Ask an automobile mechanic.

Well its been just shy of 12 years since I bought my focus. 180,000 miles....so far nothing has ever broken on it that has stopped it from driving...Until yesterday
1684180507376.png

Coolant junction that connects to the head, gasket has seemed to have retired. As it was pissing coolant out, I decided to have it towed

That's pretty awesome. Not a DCT (powershift?) car, I'm assuming.
Ya I ordered it with a 5 speed, no touch screen, no electronic climate control.....simple as possible. That said @pooriggy got 300k out of his DCT focus
Only things that have broken on this car is the door keypad wore out, but I always lock my keys in my car and use it
One of those little aluminum caps on my rear shock
my drivers power window seems to currently works when it feels like it.

Nothing much I can complain about for an $18,900 car.

2013 Subaru Outback with 230,000 miles. I need another two years out of it. Currently using half a quart of oil a week while driving about 500-600 miles per week.

Within the past three days, it gets close to overheating once I start driving. I'll keep the A/C off and watch the temp rise for about 10 minutes. Then, once the fever breaks, the temp drops and levels off and is fine for my 45 minutes commutes on Route 1.

I'm thinking that the thermostat is sticking, and that once it opens up I'm fine. Is that a reasonable guess with a reasonable solution, or should I be looking elsewhere?

thermostat is a possibility but before you go tearing into it.

did you check your coolant level? it almost sounds like the overflow reservoir has been allowed to run out, when the car cools it pulls in an air bubble which then needs to work its way out, and as the coolant heats up it expands, once it pushes the air out the system works as designed.

did you check your coolant level? it almost sounds like the overflow reservoir has been allowed to run out, when the car cools it pulls in an air bubble which then needs to work its way out, and as the coolant heats up it expands, once it pushes the air out the system works as designed.
This is VERY solid advice

Thanks for the advice, but what kind of idiot drives around with high temperature readings without checking their coolant level. I just re-filled the radiator and reservoir last week. That's like hitting the trails without checking your tire pressure.

Oh... wait.... I just went out and checked. It IS low. What an IDIOT I am! I just topped off both the radiator and the reservoir with the appropriate mix and will keep checking. Could be a leak (tho I haven't seen any puddles) or could be from changing the upper hose a few months ago and having an air bubble in the system. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice, but what kind of idiot drives around with high temperature readings without checking their coolant level. I just re-filled the radiator and reservoir last week. That's like hitting the trails without checking your tire pressure.

Oh... wait.... I just went out and checked. It IS low. What an IDIOT I am! I just topped off both the radiator and the reservoir with the appropriate mix and will keep checking. Could be a leak (tho I haven't seen any puddles) or could be from changing the upper hose a few months ago and having an air bubble in the system. Thanks for the advice!

no matter how much you bleed the system when you have to open it up, there always seems to be some air that has to work itself out over time, hopefully thats all it was.

In the end we both might have been right. I was low on coolant and the reservoir was dry so that was my bad. I filled it on Wednesday and smooth sailing until this morning, when my temp spiked again. Plenty of fluid in the radiator and re. Time to change the thermostat

BMW recommends a brake fluid flush at 30k miles. My neighbor who owns a repair shop said don't bother. What say you?

BMW recommends a brake fluid flush at 30k miles. My neighbor who owns a repair shop said don't bother. What say you?

brake fluid does absorb moisture out of the environment but that makes a time based interval more realistic than a milage based one, the fluid doesnt care if you drive 5k a year or 30k a year it absorbs the same amount in a given amount of time. Unless you are driving on track or other type of aggressive driving which uses the brakes its unlikely you need it.

I have 123k on my truck with the factory fill brake fluid in it, thats 6.5 years, no problems (but its probably due at this point)

That said, amsoil recommends a 2 year fluid change to keep up with that moisture absorbtion, some sources say you have as much as 5 years, but leaving the brake fluid alone isnt likely to hurt anything if you only drive on the street.

Back
Top Bottom