2016 X-country ski thread

how is the wetter snow moving? is it faster?
Not faster. To make snow fast you need a firm base with just enough snow on top for skis to grab for traction and steering.

Right now the snow is soft and wet. Good traction an control but not much glide. The tracked stuff is ok. It's supposed to get cold in the coming nights, conditions should improve as the snow compresses.
It will freeze overnight, as it begins to soften during the day that will be the optimum time to hit it.

Yeah, I'm wondering how much longer the current snow will be ski-able in Monmouth County.

Mrs. G just borrowed a set of light-duty BC skis (70mm with partial metal edges) and 3-pin boots. My stuff shipped from Vermont yesterday.

I got the Rossignol BC-65 package off llbean a few years ago. I think it was like $400 and 20% off at the time? They are presumably heavy because of the full metal edges, but they are probably necessary for skiing in the woods. I also don't care about going fast, just getting exercise and enjoying the outdoors. They are the only skis I've ever used though, so I don't really know anything.

I have a set of normal xc skiis and a set of bc skiis. I think bc65
I always go for the bc setup. But if I had somewhere flat and smooth to ride (I don't) I'd use the traditional. I'd use xc for Mohonk though. They have no snow this year.
Any of the bike parks near me I'd go with bc.

I got the Rossignol BC-65 package off llbean a few years ago. I think it was like $400 and 20% off at the time? They are presumably heavy because of the full metal edges, but they are probably necessary for skiing in the woods. I also don't care about going fast, just getting exercise and enjoying the outdoors. They are the only skis I've ever used though, so I don't really know anything.
They have the best "pop" in the industry.....and you are fast:D

I went back to Thompson Park again yesterday. Conditions seemed better then 2 days ago, either that or I was feeling the rhythm of the diagnol stride. The snow firmed up, compressed a bit and in some sections were damn near perfect. Overall I'd call it frozen granular snow, not as good a groomed powder but still way better then a trainer in the basement watching I Dream of Jeannie. Major Nelson was an idiot.

I was able to throw down some skate in a few spots . I'm gonna try the golf course after work, condish may be good for skate skiing.

20160127_162609.jpg

@pooriggy, which ski's do you normally take on single track?
I use my Evo Tour skis for ST. Classic diagonal stride works better in tighter spots. That being said I can skate on my Evo's if conditions are conducive for it. Does this answer your question?

I use my Evo Tour skis for ST. Classic diagonal stride works better in tighter spots. That being said I can skate on my Evo's if conditions are conducive for it. Does this answer your question?

Those are not metal edged, yes?

I'm asking because I want to know if I will kill myself if I take my classic type ski's on ST.

Those are not metal edged, yes?

I'm asking because I want to know if I will kill myself if I take my classic type ski's on ST.
Everyone is hung up on the metal edge vrs non-metal edges. If snow is too hard/iced for my non-metal edged skis to bite into snow then conditions are good for mtbing...so I mtb.
The reason you will kill yourself in ST is because you have difficulty turning and staying in control on gentle downhills. Remember to snowplow when going downhill to keep your speed in check and step-turn in the direction you want to go.

Everyone is hung up on the metal edge vrs non-metal edges. If snow is too hard/iced for my non-metal edged skis to bite into snow then conditions are good for mtbing...so I mtb.
The reason you will kill yourself in ST is because you have difficulty turning and staying in control on gentle downhills. Remember to snowplow when going downhill to keep your speed in check and step-turn in the direction you want to go.

That is also why I was asking the question. Why does everyone want metal edges when Iggy goes faster than them on the same trails w/ non-metal edges. Something to do with skill?

Btw, I had kind of figured out how to slow myself on the downhills, but by the time I figured it out my legs were spent.

That is also why I was asking the question. Why does everyone want metal edges when Iggy goes faster than them on the same trails w/ non-metal edges. Something to do with skill?
I view the which skis should I buy the same way I view which bike should I buy. The bottom line is it really doesn't matter all that much, If you get out and put the time in you can make anything work well... but to put the time in you have to enjoy what you do...so do what you enjoy.

I view the which skis should I buy the same way I view which bike should I buy. The bottom line is it really doesn't matter all that much, If you get out and put the time in you can make anything work well... but to put the time in you have to enjoy what you do...so do what you enjoy.

Well, if the comparison is between a rigid mountain bike and a full suspension bike, I'm all good with the rigid. But not if it's going to be like riding a road bike a Ringwood.

Went skate skiing yesterday morning at Battleground State Park.
The key is you have to time it right and the right conditions. Open areas with no tracks or foot steps.
Wet snow that has frozen over. As it warms up in the morning the top 1/2" gets just enough grip.
My skis are narrow classic style wax skis , no metal edges (30 year old, just new boots and bindings).
It was perfect from about 9 to 10 am.
I hope i can head out one more time Saturday.
https://www.strava.com/activities/480461486
Noting better than nice tracks and perfect waxed skis or some skating in the right conditions.
I treasure the few days we get in any winter here in Monmouth county.

Last edited:
Before this goes too far in 2016......Iggy is VERY good and VERY light. The average Joe following his example will be frustrated and quit very quickly. Edged skis will go anywhere, anytime, anytemp, any conditions. I can ski across clear ice or slushy mud. Snowplowing an EVO is a living hell in anything but perfect conditions. You don't have to time your outings to conditions and temps with edges. A couple years back at HP IGGs beat the hell outta me w/ the 26rs help but he went down over 10 times to my 2. This ups the chance of getting eff'd up. This is on groomed track so imagine woods and trees. That same day Jim N(5 yrs less xc exp) cruised right by me on my recommended setup cause he's fitter and younger. I was beyond stoked that I had successfully spread the disease. You may end up a pure skate ski/resort skier but as mtb'rs it's not wise to start there. A few ounces of weight won't bother you at all and you'll feel way safer. Get BCNNN put them on and pretend your just pulling away from the dock on ice skates and you'll instantly be hooked:D

Can you provide some guidance on proper care and maintenance on metal edge types. I have Rossignol BC70, with BCNNN and real bummed to see the rust that has formed on the edges. You think they would use stainless, but apparenty not. Is that avoidable, and how do you service them.

Back
Top Bottom