Bad Driving

There is something interesting about a line of cars standing standing at a stop light that defines a drivers state of mind. On one hand when the light turns green if everyone was paying attention to the light everyone could release their brakes and move in a timely manner.

However what really happens is everyone just stares at the bumper in front of them then hits the gas when the car in front moves 10 feet.

Yes you can't smash into the car in front of you but it would be interesting at least for once a line of 20 cars actually all move through a light without it turning red on the 20th car.

I have noticed this is worse when the red light is obscured around a bend or a tree. If the line of cars can't see the light then the traffic moves up slower as they just stare at the car in front and have no reference of red and green light.
The point being you need to look at road signs AND objects in your way, including cars, pedestrians, bicycles etc. In the specific situation, I give the driver in front of me a few seconds to change his/her mind in order to avoid bumping the rear bumper, as you said, in case he/she does.

I wrote a woman for driving through her own living room. I wrote a priest and called him Padre.

But this guy I would let go. He's been punished enough.
Not to second guess the cops reaction not having been there, but would you have jumped to the other side of the guard rail? When you have pulled people over, do you look for an escape path in case things go wrong and you need cover?

Reactions: rlb
Not to second guess the cops reaction not having been there, but would you have jumped to the other side of the guard rail? When you have pulled people over, do you look for an escape path in case things go wrong and you need cover?

I thought the same thing. That guy was so lucky to run parallel to the guardrail and not get flattened.

I'd like to say yes, but honestly until you have that car humming towards you at 100mph, it's hard to know if I'd have done the "right" thing. I never liked having a guard rail next to me on the passenger side approach. Psychologically the shoulder always felt narrower with a guard rail and the chance of surviving that type of impact if I DIDN'T jump the guard rail was probably zero. Given the choice, I would want to get thrown clear rather than pinned between the stopped car and the guard rail. But it's 99% dumb luck even if you do everything right.

On multiple occasions, when I had an arrest or a lengthy interview in this type of situation, I would explain my concern to the driver or suspect and we would BOTH conduct the interview, arrest, or search on the far side of the guard rail.

Now, why are we just hearing this?

Priest from Leonardo. Irish brogue, 280 pounds, in "uniform". Doing 55 in a 30. I wrote him something...either a seat belt or inspection or something. Basically the same break I would give anyone else. He said "bless you son" before heading out. I did worry about being struck by lightning for a few days.

I'd like to say yes, but honestly until you have that car humming towards you at 100mph, it's hard to know if I'd have done the "right" thing. I never liked having a guard rail next to me on the passenger side approach. Psychologically the shoulder always felt narrower with a guard rail and the chance of surviving that type of impact if I DIDN'T jump the guard rail was probably zero. Given the choice, I would want to get thrown clear rather than pinned between the stopped car and the guard rail. But it's 99% dumb luck even if you do everything right.

On multiple occasions, when I had an arrest or a lengthy interview in this type of situation, I would explain my concern to the driver or suspect and we would BOTH conduct the interview, arrest, or search on the far side of the guard rail.

you know if you are standing there, and they cross the double yellow to give you room, you might terminate your DWI stop to run them down and give them a ticket.
same person that won't cross a double yellow for a cyclist, but will go around a garbage truck or farm equipment on a blind curve in a second.

I have found new information concerning the lack of use of directionals.
I swear this happened just now. Wish i was videoing.
At the end local car wash with brushes, and reused drying towels (someone give @Carson some smelling salts.)

the person in front of me gets into their car.
gets out of the car, and starts talking to the attendant.
starts pointing at a section of the car - and i'm thinking it got scratched, or a clip pulled out.
no - he is pointing at his left directional being on. (not the emergency flashers they use to signal the guys that the car needs the wheel brite)
the attendant gets in the car, and turns it off.

so we either have someone so entitled that they can't turn off their own directional
or
they didn't know how (my guess)

OWM in a QX60

Last edited:
Slightly off topic here...landscaping trucks. If I need to do something that blocks a lane of a road, I'd presumably need to apply for a permit, get in touch with the police to direct traffic, etc. If I'm a landscaper, I just park the truck in the middle of the lane and make everyone go around me? I've had so many close calls trying to get around these giant trailer setups on the back roads around me, both with guys on riding mowers who just kind of drive wherever, as well as oncoming traffic which can be extremely difficult to account for on some of the more winding roads. Sometimes they'll put down a cone which is nice, but not sure that it accomplishes much.

