee. Good times.

View attachment 223163
I met my brothers there (on bikes) for coffee and breakfast sammiches. We were standing across the lot watching the bikes come and go, and saw your crew roll in and out. Not a bad bike in the bunch, but which one is yours?

I met my brothers there (on bikes) for coffee and breakfast sammiches. We were standing across the lot watching the bikes come and go, and saw your crew roll in and out. Not a bad bike in the bunch, but which one is yours?

The Kawasaki W800. Bronze/brown paint with silver fairing.

Were you across the lot with the ADV bikes?

The Kawasaki W800. Bronze/brown paint with silver fairing.

Were you across the lot with the ADV bikes?
That was us. They were on Triumph Tiger 800, Kawi Versys 650, and Yamaha XZ550, which is a bit of an odd bird. I was in the Corolla hatch, which I love but is no substitute for riding, especially as nice as yesterday was.

Getting my motorcycle license this weekend. I need some input on brands, styles, reasons for my wife to quit complaining, etc. Or anyone have any for sale? Anyone ride with groups? I like the sportster style but I'm not sure I want to go overboard with a Harley. Plus I heard the maintenance is costly and frequent but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
I have a 2022 Kawasaki Versys 650 for sale $8300 only bike you will ever need

Attachments

• IMG_2061.jpeg
    IMG_2061.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 5
My friend Anthony picked up a 2007 Aprilia RSV Factory. He stopped by Sunday AM and we took a spin, ending up at my friend's shop.

Really neat bike. 1000cc 60 degree V-twin. Ohlin$ front and rear. OZ wheels. 15k miles on it but looks like it was never down. Michelin Road 3 tires suggest an owner who did not like leaning over. I was not clever enough to take a full pic of it - it's the black bike in the background.ApriliaFactory.jpg

A bit more #lookatme. NJMP Thunderbolt yesterday. Bumped to advanced group, which was a surprisingly formal affair, requiring sign-off (on actual paper) from two instructors. "Advanced" means open passing, which was awesome. Everyone is at least pretty fast so it was a lot less hectic. They are also comfortable passing and being passed.

passing.JPGin-five.JPG

A bit more #lookatme. NJMP Thunderbolt yesterday. Bumped to advanced group, which was a surprisingly formal affair, requiring sign-off (on actual paper) from two instructors. "Advanced" means open passing, which was awesome. Everyone is at least pretty fast so it was a lot less hectic. They are also comfortable passing and being passed.

View attachment 224345View attachment 224346

I gotta get down there next season.

View attachment 224345View attachment 224346
Which bike are you using there? I can't tell from the photo.

This reminds me of when we met, and you mentioned you'd done some road racing on the moto. Not something I encountered all that often.

Which bike are you using there? I can't tell from the photo.

This reminds me of when we met, and you mentioned you'd done some road racing on the moto. Not something I encountered all that often.
2011 Ducati 848 Evo.

Crazy to think how long ago that was. I was about a year out from racing motorcycles when we met.

@THATmanMANNY saw it! The Corse SE was the first of the 'small' Ducati Superbikes to get traction control.

There's a track Corse SE on Iconic that's been for sale for nearly 2 years. I think the seller has moved in the meantime. I spoke to him back in December '21, trying to rationalize buying it for ...reasons. I did not succeed. In the end, my bike is actually set up a bit better, minus the traction control.

Winter projects time. I finally sucked it up and rented a garage to store a car so I have a proper motorcycle area. First up is the Apriia. I picked up a programmable ignition/power valve controller. EDIT: While it has carbs, the bike is more sophisticated than you'd expect. It has a throttle position sensor, so the timing curve has 3 dimensions. It also has air selonoids that can be used to make subtle changes to the fuel-air ratio. The new controller includes an input for a quick shift sensor. It also lets you switch between two ignition and powevalve curves while running. It adds an output for a shift light too. It came with the same stock map my bike has already, as well as a 'race map for pump gas' whatever that is.

A friend gave me a couple pieces of race bodywork he had laying around. Coincidentally, the group at NJMP announced a 'small bike day' next season, so I know what i have to do...

Image 12-8-23 at 2.03 PM.jpeg

rs250-zeel.jpg

Last edited:
Winter projects time. I finally sucked it up and rented a garage to store a car so I have a proper motorcycle area. First up is the Apriia. I picked up a programmable ignition/power valve controller. EDIT: While it has carbs, the bike is more sophisticated than you'd expect. It has a throttle position sensor, so the timing curve has 3 dimensions. It also has air selonoids that can be used to make subtle changes to the fuel-air ratio. The new controller includes an input for a quick shift sensor. It also lets you switch between two ignition and powevalve curves while running. It adds an output for a shift light too. It came with the same stock map my bike has already, as well as a 'race map for pump gas' whatever that is.

A friend gave me a couple pieces of race bodywork he had laying around. Coincidentally, the group at NJMP announced a 'small bike day' next season, so I know what i have to do...

View attachment 228769

View attachment 228768
An Aprilia and a Ferrari in the same photo. When’s the last time that occurred around here?

Saw your GSW in the Clay Pit lot this AM. Running the 16’s for the winter?

Back
Top Bottom