Ask an automobile mechanic.

Backing plate is optional. Don't worry about it.

Noise sounds like U-joints unless some rusty thing is rubbing on another rusty thing. The version you sent me sounded like potatoes in a garbage can. See if you get a noticeable clunk shifting forward/reverse. Sometimes there will be some rust dust around the joint if it's eating itself.

Wonderful. Assuming U-joint, should I be able to replicate the issue if I jack up the rear of the car and give it some gas?

Wonderful. Assuming U-joint, should I be able to replicate the issue if I jack up the rear of the car and give it some gas?
Maybe but it might not squeak without load. If you have the rear jacked up and no load on the drivetrain you might be able to locate play in the joint. Lemme see if I can find a vid

Backing plate is optional. Don't worry about it.

Noise sounds like U-joints unless some rusty thing is rubbing on another rusty thing. The version you sent me sounded like potatoes in a garbage can. See if you get a noticeable clunk shifting forward/reverse. Sometimes there will be some rust dust around the joint if it's eating itself.
The shifting forward reverse is pretty smooth. Like butter.

I think mine sounds more squeaky than that but the sound pattern and where it's coming from is the same. That one sounded more sshh shhh.
It could be something dumb like a rusty rotor or drum rubbing on (what's left) of the backing plate. Jacking it up and listening is valid just be careful.

It could be something dumb like a rusty rotor or drum rubbing on (what's left) of the backing plate. Jacking it up and listening is valid just be careful.
So I jacked it up and put it in reverse and heard the sound immediately. If I gave it gas, the noise went away. But if I started to brake the chirp got louder until the brake engages enough to stop the wheels. In the video below, I didn't give it any gas. Kinda thinking it's the rear brakes now. Gonna try spraying a bunch of brake clean and see what happens.

So I jacked it up and put it in reverse and heard the sound immediately. If I gave it gas, the noise went away. But if I started to brake the chirp got louder until the brake engages enough to stop the wheels. In the video below, I didn't give it any gas. Kinda thinking it's the rear brakes now. Gonna try spraying a bunch of brake clean and see what happens.

Noise mostly went away with brake clean. Now only a few squeaks at the tail end of braking (with no load). Guess I'll drive it around for a while and if it comes back I'll give the rears a more thorough clean and wipe down. What is that paste/grease stuff that you use when you put on the brake pads?

Was it more noticeable one side or the other?

Noise mostly went away with brake clean. Now only a few squeaks at the tail end of braking (with no load). Guess I'll drive it around for a while and if it comes back I'll give the rears a more thorough clean and wipe down. What is that paste/grease stuff that you use when you put on the brake pads?
You don't put paste ON the pads. It's for the backing plates and hardware. Brake pads work much better when there's some friction involved. ;)

FWIW the pads are always in slight contact with the rotors, if everything is a bit rusty some noise isn't unusual. If you still have pad material, nothing is loose or leaking and it stops, wouldn't worry about it.

Was it more noticeable one side or the other?
Left side more than right. Might be totally on left side. Also, I should note that when I sprayed brake clean, the squeaking went away but it turned into more a mild grinding noise, so maybe there is some metal something is rubbing against and that eventually turns into a squeaking noise.

I know you don't put the paste on the pads :p Was just wondering what it was called. This? https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/gb/ceramic-paste-p000414.html#3418

A little noise is ok, but it had gotten loud enough to turn heads and annoy me so I'm trying to make it betterer. Gonna drive it around like this for a while and if it comes back, I'll try taking the brakes apart, clean, lube and back together.

since the truck sits around - noise is kinda normal with the brakes, until a bit of harder braking cleans the surfaces.

Com'on Dave - a little lube on the rotor and the squeak will go away.......

I had a GMC Pick up back in '16. Think squeaked like a banshee everytime I hit a bump. It was the stupid center cap that was held on by plastic lug nut covers. That was annoying.

Your video sounds like some shit in the brakes.

Dude. I realize it's a POS HD Truck but put some proper brakes on it before you kill yourself or someone else.

If you cant do it yourself just pay someone. It's not that expensive.

Dude. I realize it's a POS HD Truck but put some proper brakes on it before you kill yourself or someone else.

If you cant do it yourself just pay someone. It's not that expensive.
I don't know yet that there is anything wrong with the brakes. It might just be something in there rubbing. I had a mechanic go over it and he didn't say anything. I'll find out more when I take the wheels off and take off the rotors.

;)
Left side more than right. Might be totally on left side. Also, I should note that when I sprayed brake clean, the squeaking went away but it turned into more a mild grinding noise, so maybe there is some metal something is rubbing against and that eventually turns into a squeaking noise.

I know you don't put the paste on the pads :p Was just wondering what it was called. This? https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/gb/ceramic-paste-p000414.html#3418

A little noise is ok, but it had gotten loud enough to turn heads and annoy me so I'm trying to make it betterer. Gonna drive it around like this for a while and if it comes back, I'll try taking the brakes apart, clean, lube and back together.
Any silicone-based brake part lube is fine, whatever the store carries. Put it on caliper slide pins, between the pads and mounts/tabs, back of the pads, etc.

Be careful of the parking brake shoes on those (if I recall correctly). They're a tiny set of drum brake shoes inside the rotor hat. Very prone to seizing/sticking and getting stuck in the rotor.

Back
Top Bottom