Slightly off topic here...landscaping trucks. If I need to do something that blocks a lane of a road, I'd presumably need to apply for a permit, get in touch with the police to direct traffic, etc. If I'm a landscaper, I just park the truck in the middle of the lane and make everyone go around me? I've had so many close calls trying to get around these giant trailer setups on the back roads around me, both with guys on riding mowers who just kind of drive wherever, as well as oncoming traffic which can be extremely difficult to account for on some of the more winding roads. Sometimes they'll put down a cone which is nice, but not sure that it accomplishes much.
The guys on the lawnmowers are kind of the worst.

Sure, they set up the trailer in a bad spot in front of someone's lawn where traffic has to now go around them and limited sight visibility. But then on top of that they just ride out into the road in front of you without really looking.

Oddly enough, maybe landscapers are a NJ thing? I don't see a lot of landscaper trucks where I now live in WNC as I guess everyone does their own lawns? Or people care less about perfect lawns?

The guys on the lawnmowers are kind of the worst.

Sure, they set up the trailer in a bad spot in front of someone's lawn where traffic has to now go around them and limited sight visibility. But then on top of that they just ride out into the road in front of you without really looking.

Oddly enough, maybe landscapers are a NJ thing? I don't see a lot of landscaper trucks where I now live in WNC as I guess everyone does their own lawns? Or people care less about perfect lawns?

Everywhere down here. And yes a pita as they park along the residential roads even on curves, blocking one lane.

There is a NJ aw about being parked at least two feet (I think it was two feet) from the centerline of a roadway. Obscure statute I only used a few times in 25 years.

There is a NJ aw about being parked at least two feet (I think it was two feet) from the centerline of a roadway. Obscure statute I only used a few times in 25 years.
As a Police Officer, did you guys have an internal challenge to write tickets for obscure laws?

I would imagine when handing out the notepad of tickets to an asshole you'd like the last one to be "Failure to display horseless carriage warning sign on front of horseless carriage" or something.

Two feet from the centerline?!? That seems super lenient in terms of allowing people to just park in the road.

Two feet from the centerline?!? That seems super lenient in terms of allowing people to just park in the road.

It's one of many parking statutes. However, if nothing else applies (and there are plenty), you still need to park so you are not closer than two feet from the centerline. It's basically in place to allow alternating traffic to pass on a roadway and allow emergency vehicle access on rural/suburban areas where there are little to no parking signage.

As a Police Officer, did you guys have an internal challenge to write tickets for obscure laws?

I would imagine when handing out the notepad of tickets to an asshole you'd like the last one to be "Failure to display horseless carriage warning sign on front of horseless carriage" or something.

Internal, no. But I did take pride in coming up with some doozies. If you were an asshole and earned one of these, I was happy to oblige you. And most other guys thought I was a weirdo.

Truckers cannot have a TV in view of the driver. WROTE IT.

You cannot walk in a roadway where a sidewalk is present. WROTE IT.

You cannot drive through a parking lot to avoid a traffic control device. WROTE IT.

You cannot ride a bicycle without brakes. WROTE IT.

You cannot ride a bicycle without reflectors or an audible device. WROTE IT.

You cannot ride a bicyce on the sidewalk. WROTE IT.

You cannot drive across a sidewalk at more than 4mph. WROTE IT.

You cannot discharge a passenger on the roadway without setting the parking brake. WROTE IT.

My favorite: I wrote a guy for "loading as to spill" for having empty beer cans in the bed of his pick up truck. The "loading" statute was intended for dump trucks without covers over the load.

It should be noted that the same guy, a local drug dealer, earned most of the bicycle and pedestrian violations during one of summers on the patrol bike.

Back
Top Bottom