2023 garden thread

SAM

Everything's coming in nicely, will be over crowded in no time
Soon to be overcrowded for me too. You can get away with it somewhat with raised beds but I always tend to overdo it. Everything looks nicest this time of year.

pibbles

Pulled the figs out of their 41F hibernation room last weekend.
Last year was a crummy fig year - looks like they want to make up for it.
A ton of confused buds decided to become fruit.
More on the other trees too.

camera was totally confused about what i wanted a picture of.

View attachment 211680

obviously i haven't participated in the lawn thread yet....
Fig trees currently under attack by lantern fly nymphs. Suggestions? Trying neem oil...

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My wife is handling this whole project. She laid all the brick, I just dug out the spot.
Plants and seeds are in zucchini has already sprouted.
We went with tomato and pepper plants. seeds for carrots, zucchini, various lettuce and cucumber. Also threw in some sunflower for a pop of color. IMG_20230602_074546427.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Fig trees currently under attack by lantern fly nymphs. Suggestions? Trying neem oil...

i better go check mine - don't remember it happening last year.
no suggestions other than sticky traps

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
IMG_2209.jpeg
Over the winter I rebuilt the one side with the gate on the left garden, actually put the posts in concrete so I can lean on it without fear of toppling it. Planted a few tomatoes really early, like April 15 and and they are doing well. Pretty standard tomatoes, this year, black Cherry, early girls, Bradley, Rutgers, sweet 100’s, pineapple something (the yellow with the red star pattern), German Johnson, San marzano, black Krim and a few others I am sure I forgot. Snap peas, green beans, eggplant, Japanese eggplant, a few types of cukes, Cubano peppers, red bell pepper and ofcourse cilantro, basil and parsley

qclabrat

View attachment 215078
Over the winter I rebuilt the one side with the gate on the left garden, actually put the posts in concrete so I can lean on it without fear of toppling it. Planted a few tomatoes really early, like April 15 and and they are doing well. Pretty standard tomatoes, this year, black Cherry, early girls, Bradley, Rutgers, sweet 100’s, pineapple something (the yellow with the red star pattern), German Johnson, San marzano, black Krim and a few others I am sure I forgot. Snap peas, green beans, eggplant, Japanese eggplant, a few types of cukes, Cubano peppers, red bell pepper and ofcourse cilantro, basil and parsley
Are those plots 8x8 or 10x10? Looks like they get good sun. We put our garden on one side of the property and now after over 10 years trees are starting to shade some sections.

SAM

Picked broccoli, 5 heads on the 3rd and the remaining 3 on the 4th. Cauliflower heads are coming on too.

IMG_8406.jpg
IMG_8387.jpg
IMG_8409.jpg

Broccoli, ham and cheese quiche!
IMG_8405.jpg
First tomatoes are on the vine. These are Beefsteak.
IMG_8438.jpg

qclabrat

Garden falling into disarray with landscaping timber not behaving like treated lumber. Not in the budget to update and I'd rather have new soil delivered before new wood. Since splitting my time in Warren and Highlands now have two gardens to manage, though the Sandy Hook garden is considerably smaller.
Peas area blooming
Bean coming up, pole and bush
Tomatoes flowering, mostly Celebrities and black/gold cherries. No crims or Cherokees, my favorites.
Peppers are planted
Canola green and bok choy
Zucchini and summer squash
MrsQ doing the lettuce, spinach and arugula this year
Planted today cucumbers, butternut, pumpkin, watermelon

PXL_20230606_153556663.jpg
PXL_20230606_155045172.jpg
My grandmother passed last year at aged 103. She also liked to garden and I'm growing a bed of canola greens in her memory. She never made rows and instead scattered the seeds. But looks like my technique needs work. Will thin them next week.PXL_20230606_154808985.jpg

Top Bottom