2023 garden thread

Can this be saved? It has nice small orange flowers. Tried trimming early spring but it was like this starting end of last fall too
F639EF00-C647-4924-9254-BF4A3B4C9575.jpeg

Impressive vegetable garden enclosures, really neat. I built mine in emergency mode due to groundhog and deer attacks to the watermelon plantation my wife had going on last year, it's a bunch of stacks and loose chicken wire, I wouldn't take a picture of it if I had to. I was originally inspired by @stb222 setup to go that way, but I must confess that @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST setup resonated louder to me due to being a kit... @qclabrat setup blows my mind, those vegetables must be thinking to be in Gitmo, outstanding!

For those with smaller flower beds I highly recommend the book below.

Square Foot Gardening
images

Broccoli side crowns came in nicely. Not a bad yield from the eight plants. Also picked three more crowns of cauliflower. Crowns have a purplish color but not a purple variety. I'm pretty happy with how the broccoli and cauliflower did this year. Weather was ideal.

IMG_8608.jpg
IMG_8611.jpg
IMG_8615.jpg
IMG_8614.jpg

Reactions: SAM
Nice, out of my 10 or so plants I only see 1 small crown starting. So I was probably too late getting it in
That was my problem. I'd start them too late and the crowns would just be starting when it was getting hot. Also, there would be early heat waves, which did not help. But I'm learning. Start as early as possible and use shade cloth in case of heat wave.

Had this viney weird bush/tree in this spot and finally ripped it out and put up this fence to block the trash cans and interrupt the view from my driveway to me backyard. Pressure treated Posts in concrete and 5/4 PT boards for the slats. Had a scrap board that I made a shelf with and hung some trowels and small pick/cultivator. IMG_2408.jpegIMG_2409.jpeg

I’m curious to what you yield will be, I had 6-8 plants for 3-4 years and the yield was pretty small and I ended up taking them out
First time with them. 6 plants and have them in a raised planter so time shall tell.

I don't even have flowers yet, were yours plants or from seed? Mine were seed but started inside. @SAM did you put in zucchinis/summer squash?
Yes, I seeded 'Fordhook' zucchini indoors on May 2 and transplanted to garden on May 14 after four or five days hardening off. I also seeded "Butterstick" summer squash (yellow zucchini) directly in the garden around May 8. They took a while to germinate, so growth is behind the Fordhooks.

Here they are on June 11. Two Butterstick plants in the front left and two Fordhook plants in the front right. Two Fordhook plants in the back left and two Butterstick plants in the back right.
IMG_8518.jpg

Also, there are two 'Early Prolific Straightneck Squash' plants in the center. I started those indoors on May 2 from the last few seeds in a packet from 2017 but they didn't germinate. I seeded the Buttersticks direct in the garden as replacements. Then, the Early Prolific Straightnecks started to germinate after 18 days, so I put two in the center of the planting and they're doing well.

Here's what they look like this morning (June 20). Zuchs are coming.
IMG_8941.jpg
IMG_8944.jpg
IMG_8943.jpg

Of course all this is over planted and crowded. I'll let the vines grow over the sides of the boxes but it may get messy. There are LOTS of cucumber beetles all over them right now. It's a battle to try to control them.

Back
Top Bottom