2023 garden thread

Raritan Township Community Garden

My brother just moved to Raritan Twp - i'm not sure his place has a garden - cherryville section.

@Carson - my brother just moved into the Voller's property on Cherryville-Stanton. Concerns?

So I have just been lurking this thread because while I’ve been interested in doing a garden but I know I would get lazy and end up with everything dying off after I planted.

Meantime my wife’s friend gave her a Sicilian zucchini which have never seen before and this thing was huge.

My kids used my reading glasses for size context.

She sautéed it with garlic , oil, lemon, salt pepper and then some Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs sprinkled on top. Was very good.

B711F944-2672-4CE7-B008-B03434401AA2.jpeg

So I have just been lurking this thread because while I’ve been interested in doing a garden but I know I would get lazy and end up with everything dying off after I planted.

Meantime my wife’s friend gave her a Sicilian zucchini which have never seen before and this thing was huge.

She sautéed it with garlic , oil, lemon, salt pepper and then some Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs sprinkled on top. Was very good.

View attachment 221746
Ah the memories! Those were a big part of the diet we followed during our long vacation in Sicily. Long because it was free and the only vacation we could afford, staying at my aunt's house for a month, which meant we would usually double our body weight as kids...

View attachment 221746
Wow! Never seen one of these. Will have to look into it...

View attachment 221746

holy hell - Googootz
(is this the american version of the Italian slang??)

Anybody getting a second wave of zucchinis and summer squash? Lots more on the plants if the temps don't dip too far.

Reactions: SAM
Anybody getting a second wave of zucchinis and summer squash? Lots more on the plants if the temps don't dip too far.
Plants look pretty horrible but still getting a few. Got one zuch and two summers yesterday. One summer squash got away from me and got to be club sized. Also, picked the last of the spaghetti squash and one last small acorn.

IMG_0165.jpg

And some of the best looking tomatoes all season.

IMG_0163.jpg

4 deer sleeping in my fenced garden today.
looks like one tried to jump over, didn't make it, tore out the mesh, and the others walked right in.....
the didn't really eat anything - although one of the fawns got spooked, and ran into the mesh, cartoon rebound.

Back
Top Bottom